Charlie Vernon

Started by T O Hare, January 23, 2009, 02:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Our Nail Loney

Quote from: Drung on January 23, 2009, 10:37:45 AM
QuoteHe has excelled at every level he has played at

Every level bar senior inter-county.

So far.

Jesus Christ give him a chance... I am a big fan of Vernon, think he has been fantastic when I have seen him play for Queens over the last few years...

How could he show the same levels being played out of position and given strict instructions which hamper his natural game??

I would love to see him get a run with McGrane in the league, and given teh free rein he gets for QUB, see how he excels...

Minder

Personally i think its ridiculous to start a thread on an individual player in January that has "excelled" in a glorified, tarted up pre season tournament. Nothing against Vernon as he didnt start the thread.........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

corn02

So far.

Has only been on the starting team for one year, many of the best players did not achieve greatness in theri first year.

DownFanatic

He doesn't drink nor does he eat crisps or chocolate.

Leo

The best up and coming natural gaelic player I have seen for a few of years. Will achieve massively.
Fierce tame altogether

Malone Aristocrat

T O'Hare - take this thread down. i'm sure the lad wouldn't thank you for it

Minder

Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on January 23, 2009, 11:24:05 AM

Agree
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Zulu

Why would you want to take it down? Some lads here obviously have a fairly high opinion of themselves, all this board is is a place where GAA fans can natter about various GAA related topics. If Charlie does check in here I'm sure he'll be happy some lads think so highly of him but he'll also know the hard work reaching the top entails. I don't think he'll start skipping training and take up the drink thinking he has made it because of this thread. It's only a bit of craic, lighten up FFS.

billy the kid

So far.

I would agree with Drung here, Charlie hasnt proved it at Senior intercounty level yet BUT he has only been on the panel 1 year and is very young.

I have seen Vernon play lots of times for Queens, Harps, Armagh and at underage and he does look a good player and I do think he will make an impression at Senior intercounty in the next few years, but I wouldnt be convinced that he is going to be a "Great" of the game, as some would have us believe.

Having seen him play in numerous teams and positions it is my opinion that his best positions are probably Mid field or CHB but he is never a forward, defensive or otherwise, and when played in WHF for Armagh last year he looked lost in most of the games and although he was working very hard he was played out of position. Against Fermanagh in the drawn Ulster final he dissapeared, but to be fair so did some much more seasoned players.

If Vernon was given a go in his more natural positions of Mid-Field or CHB i think he could make more of an impact for the Armagh county team.

He is a better Midfielder than Toner, but I think Toner will be given plenty of chances here as he is a favourite of McDonnell, and I would actually rate D McKenna from cross ahead of both and with McGrane a certainity its hard to see Vernon being given a fair shot here or claiming a spot.

At CHB, Donaghy is not going to be played here, A O'Rourke (good passer but bit slow and can be loose marker) is almost certain to be retained and any experimentation will involve C McKeever who is a great man marker but also has the feet of a Drunk epileptic, thus his distribution is a series of kicks for touch that make ronan O'Gara jealous. Vernon has good passing ability (not as good AOR but still good) and his marking and fitness levels are top notch. I would try him here for Armagh - but it wont happen.

Unfortunately, Vernon will probably be played out of position in the HF line again or as a third midfielder dropping between MF and HB line thus curbing his natural game and causing many a frustrated glance towards the management by Charlie and supporters.

If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

WhoAreYaWhoAreYa!

Quote from: Minder on January 23, 2009, 11:26:08 AM
Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on January 23, 2009, 11:24:05 AM

Agree

no call for ohare to take it down. thats what the threads are for.its his opinion.and he obviously isnt the only one who thinks hes a good player. i agree for one. he was brilliant last night.dominated, scored some cracking solo run points for a big man.

The GAA

Quote from: billy the kid on January 23, 2009, 11:50:42 AM

So far.

I would agree with Drung here, Charlie hasnt proved it at Senior intercounty level yet BUT he has only been on the panel 1 year and is very young.

I have seen Vernon play lots of times for Queens, Harps, Armagh and at underage and he does look a good player and I do think he will make an impression at Senior intercounty in the next few years, but I wouldnt be convinced that he is going to be a "Great" of the game, as some would have us believe.

Having seen him play in numerous teams and positions it is my opinion that his best positions are probably Mid field or CHB but he is never a forward, defensive or otherwise, and when played in WHF for Armagh last year he looked lost in most of the games and although he was working very hard he was played out of position. Against Fermanagh in the drawn Ulster final he dissapeared, but to be fair so did some much more seasoned players.

If Vernon was given a go in his more natural positions of Mid-Field or CHB i think he could make more of an impact for the Armagh county team.

He is a better Midfielder than Toner, but I think Toner will be given plenty of chances here as he is a favourite of McDonnell, and I would actually rate D McKenna from cross ahead of both and with McGrane a certainity its hard to see Vernon being given a fair shot here or claiming a spot.

At CHB, Donaghy is not going to be played here, A O'Rourke (good passer but bit slow and can be loose marker) is almost certain to be retained and any experimentation will involve C McKeever who is a great man marker but also has the feet of a Drunk epileptic, thus his distribution is a series of kicks for touch that make ronan O'Gara jealous. Vernon has good passing ability (not as good AOR but still good) and his marking and fitness levels are top notch. I would try him here for Armagh - but it wont happen.

Unfortunately, Vernon will probably be played out of position in the HF line again or as a third midfielder dropping between MF and HB line thus curbing his natural game and causing many a frustrated glance towards the management by Charlie and supporters.

Armagh folk would recognise that marking and tackling are major weaknesses in vernon's game. I think it's fair to say that well adjusted football people who have watched vernon play regularly would say midfield is the only spot for him. for the original reasons he can't play in defence

corn02

Was he not there for Kernan's last year?

I believe he is a shy enough fellah, probably would not appreciate the thread. But I suppose it is nice for people to give him such compliments.

BennyHarp

Potentially good player - hardly warrants a new thread!!
That was never a square ball!!

bennydorano

To say that tackling is a weakness in his game is incredible!  It's one of the strongest facets of his game.  Charlie could play CHB quite easily, some people seem to base the fact that he's not a good defender on one skinning that he did get from Micael O'Rourke in an Armagh U21 championship semi when Charlie was 18/19 yrs of age.  I've yet to see anyone else do it?  He is  a loose enough marker, but I'd imagine he'd have the class to curtail that instinct if given a job to do.  He gave a display of how CHB should be played against Carrickcruppen in the Armagh senior championship last year.

Over the Bar

mods ffs.   if you we started a new thread on every Tyrone panellist as good or better than CV there's be 30 new threads.;)   merge!!