Parke KC Connacht Junior Club Champions

Started by Peter Solan the Great, October 06, 2010, 09:46:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

These two met in the quarter-final last year. The Score was 0-0 to 0-1 in favour of Islandeady and the islandeady score came minutes before the half time whistle. One of the maddest games i was ever at.

Both clubs have (naturally) been focusing on winning the Junior title. Parke recrouted some old and some new players. While Islandeady used the West Mayo experiment (more willingly) to blood players.

Both clubs badly need the title today, and for the loser the effects will probably be detrimental.

Personally, i hope it is Parke KC (as they are my club), but if it turns out to be Islandeady, i will not begrdge them it (unless we have a Joe Sheridan finish).

Here's to a good day in McHale park.

From the Bunker

The Parish of Parke claimed another Junior Title this eveing. Have to say that the winning scoreline was a little flattering to say the least.

Turning point of the Match was the point black save made by Goalkeeper Brendan Coyle mid way through the second half, if that had gone in, the result may have been different.

Although Dwayne Flynn got MOTM. My choice would have been Paul Moran (parke's No. 4). Did nothing wrong all day.

For the defeated Islandeady, i was impressed with the dependable Ollie Feeney as well as his brother Martin and Cormac Gordan.

Score of the game had to go to Pat Lynch. Who scored one of the best points out the corner on the railway end of the pitch.

For (a younger) Islandeady this defeat will be tough, they have now tasted defeat in two recent Junior finals. They must believe they can (but are not entitled to) win the title soon.

For Parke the Connacht dream starts, it is always hard to know what standard awaits them in the weeks ahead.

Footnote:
Tom Prendergast (I Think) and Paul Jordan (Both Mayo set-up) were at the match taking notes.

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 10, 2010, 07:38:14 PM
The Parish of Parke claimed another Junior Title this eveing. Have to say that the winning scoreline was a little flattering to say the least.

Turning point of the Match was the point black save made by Goalkeeper Brendan Coyle mid way through the second half, if that had gone in, the result may have been different.

Although Dwayne Flynn got MOTM. My choice would have been Paul Moran (parke's No. 4). Did nothing wrong all day.

For the defeated Islandeady, i was impressed with the dependable Ollie Feeney as well as his brother Martin and Cormac Gordan.

Score of the game had to go to Pat Lynch. Who scored one of the best points out the corner on the railway end of the pitch.

For (a younger) Islandeady this defeat will be tough, they have now tasted defeat in two recent Junior finals. They must believe they can (but are not entitled to) win the title soon.

For Parke the Connacht dream starts, it is always hard to know what standard awaits them in the weeks ahead.

Footnote:
Tom Prendergast (I Think) and Paul Jordan (Both Mayo set-up) were at the match taking notes.

Congrats to Parke on their County Title, good to see that the Mayo management is taking a look at our Junior clubs, even if we got 1 or 2 players from this level it may make a huge difference, also encourages Junior players at Junior Clubs.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

From the Bunker

From the grapevine, i am told that Parke will be playing Ballinasloe in Parke in two weeks time. Ballinasloe went down to a Maurice Sheridan inspired Salthill-Knocknacarra by 0-14 to 1-6. Salthill-Knocknacarra were down to 14 men for 50 minutes of the game. As this was Salthill-Knocknacarra's second team, Ballinasloe go onto represent Galway in the Junior Grade.

Peter Solan the Great

Fair play to Islandeady. They lost 8 starting players to emigration in the middle of the season and had to replace them with Minors and under 21's and still made the final. It should be two teams coming out of Junior anyway. A competition with 40 teams in it. Its too hard to come up.

Lets not forget the penalty that never was at the very start and the point blank save from Brendan Coyle the Parke goal keeper who has strong Islandeady connections himself.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on October 11, 2010, 08:44:21 PM
Fair play to Islandeady. They lost 8 starting players to emigration in the middle of the season and had to replace them with Minors and under 21's and still made the final. It should be two teams coming out of Junior anyway. A competition with 40 teams in it. Its too hard to come up.

Lets not forget the penalty that never was at the very start and the point blank save from Brendan Coyle the Parke goal keeper who has strong Islandeady connections himself.

Yes Islandeady have had a good season when you look at it like that. I know alot of the lads and would have been shouting for them if they had been playing anybody else but Parke.

There are really only 8 real teams in the Junior grade the rest are makie up 'B' teams and weak clubs. Just look at the preliminary round results over the last couple of years and you will see the hammerings that have been dished out.

I think you should have to win the Junior grade to get promoted to intermediate otherwise you are promoting losers. Losing the final does not say you are even the second best team in the competition, Ask Lahardane and Ardnaree. I don't think Islandeady would like to move up a grade without being champions.

PSTG - Can you change title to Parke v Ballinasloe - Connacht Junior Club Championship at the end of the week.

Peter Solan the Great

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 11, 2010, 10:36:26 PM

Yes Islandeady have had a good season when you look at it like that. I know alot of the lads and would have been shouting for them if they had been playing anybody else but Parke.

There are really only 8 real teams in the Junior grade the rest are makie up 'B' teams and weak clubs. Just look at the preliminary round results over the last couple of years and you will see the hammerings that have been dished out.

I think you should have to win the Junior grade to get promoted to intermediate otherwise you are promoting losers. Losing the final does not say you are even the second best team in the competition, Ask Lahardane and Ardnaree. I don't think Islandeady would like to move up a grade without being champions.

PSTG - Can you change title to Parke v Ballinasloe - Connacht Junior Club Championship at the end of the week.

Yes but what about teams in Intermediate doing the bare minimum to stay up and more deserving teams down in Junior. In fairness the two best Junior teams rose to the top this year.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Peter Solan the Great on October 11, 2010, 11:01:19 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on October 11, 2010, 10:36:26 PM

Yes but what about teams in Intermediate doing the bare minimum to stay up and more deserving teams down in Junior. In fairness the two best Junior teams rose to the top this year.

Agreed, there is a comfort zone. This exists in Senior aswell. Still if you are good enough, you should get out of your grade and vice versa, if you are not good enough you'll go down a grade.

Thanks for changing title. Especially the 'K' Part in Parke KC which is very dear to me.

RedandGreenSniper

Not sure about the penalty. Am sure about one thing - the best team won. End of.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

From the Bunker

Good win for Parke KC against Ballinasloe, winning 2-11 to 2-7. Will be looking forward to the Final in McHale Park against Leitrim champions Eslin who beat Ballinameen from Roscommon in their semi-final. The winners have the added incentive of playing away to the British Junior Champions in the quarter final of the AI Championship. A good bonding weekend for any club.

RedandGreenSniper

Were you in Ballinasloe FTB? I hear Parke were decent and they'll have to be big favourites for Sunday's final.

Bonding weekend? Knowing the Parke boys that means one thing only! I hope the game is on the Saturday

From the Bunker

Could not make it to match, had duties to attend to at home. Heard it was a great match, but then again they always are when you win. Parke KC will be favourites to win final, as Galway or Mayo are always favourites in Connacht. Yeah, As to the bonding (should that journey become a reality after next weekend), that will be done after the game.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: From the Bunker on October 31, 2010, 10:24:26 PM
Good win for Parke KC against Ballinasloe, winning 2-11 to 2-7. Will be looking forward to the Final in McHale Park against Leitrim champions Eslin who beat Ballinameen from Roscommon in their semi-final. The winners have the added incentive of playing away to the British Junior Champions in the quarter final of the AI Championship. A good bonding weekend for any club.

In fairness Ballinasloe are not great. They didn't even win junior in Galway. They won the north board title but I reckon there are 3 or 4 better junior teams in the west board if not more (junior in west a lot stronger hence Ballinasloe got hockeyed by Salthill B in final). It's actually a disgrace how little they contribute to Galway GAA considering it's quite a big town. Soccer and rugby are fairly popular there though.

From the Bunker

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 01, 2010, 02:57:45 AM

In fairness Ballinasloe are not great. They didn't even win junior in Galway. They won the north board title but I reckon there are 3 or 4 better junior teams in the west board if not more (junior in west a lot stronger hence Ballinasloe got hockeyed by Salthill B in final). It's actually a disgrace how little they contribute to Galway GAA considering it's quite a big town. Soccer and rugby are fairly popular there though.

Yeah, knew already that B/sloe lost their county final, but this is Junior and all teams that were left in it have one thing in common. They all played in the third tier competition of their county. So like Parke and the other representatives no-one are world beaters. Parke KC did what they had to do. Realistically the teams you can meet after winning (or even losing) your county final when it becomes a connacht or AI championship is a lottery.

I see your point though, from what you say the West Championship is the stronger and there are two to three teams (in theory) who are better than Ballinasloe but on a tougher side of the draw. Maybe it's time for an open draw

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 01, 2010, 09:52:25 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on November 01, 2010, 02:57:45 AM

Yeah, knew already that B/sloe lost their county final, but this is Junior and all teams that were left in it have one thing in common. They all played in the third tier competition of their county. So like Parke and the other representatives no-one are world beaters. Parke KC did what they had to do. Realistically the teams you can meet after winning (or even losing) your county final when it becomes a connacht or AI championship is a lottery.

I see your point though, from what you say the West Championship is the stronger and there are two to three teams (in theory) who are better than Ballinasloe but on a tougher side of the draw. Maybe it's time for an open draw

A divisional draw in senior, inter and junior championships this year might have given the other divisions a chance, seeing as only West Mayo teams made the finals of the three grades  :P