GAA books for the stocking

Started by ONeill, October 27, 2009, 11:36:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Enjoyiong the autographed copy of HARTE that wung its way under the tree in Reno.

Good reading, interesting to see the values that have shaped the man into what he is.

Minder

Fella I work with from Tyrone was very disappointed in Hartes book, too much preaching in his opinion.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Shazam on December 24, 2009, 04:57:33 PM
Just been given that Evolution of GAA by Donal McAnallen amongst others, only flicked through but it seems to be well written and researched, the appendixes in particular are brilliant, every Ulster final team since donkeys and every Ulster championship result as well. Contributions as well from Mary McAleese, Joe Lennon, Maurice Hayes, Cardinal Brady, Mickey Harte amongst others.

Speaking of St. Michael of Harte, I have also been informed that one of my presents under the tree is his latest offering, will let ya know what I think of it.

edit: In expectation of the inevitable book vouchers tomorrow, what good GAA history books would you recommend? Mianly the formation and early days, but one that goes the whole way would be good?

Got this book myself, only read bits of interest to Cavan so far. There is a really interesting chapter on the 1947 AI in the polo grounds. It would bring a tear to your eye the description of the celebrations and what the win meant to the Cavan as well as what the event meant to the GAA in general. The untimely death of PJ Duke and John Joe O Reilly shortly after were also terrible tragedy's in the county. Its like reading about a different county on a different planet.

Puckoon

Enjoying hartes book when I can steal it off the brother - you'd think he'd have had the decency to read it before he gave it to me, and not afterwards.

Harte really thought Gavin Devlin was the business. Except for the lack of pace. Interesting and I suppose you can see it in his reading of the game in the 03 SAM winning team.

Celt_Man

Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 23, 2009, 09:48:31 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on December 21, 2009, 01:03:05 AM
I couldn't leave Harte's book down. Read it in about two days. College attendance was badly effected. At the start it is very much about his religous beliefs but that is only to show how he got through all the tradegies that happened. In fairness to him, he really opens up his mind and gives a deep insight into his life philosophy. The man is very motivating and passionate..Wish we had him in Cavan :)

I hate half arsed biography and Breheny is such a dull writer. Micko's story is interesting but Breheny just didn't write interestingly.

Last man Standing is brilliant. If any of you are goalkeepers expecially I can't recommend reading it enough.

Working a Dream will be in my stocking this year, heard a lot of good things about it. Be nice to hear what goes on in other unsuccesful counties....

I threw it in the corner after the first chapter and a half. The religious sermons are too much... he's a GAA manager ffs, not the Bishop of Tyrone  :-\  like he has some monopoly on spiritual living.   

Aye not knowing much about the man I was surprised to see all the spiritual craic in there but I read through that part anyway coz I had faith (no pun intended) that it was gonna be a good book and in fairness it is.   Gives a good insight in the full time mentality needed to achieve at the top level.  Also if you read through the lines, it shows he is one ruthless fooker too
GAA Board Six Nations Fantasy Champion 2010

ONeill

"You know the drill". Who says that an awful lot of times?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Dinny Breen

Just finished 'Working on a Dream', couldn't recommend it enough. Very enjoyable fair and your heart really goes out to the Waterford footballers.
#newbridgeornowhere

ballinaman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 02, 2010, 11:10:33 AM
Just finished 'Working on a Dream', couldn't recommend it enough. Very enjoyable fair and your heart really goes out to the Waterford footballers.
+1. One portion of the book was way off though with regards to Paul Ogles cruciate injury that was supposed to have occured prior to the Meath game in the championship. Ogle lined out for Tramore in the championship in september so he didn't have a cructiate injury, basically that bit of the book was made up. Thought Lawlor should have left that bit out of the book following that.

magpie seanie

Quote from: longrunsthefox on December 23, 2009, 09:48:31 PM
Quote from: put-it-up on December 21, 2009, 01:03:05 AM
I couldn't leave Harte's book down. Read it in about two days. College attendance was badly effected. At the start it is very much about his religous beliefs but that is only to show how he got through all the tradegies that happened. In fairness to him, he really opens up his mind and gives a deep insight into his life philosophy. The man is very motivating and passionate..Wish we had him in Cavan :)

I hate half arsed biography and Breheny is such a dull writer. Micko's story is interesting but Breheny just didn't write interestingly.

Last man Standing is brilliant. If any of you are goalkeepers expecially I can't recommend reading it enough.

Working a Dream will be in my stocking this year, heard a lot of good things about it. Be nice to hear what goes on in other unsuccesful counties....

I threw it in the corner after the first chapter and a half. The religious sermons are too much... he's a GAA manager ffs, not the Bishop of Tyrone  :-\  like he has some monopoly on spiritual living.   

Well shame on him for bringing some of his life outside GAA management into his autobiography!

Personally I thought it was excellent. I wouldn't share the strength of his faith but was aware of it and I think it's really interesting how he applies this and other facets of his personality to his team management. How himself, his teams and others have dealt with tragedies and the perspective they have on football's place in life. I actually wasn't expecting it to be as good as I found it but like the majority I couldn't put it down.

Got Micheál's Odyssey one for Christmas as well and not expecting too much. Haven't started it yet.

Nally Stand

Ressurecting a new topic, but better thatn starting a new thread. Just curious if any of you have read Micheal's GAA Odyssey?? And also what would you all rate as the No. 1 GAA book?/Autobiography?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

IolarCoisCuain

The best GAA book is "Over the Bar," by Breandán Ó hEithir: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Over-Bar-Personal-Relationship-GAA/dp/1903464749

Over the Bar is around a long time now but Michael Foley's Kings of September, about Offaly and Kerry in 1982, runs it close. It really is superb. But I'm guessing from your avatar that you might have caught up with it already? If not, run out and buy it. Run. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kings-September-Offaly-Denied-Kerry/dp/1847171184/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279321440&sr=1-4

The GAA: A People's History is lovely book too, but it's more a coffee table effort than literary nourishment like the other two.

If anyone wants to work on their Irish you could do worse than Seán Óg de Paor's autobiography "Lá an Phaoraigh." The Irish is relatively easy and sports books are easy to read by their nature. http://www.cic.ie/product.asp?idproduct=1172

Nally Stand

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on July 17, 2010, 12:07:05 AM
The best GAA book is "Over the Bar," by Breandán Ó hEithir: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Over-Bar-Personal-Relationship-GAA/dp/1903464749

Over the Bar is around a long time now but Michael Foley's Kings of September, about Offaly and Kerry in 1982, runs it close. It really is superb. But I'm guessing from your avatar that you might have caught up with it already? If not, run out and buy it. Run. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kings-September-Offaly-Denied-Kerry/dp/1847171184/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279321440&sr=1-4

The GAA: A People's History is lovely book too, but it's more a coffee table effort than literary nourishment like the other two.

If anyone wants to work on their Irish you could do worse than Seán Óg de Paor's autobiography "Lá an Phaoraigh." The Irish is relatively easy and sports books are easy to read by their nature. http://www.cic.ie/product.asp?idproduct=1172

Don't let the avatar fool you, it's my club shirt :) I'm no Offaly man!

Cheers for the advice though, never read the limerick hurling one-Unlimited Heartache, or that Michael's GAA Odyssey one but now I've more to decide between! Cheers!
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

IolarCoisCuain

Apologies Nally Stand. Still, there are worse men to be mistaken for. I've fierce admiration for Offaly. To do what they've done from a very small population base - I always admire them.

A friend of mine read the Limerick one recently - there's no holds barred I believe. Very frank. If the Board down there had any sense, they'd put back Tom Ryan. Of course, being the men they are, they'll probably send for Babs...