Football team of the 90s

Started by theticklemister, August 15, 2018, 10:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

No one mentioned Nuxer Buckley  >:(
#newbridgeornowhere

Therealdonald

Looking through these teams, there's a few certainties in my opinion, Downey at CHB, Tohill MF, Maurice Fitz, Giles, Peter the Great, Linden, Scullion. After that its nip and tuck in my opinion. Wouldn't have Geraghty near it.

Hound

Quote from: Manning18 on August 16, 2018, 04:53:27 PM
JOL
Scullion Fay Barr
Curran O'Brien De Paor
McDermott Tohill
McHugh Fallon Giles
Linden Canavan M.Fitz

Struggled with Mortimor or the two corner backs, O'Brien or Glenn Ryan for centre back, Geraghty or Martin McHugh for RHF and Blaney or Linden.
While Donegal deserve someone in the team, I'm not sure McHugh is the answer. Also with freetaking duties been taken care of, I'd definitely have Geraghty ahead of Giles (although be interested to hear a Meath perspective). I'd also have Blaney ahead of Giles I think

BennyCake

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 16, 2018, 02:51:09 PM
Quote from: Hound on August 16, 2018, 12:05:35 PM
Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on August 16, 2018, 09:11:40 AM
Quote from: seafoid on August 16, 2018, 08:27:55 AM
Quote from: hardstation on August 16, 2018, 08:21:38 AM
Quote from: dlgael on August 16, 2018, 08:20:19 AM
To have 3 Derry men in a team of the 90s and not one from Donegal seems a bit revisionist. Of our 92 team I'd offer Martin McHugh with honourable mention to Gavigan and Tony Boyle. Donegal contested the first 4 Ulster finals of the 90s, winning 2 and took Sam home like Derry at the first opportunity. Tohill was class. I'd argue Canavans best period was in the 00s when he reached the summit.
Canavan was better in the 90s
I agree

Others I would suggest are James Nallen, Anthony Tohill, wee James McCartan, Ja Fallon and Charlie Redmond
Charlie shouldn't be within an asses roar of that team!!  Kieran McKeever would be worthy of consideration - thought he was a great corner back.
Charlie was the best forward on the Dublin team that challenged for All Irelands in the four years 92-95.

He was the only Dub forward to win more than one All Star in the 90s. He won 3. He was an excellent player. Maybe there were 6 better in the 90s, but he definitely should be in the running.

Charlie was some boyo alright. I'd say his record of being sent off twice in an All Ireland final will never be matched.

I think Charlie's sending off was embarrassing for the GAA in general. Why yellow and red cards hadn't been brought in years before is baffling. At least players, managers and fans would've knew where they stood.

The old signal of a raised arm could mean a number of things. Isn't that right, Anthony Nolan?

LilySavage

Erne Man

Neil Collins
Kieran McKeever
Darren Fay
Tony Scullion
Paul Curran
Glenn Ryan
Sean Og DePaor
Anthony Tohill
John McDermott
Graham Geraghty
Greg Blaney
Ja Fallon
Mickey Linden
Peter Canavan
Maurice Fitzgerald

It is easier to pick a 90's team, as generally, players can be picked in their positions, or certainly in the same line that they operated in!
Neil Collins was the best keeper in Ireland in the first half of 90's - ironically John O'Leary was getting the All-Stars he probably didnt deserve, and Cluxton who has set the bar so high currently struggles to get them.
Although Derry only won Ulster/All Ireland in '93 and Ulster '98, they were consistnetly a high performing league side as well, hence 3 for them - hard to think of 2 better corner backs.
Curran was a Rolls Royce of a player, and for me deserves to be mentioned alongside O'Se, McCaffrey etc as great half backs.
Midfield picks itself.
Forwards for me also picked themselves. Giles was excellent, but not in the same class as Geraghty. Toss of a coin between Fallon/Donnellan, but for me Fallon was the consistently high performer in the 90's.

Therealdonald

Quote from: Erne Man on August 16, 2018, 05:46:01 PM
Neil Collins
Kieran McKeever
Darren Fay
Tony Scullion
Paul Curran
Glenn Ryan
Sean Og DePaor
Anthony Tohill
John McDermott
Graham Geraghty
Greg Blaney
Ja Fallon
Mickey Linden
Peter Canavan
Maurice Fitzgerald

It is easier to pick a 90's team, as generally, players can be picked in their positions, or certainly in the same line that they operated in!
Neil Collins was the best keeper in Ireland in the first half of 90's - ironically John O'Leary was getting the All-Stars he probably didnt deserve, and Cluxton who has set the bar so high currently struggles to get them.
Although Derry only won Ulster/All Ireland in '93 and Ulster '98, they were consistnetly a high performing league side as well, hence 3 for them - hard to think of 2 better corner backs.
Curran was a Rolls Royce of a player, and for me deserves to be mentioned alongside O'Se, McCaffrey etc as great half backs.
Midfield picks itself.
Forwards for me also picked themselves. Giles was excellent, but not in the same class as Geraghty. Toss of a coin between Fallon/Donnellan, but for me Fallon was the consistently high performer in the 90's.

Giles at present is the only two-time Player of the Year. To leave him out is just unbelievable.

ONeill

Erm.....

Larry Reilly?

Yous fcukers know nahin.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyCake

Quote from: ONeill on August 16, 2018, 06:04:57 PM
Erm.....

Larry Reilly?

Yous fcukers know nahin.

Maybe he meant Larry Duff.

Jinxy

JOL
Scullion Fay Barr
Curran O'Brien De Paor
McDermott Tohill
McHugh Fallon Giles
Linden Canavan M.Fitz

Struggled with Mortimor or the two corner backs, O'Brien or Glenn Ryan for centre back, Geraghty or Martin McHugh for RHF and Blaney or Linden.

;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

macdanger2

I'd have Giles ahead of Geraghty all day long, Giles was pure class

imtommygunn

How long was robbie o'malley about for? He'd have one of the best about round then.

All the players here are ai winners. I am sure one or two from lesser counties might be there or thereabouts.

Jinxy

Quote from: macdanger2 on August 16, 2018, 10:12:19 PM
I'd have Giles ahead of Geraghty all day long, Giles was pure class

Graham had more natural talent, but he didn't have Trevor's level of consistency or temperament.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Manning18

Quote from: Jinxy on August 16, 2018, 08:42:16 PM
JOL
Scullion Fay Barr
Curran O'Brien De Paor
McDermott Tohill
McHugh Fallon Giles
Linden Canavan M.Fitz

;D

I was hardly unfair to Meath with 3 lads in there? McHugh didn't get a chance to show his class too often bar the couple of decent Donegal years. As I said it was a toss up and I do rate Geraghty but he's by no means an automatic choice. Michael Donnellan is a decent way ahead of him as a player for instance but it's probably unfair putting him in as he only had the one year in the 90s showcasing

BennyCake

A lot of Meath players still around in the 90's like O'Rourke, Lyons, Beggy, Stafford, Hayes , all worth a mention.

Cork's John O'Driscoll, Shay Fahy.

Liam McHale deserves a mention too.