Time for Joe to go??

Started by cadhlancian, August 03, 2013, 08:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 04, 2013, 01:40:04 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 04, 2013, 01:28:41 AM
So this would have been a black card offence?

Given it's currently a red card offence (Cavanagh obviously deserved the line) isn't that lessening the penalty? I can see the only change being managers telling certain key players to not commit the black card offence in that situation while telling everyone else to have a field day.
How is it currently a red card offence? Under what current rule should cavanagh been sent off?

Are you about to regurgitate the old rule-book excuse?

Common sense dictates that should be a sending off offence and everyone knew Cavanagh was in danger of that happening when he committed it. The commentators knew it, I'm sure just about every Tyrone supporter in Croke Park knew it. I doubt anyone would have argued against it were he given the line. The fact it's even possible for a referee to give anything but a red card in that situation is a total and utter joke.

It's the easiest way to make it as unattractive an option as possible so why referees have any discretion in this situation is beyond me. We hear all this bleating about cynical fouling and the grand daddy of all cynical fouls isn't even a no-brainer red card offence. Amazing.

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Syferus on August 04, 2013, 01:52:14 AM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on August 04, 2013, 01:40:04 AM
Quote from: Syferus on August 04, 2013, 01:28:41 AM
So this would have been a black card offence?

Given it's currently a red card offence (Cavanagh obviously deserved the line) isn't that lessening the penalty? I can see the only change being managers telling certain key players to not commit the black card offence in that situation while telling everyone else to have a field day.
How is it currently a red card offence? Under what current rule should cavanagh been sent off?

Are you about to regurgitate the old rule-book excuse?

Common sense dictates that should be a sending off offence and everyone knew Cavanagh was in danger of that happening when he committed it. The commentators knew it, I'm sure just about every Tyrone supporter in Croke Park knew it. I doubt anyone would have argued against it were he given the line. The fact it's even possible for a referee to give anything but a red card in that situation is a total and utter joke.

Damn straight.  God forbid anyone should bring the rules into a question of who should be sent off for what.

Stevie g 8

RTE are at an all time low and this circus clown is just adding to it,should get shot of him straight away.He cannot be allowed away with this.Cavanagh gave 2 wonderful performance and all they highlight are tackles he made

muppet

Quote from: ardtole on August 03, 2013, 10:23:36 PM
I was listening to the newstalk interview live and Cavanagh came across very well, Darragh Ose, David Brady and Colm Parkinson all agreed with him. He spoke honestly and truthfully, at this stage Brolly has got tiresome. I used to enjoy reading his newspaper columns and his analysis on rte but this last two years or eighteen months he is getting very childish and pompous. The sunday game could do with a complete overhaul in my opinion.

Imho Cavanagh came across very well in that interview.
MWWSI 2017

Throw ball

Some amount of Tyrone people giving out about Brolly tonight. My feelings are that he really lost the run of himself today just like he did when he criticised Paul Grimley earlier in the season. On both occasions the crux of his argument was correct. His delivery was lacking though. Maybe instead of Michael Lyster presenting the show a high court judge could do the job!

For those who say 100% of players would do the same as Cavanagh I would point out that Armagh, and Tony Kernan in particular, let Cain Mackey run 40 yards to score a goal for Cavan with no effort to take him out. Armagh lost that match. Tyrone won today. There is cynical tackling in the game because as the rules stand it pays.

Jell 0 Biafra

No problem with what Cavanagh did.  He knew it would cost him a yellow, and it was worth it.   Rugby has a penalty try for certain infractions; basketball has an automatic basket for certain other infractions; maybe football should bring in an automatic goal for that kind of foul, if we're serious about stamping it out.

whitey

this sh1te of selectively picking out incidents isnt doing anyone any favors. if we look over an entire game there a a multitude of occurrences which could impact the final outcome. some happen to occur in the first minute, others in the last minute.

whether its a card given or not given, a pull, a drag, a wide called a score, a score called a wide.

as it is, play to the rule book. if the rule book dictated that was a yellow, then the referee made the right call.

look at Tadgh Kennellys elbow against the Cork player in the first 3 seconds of the final a few years ago. Look at Cillian O Connor getting pulled and dragged in the first few minutes of last years final.no free given-Donegal go down and bang in a goal-game over. What about Joe Sheridans "goal" against Louth and the square bAll that preceded it.

Football is played real time-no time outs, no reviews, no instant replay.  If we want every call made by the eye in the sky so be it, because at the end of the day every single call, or missed cll can impact the lutcome pf a game

give her dixie

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on August 04, 2013, 02:34:43 AM
No problem with what Cavanagh did.  He knew it would cost him a yellow, and it was worth it.   Rugby has a penalty try for certain infractions; basketball has an automatic basket for certain other infractions; maybe football should bring in an automatic goal for that kind of foul, if we're serious about stamping it out.

Good post
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

red hander

Brolly is a tube and always has been, a yellow-streaked cowardly bastard on the pitch who was fond of blowing kisses to Tyrone people after a much better player had put a goal on a plate for him. His hatred drips outta him any time he gives his 'expert' opinion on Tyrone games. RTE is supposed to ensure parity and fairness, but it doesn't

red hander

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on August 04, 2013, 02:48:39 AM
Quote from: 5 Sams on August 03, 2013, 11:34:40 PM
Pure gold for RTE. the whole country will be tuning in to see what Joe says next.
Spot on. In some respects I'd think it was almost scripted. Mind you Tyrone are a shower of you know whats bur I take comfort from the fact that their progress in this years Championship is doing nothing more than incurring additional expenditure on their hateful shower of supporters so the further they go before being turned over the better. By the way Brolly was spot on.

Your namesake is a rocket scientist compared to you

never kickt a ball

I think Mark Sidebottom summed up RTE's whole position over the last few weeks/months/years when he said during the commentary

"When you have nowhere to go call for Joe"

Says it all really..........

Dougal Maguire

There's nothing like coming home with a few in you and winding up the Tyronies. Fact is you know I'm right and you'll have a long hungry winter to reflect on what I said.
Careful now

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Syferus on August 04, 2013, 01:28:41 AMGiven it's currently a red card offence

Quote5.14 To pull down an opponent.

PENALTY FOR THE ABOVE FOULS -
(i) Caution the offender; order off for second cautionable foul.

(ii) Free kick from where the foul occurred except as provided under Exceptions of Rule 2.2.

Dougal Maguire

Quote from: EC Unique on August 03, 2013, 10:57:33 PM
Joe Brolly comes out of this looking like a bitter little fool that more and more people are catching on to where as Sean Cavanagh comes out dripping with class both on the field and in his interview. One bookable tackle can not take away from his class. Joe needs to think about lowering his alcahol intake.
You've posted some sh1t on this board in the past, including the Rick Astley video which brought with it a virus which corrupted many PCs but this takes the biscuit. Brolly - straight guy, Cavanagh - Hail fellow well met
Careful now

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 04, 2013, 03:13:37 AM
Quote from: Throw ball on August 04, 2013, 02:29:05 AM
Some amount of Tyrone people giving out about Brolly tonight. My feelings are that he really lost the run of himself today just like he did when he criticised Paul Grimley earlier in the season. On both occasions the crux of his argument was correct. His delivery was lacking though. Maybe instead of Michael Lyster presenting the show a high court judge could do the job!

For those who say 100% of players would do the same as Cavanagh I would point out that Armagh, and Tony Kernan in particular, let Cain Mackey run 40 yards to score a goal for Cavan with no effort to take him out. Armagh lost that match. Tyrone won today. There is cynical tackling in the game because as the rules stand it pays.
Looking at it Brolly's meltdown on national TV has a lot of similarities with Jim McGuinness' interview last weekend (and by association later on Rory Gallagher's comments) in that both did have a valid point what they were trying to point out as to what they feel is wrong in the current nature of football. But it gets all lost in among making emotional plays, using selective evidence, none too subtle agendas, hypocrisy and delving into conspiracies that they have no hope of proving that what comes out in the end heavily detracts from any point they're making, assuming that the point was genuine in the first place.

Agree with this. Just watched the Youtube clip there and couldn't believe how worked up he was (or seemed to be). The point behind his argument was valid in my opinion, but he lost all credibility when talking about Sean Cavanagh 'forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he is a man'.

The finger pointing at Spillane and O'Rourke, the 'Hold on' every time Michael Lyster interjected and the shouting over everybody elses points were childish and unprofessional in the extreme.
Hasta la victoria siempre