Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

Who will be next in line urban? Deegan's probably the last of the 91/94 era who has not got a go at the big one. Will he step up to the plate?

Down Follower

That was shocking today, no question about it. I really felt for the lads, and for Eamon burns, a legend of this county. I have no doubt a lot of hard work was put in by both players and management but it simply isn't working. Eamon will obviously step away after this year unless miracles happen but looking at that pot one in the qualifiers it doesn't look good for us.
Most of our best players were playing today but there will likely be a few retirements after that.
Is there anyone to take it on? There always is and I reckon names such as James, Deegans, Mickey Walsh , Shane Mulholland and Poacher will be in the running.
It is a tough time to be a Down man but we have seen before, from our own and other counties how quickly things can be turned around with the right men in charge.

Mourne Rover

Today was arguably our worst Ulster championship display in living memory. Monaghan at the same venue in 2016 ended up in a similar scoreline but we actually competed well in the first half then before falling apart after the break. We were clueless today from start to finish, Donegal brushed us aside all over the pitch and we appeared to have no plan whatsoever to deal with having an extra man for almost an hour.

You would have to feel sorry for Reid, as he is a decent keeper whose confidence disintegrated after his first couple of kick outs went astray. A coach should be been dispatched to give him advice from behind the goals, and taking him off at half time should have been seriously considered, but it was verging on the astonishing that he was allowed to keep going with long balls which lost us possession every tim

We struggled at the back throughout against top quality opposition, with O'Hagan our best defender as usual and Mooney having some good moments pressing up. While Donnelly stuck to his task at a beaten midfield, Turley, who has been a great servant, no longer has the mobility for this level and McKernan never got going.

Our half forward line did not really function but Harrison had an excellent game up front on limited possession while O'Hare had a couple of decent moments. Overall, you would have to say that half our team did not look like county footballers and any decent side will end our season in the qualifiers fairly swiftly.

The defeat for the u20s was probably even more disappointing after we were nine up early in the second half and in complete control. The failure to introduce Kerr at an earlier stage was baffling, and it was a bad day for both of our management teams.

redzone

Pete Mcgrath. Has proved before

Targetman

Quote from: redzone on June 10, 2018, 11:26:03 PM
Pete Mcgrath. Has proved before
Lets not go down that road, is JimMc Guinness busy these days?

snoopdog

I cant see anything changing in Down. We have been on here for the last number of years saying the same thing. Burns has had a nightmare 3 years apart from last years championship which was decent. Will the county board ever get an overhawl? Can they be forced out? How can they be forced out. Do we really want a waterford offaly or louth in the qualifiers ?? What benefit is there of dragging this summer out. Management wise is wee james an option? Didnt do much with the minors. Deegan not sure either. Need someone who can get all players wanting to play for the county.

Smurfy123

From what I can gather Deegan is of the same mold as Burns
We need someone to pull everyone together. To many players on that panel not good enough
Jim McGuinness would be my pick but that will not happen
Does it have to be 91/94 team?

bigarsedkeeper

I see we have Cavan now. Hard to see how the team can get back up for that one.
There wasn't a huge amount of options the last when Burns came in but there's going to be less this time. Who'd want to come in now? That's assuming Burns has the sense to walk away.
Thought Harrison, Maginn and Darren O'Hagan were the only players to come out with any real credit yesterday. Other lads will be ok - just yesterday didn't work out for them.
I can't believe we have have had 3 different keepers in the last 3 seasons and no one has come up with a decent kick out strategy. You can blame Reid but the players around the middle aren't working hard enough to make space for him to kick into. With all the talk of possession from kick outs in todays football that's a mess. You have to have a plan B and even with an extra man Down couldn't make it work.

downjim

Clear out in county board??

Can someone name me people who would want to be on the county board? We need new faces but who is out there. A few new young faces and good PR would be a great start. We need to sell ourselves again. It's easy to slate volunteers but who is there to step up.

Poacher? Good coach, no plan B but his behaviour is atrocious.

Brick Tamlin

Youre wrong Jim.
Hes just a passionate and enthusiastic guy, wears his heart on his sleeve, loves his players, even drinks pints with them and shows the world too through social media. Hes the perfect fit. He would would tick all boxes. What a guy.

Aristo 60

It's as well Maurice Hayes passed away earlier this year as yesterday would have killed him. From the team that started only Harrison, O'Hagan, O'Hare and Mooney should get a start against Cavan.

Down have no bully boys (a la F McGlynn, DJ Kane) and if we want to do anything in the next 5 years we need to unearth about 5 of them right now.   

guevara

The problem lies with the mentality within The GAA and players from previous winning eras. Management of Senior County Football Teams seems to be passed around in Down to anyone who was even remotely successful or has won an All-Ireland. Show me Eamon Burns, Conor Deegan's or (Insert any 91 or 94 All Ireland Winner) coaching credentials and achievements?

In any other sporting code securing a Senior Management position is only attained when the person's capabilities and credentials have been deemed to be worthy. With us all you've to do is declare an interest, hold an All-Ireland medal and away you go.

It has become a farce and a once proud County is disintegrating into a laughing stock.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

A man from Down

Does anyone know the statistics for our results as a county in the Ulster championship for the last 5 years for minor, senior and under 21 (add in the new under 17/20 grades also)?

There are bound to be very few counties in any province with worse records of the last 5 years (we could go back much further)

I was in attendance at the East Down Under 8 superblitz at RGU on Saturday. Hundreds of children (one source stated 450 kids), great organisation, passionate coaches, loads of wonderful talent on show. Anyone looking in from outside the county would say that we are probably a real force. I'm sure its the same in South Down and all the way up through the age groups throughout the county.

We are not a county of poor footballing standards but why does it seem that way when all our county teams perform at championship level?

As for people mentioning the likes of Jim McGuinness - they need to understand that the County do not have the finances for someone from outside the county. I believe that Poacher seriously needs to be considered as an integral part of the next management. He may not have won much but he has experience of being part of a limited but obviously improved county team in Carlow whilst he has been around schools football and division one football in Down for years now - knowing every player inside out.

In any case regardless of who the next manager is that comes in they will need to get the Kilcoo contingent on board. Unbelievable that not one magpie started yesterday.

downjim

Kane, dabs, McGovern, McAleenan, Aaron Brannigan, Choc, Mallon, Quinn, Morgan, Brady,O'Hare, PD, McArdle, Magee, McGarry

A team from Downs top 4 teams not playing yesterday

Ambrose

Quote from: A man from Down on June 11, 2018, 10:36:32 AM
As for people mentioning the likes of Jim McGuinness - they need to understand that the County do not have the finances for someone from outside the county.

Why don't we have the finances and we don't have to include Burrenbridge in the debate, but where does the money go? Also why aren't we able to attract more money in to the county coffers, we have a very marketable product, but as I see it no strategy or imagination. A lot of people, myself included, simply will not give another penny while the likes of McAteer and co have any involvement.

How many more years are we going to talk about this while nothing changes?
You can't live off history and tradition forever