Inisboffin drownings

Started by muppet, October 10, 2010, 11:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

I decided this merited a thread of it's own.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1010/inishboffin.html

Both named now on RTE.

From MayoNews: http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9430:cork-will-test-mayos-mettle&catid=26&Itemid=54

Sean Rice chose Ger on Mayo's best team of the last 50 years, at right-half back.

In winning an All-Ireland minor medal in 1971, Ger Feeney also won a glowing compliment from broadcaster Micheál O' Muircheartaigh: 'níl sé mór ach tá sé go han tapaigh.'
He captained Mayo to an under 21 Connacht title, and the following year was right-half back on the All-Ireland winning side.
His first of some seventy appearances for Mayo was in 1972 and for the following six years he never missed a league or championship match for the county. He was a replacement All-Star in 1975 and won the 'player of the tour' award on that All-Stars trip to America.

Ger's two sons, Richie and Alan, play for the current Mitchels senior team, playing the County Final on 24th next and have both worn the Mayo jersey like their father. He was a brother of County Secretary Sean Feeney. Ger was involved at many levels with the Mitchels over the decades and will be known to anyone who was ever involved with the club. He was a very sound, salt of the earth type of guy.

Donal was much better known as 'Skinty' and his escapades in light aircraft are well known not just in Castlebar,  but throughout Ireland. He owned the old Castlebar airport for a time and I believe that he is an uncle of current Mayo footballer Tom Cunniffe. They don't make them like Skinty any more.

Again my deepest sympathies to both families.
MWWSI 2017

REDCOL

orangeman

Tragic news for the families and communities.

RIP

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

O dear Lord thats terrible news, RIP to them both. Muppet your right, as far as I know Donal is Toms uncle.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

moysider

Very sad news.  Sympathies to all that belonged to and knew them. Didn't know the other man but I remember Ger Feeney well playing for the county. He was a great wing back.

Never beat the deeler

Terrible, terrible news.

My sympathy to both families
Hasta la victoria siempre

stephenite

RIP.

Did not realise Sean was related to, and despite my sometime issues with administration of the County board, it has to be said they have given some service to Mayo GAA between them.

Tubberman

Absolutely shocking and numbing news.
Couldn't believe it when I heard the rumour yesterday morning, which was unfortunately confirmed later in the day.

The county final had promised to be a fantastic occasion, for both Ballintubber and Castlebar, and for Ger Feeney almost more than anybody else. A native of Ballintubber, with his nephew as Ballintubber captain, and his two sons playing for Mitchels with Richie as captain (I think), he was proudly declaring after the semi's that whoever wins the final, a Feeney will be lifting the cup! 
So sad that he won't be there to see it. What should have been a fantastic occasion will be pretty sombre now. 

A terrible time for the Feeney and McEllin familes, their relatives, friends and the wider Castlebar and Ballintubber communities. RIP.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

From the Bunker

A sad day for the Castlebar people, Mitchels and Mayo GAA. RIP

Farrandeelin

Sad day surely, puts all petty squabbling in shade. RIP to both of them.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

AbbeySider

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 11, 2010, 09:12:17 AM
A sad day for the Castlebar people, Mitchels and Mayo GAA. RIP

It has hit Ballintubber very hard too as he played with us for years and his brothers and their families are deeply involved with Ballintubber as well as his nephews currently playing at senior level.

Deepest condolences to Alan and Richie who play for Mitchels and to the rest of his family, extended family and friends. Also condolences to the McEllin family. Its such a shocking tragedy.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a anam

Peter Solan the Great

Féadfaidh an chuid eile beirt fhear i Síochána. Bhí siad seirbhísigh fíneáil a Mhaigh Eo sa dá ghnó agus spórt.

westmayo

My sympathies to both families on this tragic event. RIP

RedandGreenSniper

I still haven't been able to process this shocking news. It is heartbreaking. Hopefully both families can summon the strength to get through the next few days. My thoughts are with them at this awful time.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

western exile