Football team of the 90s

Started by theticklemister, August 15, 2018, 10:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: hardstation on August 16, 2018, 10:46:38 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 16, 2018, 10:18:08 PM
How long was robbie o'malley about for? He'd have one of the best about round then.

All the players here are ai winners. I am sure one or two from lesser counties might be there or thereabouts.
Any team without Sheeny McQuillan isn't worth a fcuk.

;D

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: Erne Man on August 16, 2018, 05:46:01 PM
Neil Collins
Kieran McKeever
Darren Fay
Tony Scullion
Paul Curran
Glenn Ryan
Sean Og DePaor
Anthony Tohill
John McDermott
Graham Geraghty
Greg Blaney
Ja Fallon
Mickey Linden
Peter Canavan
Maurice Fitzgerald

It is easier to pick a 90's team, as generally, players can be picked in their positions, or certainly in the same line that they operated in!
Neil Collins was the best keeper in Ireland in the first half of 90's - ironically John O'Leary was getting the All-Stars he probably didnt deserve, and Cluxton who has set the bar so high currently struggles to get them.
Although Derry only won Ulster/All Ireland in '93 and Ulster '98, they were consistnetly a high performing league side as well, hence 3 for them - hard to think of 2 better corner backs.
Curran was a Rolls Royce of a player, and for me deserves to be mentioned alongside O'Se, McCaffrey etc as great half backs.
Midfield picks itself.
Forwards for me also picked themselves. Giles was excellent, but not in the same class as Geraghty. Toss of a coin between Fallon/Donnellan, but for me Fallon was the consistently high performer in the 90's.
From a Down point of view Neil Collins is a great shout. Disgrace he never got an all star. The one other Down man pushing for a place that no one ever mentions is Barry Breen. He was class and if you talk to any of the Down forwards of the era they'll all name him as the player who made them tick. Saying that there was some serious footballers at centre half back in the nineties - real leaders too.

Hound

Quote from: Jinxy on August 16, 2018, 10:44:01 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on August 16, 2018, 10:12:19 PM
I'd have Giles ahead of Geraghty all day long, Giles was pure class

Graham had more natural talent, but he didn't have Trevor's level of consistency or temperament.

Just going on games against the Dubs, my memory/opinion is that Giles had one great game against us, a few decent games, and a few poor games. Geraghty was always good or great, certainly while in his 20s.

Giles may have been better is AI semis  / finals. I probably didnt watch them  ;)

mup

Quote from: Jinxy on August 16, 2018, 10:44:01 PM

Graham had more natural talent, but he didn't have Trevor's level of consistency or temperament.

Giles should not be on this team simply because of that sleeveless jersey he wore.

An Fhairche Abu

Complete opposite opinion here, Geraghty was a savage bit of stuff altogether when on his game, I'd have him way above Giles.
Probably in a minority of one here but I never, ever got the Giles love in, he's my automatic go to answer for most overrated player. That's not to say he wasn't good but I didn't think as he was near as good as some made him out to be.

Stall the Bailer

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on August 17, 2018, 10:16:56 AM

Complete opposite opinion here, Geraghty was a savage bit of stuff altogether when on his game, I'd have him way above Giles.
Probably in a minority of one here but I never, ever got the Giles love in, he's my automatic go to answer for most overrated player. That's not to say he wasn't good but I didn't think as he was near as good as some made him out to be.
Would also agree with this about Giles. Thought Geraghty had everything you would want in a footballer, could play anywhere on the pitch. One of the best

Dinny Breen

Giles in Billy Behan terms had a good face, he did look classy at times spraying diagonal balls into the corners but I too would pick Geraghty, he had serious ability and serious dog, a lethal mix in physical sport.
#newbridgeornowhere

BallyroanAbu

Geraghty was serious,  possibly one of the all time greats considering he could easily fit in most positions on the pitch.   At half back he was peerless,  I'd say we are judging him harshly because he had a long career and ended up in full forward line.  Also because he seemed an unlikeable individual on the pitch and off it. 

spuds

Geraghty above Giles for me also. Had everything you need in a footballer and could play it any way.
"As I get older I notice the years less and the seasons more."
John Hubbard

In hiding

shark

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on August 17, 2018, 10:39:41 AM
Geraghty was serious,  possibly one of the all time greats considering he could easily fit in most positions on the pitch.   At half back he was peerless,  I'd say we are judging him harshly because he had a long career and ended up in full forward line.  Also because he seemed an unlikeable individual on the pitch and off it.

He won an all-Ireland from full forward in 1999, as captain. He was absolute class, a supreme footballer.
And speaking of the 1999 final, one player who hasn't been mentioned thus far is Joe Kavanagh. Certainly not in the top 6 forwards of the 90's, but the scorer of one of the finest all-Ireland final goals in '99, and a bloody good one in '93 too.

Jinxy

Quote from: shark on August 17, 2018, 11:16:30 AM

He won an all-Ireland from full forward in 1999, as captain. He was absolute class, a supreme footballer.
And speaking of the 1999 final, one player who hasn't been mentioned thus far is Joe Kavanagh. Certainly not in the top 6 forwards of the 90's, but the scorer of one of the finest all-Ireland final goals in '99, and a bloody good one in '93 too.

Class player.
That goal was unreal.
He sold about 6 dummies before burying it in the net.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Owenmoresider

I'd completely agree with that. The team Erne Man posted is one I find hard to disagree with.

Re Kavanagh, didn't he score a cracking goal in the 93 final too?

shark

Quote from: Owenmoresider on August 17, 2018, 11:57:55 AM

I'd completely agree with that. The team Erne Man posted is one I find hard to disagree with.

Re Kavanagh, didn't he score a cracking goal in the 93 final too?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IM90QJzyOU

and 3:53 for the 1999 goal : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4SzMXTcdhY

Therealdonald

Quote from: shark on August 17, 2018, 11:16:30 AM

Boys are we being completely genuine here? Geraghty wouldn't lace any of Erne man's forwards boots. Someone said he had serious dog in him? Need we refer to the Compromise Rules when he was carried off on the lawnmower after 5 or 6 minutes. If that's serious dog then is it any wonder that Meath fell away after the introduction of random doping by the GAA.