Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanderson

Any idea where the donegal game will be? Armagh would be the more logistical place but heard someone at the match last night say it may be in clones?

SHEEDY

Quote from: Nanderson on May 27, 2018, 06:25:22 PM
Any idea where the donegal game will be? Armagh would be the more logistical place but heard someone at the match last night say it may be in clones?
we played donegal in breffni not that long ago, so it could be there. hope not though as its not an easy place to get to.
nil satis nisi optimum

Targetman

Clones Sunday 10thJune @ 4pm, massive step up in quality of opposition, being realistic we are gonna be huge underdogs and hope we don't get a hiding!!

charlieTully

Quote from: Targetman on May 27, 2018, 09:08:16 PM
Clones Sunday 10thJune @ 4pm, massive step up in quality of opposition, being realistic we are gonna be huge underdogs and hope we don't get a hiding!!

It will be a huge challenge no doubt. No expectations though. Hopefully we can spring another performance like the semi last year. Unlikely but you never know. Won yesterday without having to get out of 2nd gear really albeit against poor opposition.

downjim

There seems to be more reserve games not being played due to not fielding this season. Is there something that can be done to prevent this? Is Sunday a bad day? There used to be loads of thirds teams but now they seem in the minority. Did Kilcoo have 4 teams at one point?

JimmyFloydMay123

Quote from: Smurfy123 on May 27, 2018, 01:49:31 PM
Reid's kickouts were outstanding. He kicked every ball short to a Down man as Antrim did not contest one kickout
It was absolute dire stuff from Down
Antrim have cemented their  place as the worst team in ulster and possibly Ireland

Name me another team in Ireland as bad as Antrim?
Carlow...?  ;) ;)

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: downjim on May 28, 2018, 12:29:45 PM
There seems to be more reserve games not being played due to not fielding this season. Is there something that can be done to prevent this? Is Sunday a bad day? There used to be loads of thirds teams but now they seem in the minority. Did Kilcoo have 4 teams at one point?
Sunday definitely doesn't help. I pulled the pin after last year mainly because it killed all day Sunday and the kids are running to stuff themselves now. The younger fellas were usually dying too. They tried Wednesdays for the Premier Reserve a couple of years ago but the senior managers weren't happy to let fellas on the edge of the team play a couple days before senior games and it ended up worse. Only Mayobridge, Clonduff, Bryansford, Liatroim and Burren left with 3rds teams as I know. Kilcoo went from 4 teams to 2 in a couple of years I think.
It's a pity because fellas in their mid thirties need something to keep them involved in the sport. The Bridge seem to do it best - they've a serious amount of top level footballers from 35 - 40 still playing away with the 3rds. Fair play to them.

outinfront

Burren have 2nds and 3rds in the premier reserve league this year. We have Reserves in premier and 3rds in EDRL, Carryduff the same 

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: outinfront on May 28, 2018, 03:55:17 PM
Burren have 2nds and 3rds in the premier reserve league this year. We have Reserves in premier and 3rds in EDRL, Carryduff the same
Sorry, forgot about Bredagh. Didn't realise Carryduff had 3rds. Fair play. In the last few years Rostrevor, Saval & Tullylish all had 3rds teams and pulled them.

How's that working with Burren having 2 in the league? Their 3rds wouldn't have been that strong last year to make that jump.

downjim

We had a lot of minors coming up this year and we felt it would be better to keep the two teams at the same level
I would have kept one in south Down personally
Monday nights would be a good night for them.
The Bridge do get a good few staying on, big Woods is still playing I see

befair

Filling out teams will be an increasing problem; perhaps time to reconsider 13-a-side again. Would also help with the spectacle, make the massed defence less viable.
Unfortunately gaelic football by it's nature is so open it's harder to play on a casual basis or as you get older. In contrast, in soccer + rugby you can play into your 50s

downjim

Are games starred this weekend ??

JimmyFloydMay123

Quote from: befair on May 28, 2018, 09:41:11 PM
Filling out teams will be an increasing problem; perhaps time to reconsider 13-a-side again. Would also help with the spectacle, make the massed defence less viable.
Unfortunately gaelic football by it's nature is so open it's harder to play on a casual basis or as you get older. In contrast, in soccer + rugby you can play into your 50s
Don't mention soccer on a Down GAA forum, you might end up on page 3 of the Irish news!

Targetman

Quote from: downjim on May 28, 2018, 10:29:18 PM
Are games starred this weekend ??
I'd say this weekend and next

bigarsedkeeper

Quote from: befair on May 28, 2018, 09:41:11 PM
Both the south down and east down leagues are 13 a side now. Heard it's helped a bit as far as a spectacle goes but teams are still short. They did try Monday nights years ago if I remember right but there was issues with clashing with senior hurling too, so they'd need to sort that out.
Most lads quit playing senior at 32 to 35 and are finished completely. There should be some thought put into how to extend playing days but the competitive nature of the game makes that hard to do I think. Going out for the craic doesn't work if you take a couple of hammerings or injuries pile up. There's a big mix of players in reserves too - from a fella that has never played senior football and has no hope of ever playing senior to a fella on the edge of a senior team or a good senior player in the year after his retirement - if you get the balance the wrong way it can be very one sided.