Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laughinpaddy

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on May 01, 2007, 03:38:25 PM
Quote from: Scarface on May 01, 2007, 03:34:12 PM
he is a good footballer and probably should at least be on the county squad but for whatever reason he is not - next subject please....

ok....

Does Joe Kernan put his own family and club priorities above those of the county team?
What, don't be stupid, just look at the facts...
Francie Bellew an all-star full back, and a hero among Armagh supporters
Paul Hearty - the best keeper in the county
Aaron Kernan - overall young Player of the year
Osin Mc Connville - one of the best forwards in Ireland in the past decade
Stephen Kernan - an u21 all-ireland medal winner, who was one of the most influential players on that team
The Mac's before they retired were brilliant players for Armagh and would have got on almost all county teams in the country!
Need I say more??
I ain't gettin on no plane!

Scarface

'Stephen Kernan - an u21 all-ireland medal winner, who was one of the most influential players on that team' -

maybe true - but his performances when given his numerous chances at senior level have not been too hot. Compare that to other guys who have been put on the team for 1 game and then dropped off the radar for ever more - I think you would have to admit he is getting treated favourably as the managers son.

laughinpaddy

Yes I agree that he is getting an extra stay of execution, as the managers son, but I still rate him as a fine footballer.  Maybe the fact that he was taken onto the squad to soon (due to his Da) has lead people to believe otherwise, but as for the rest of the cross' players I don't think there is a bias there.imo.
I ain't gettin on no plane!

Aghdavoyle

Who mentioned dromintee?

I was thinking more about

removing grimley and attempting the same with mcgeeney to clear the only two barriers to playing sk.

refusing to ever take aaron off despite frequent roastings against top drawer opponents.

persisting with starting oisin over the past two years when he clearly no longer had the legs for 70 minutes of championship football at that level.

Keeping SK on the county panel, usually a privileged and hard fought for position, for four years despite that he's not making his club team.

Overlooking players of potential county talent or, more usually, playing players out of position if they may compete for certain positions on the team.

Leaving Francie on o'neill for 70 minutes in 2005 despite him scoring 10 points

naka

aghadoyle whilst I agree with you about sk, geezer and grimley, oisin is still one of our better players as are ak and Francie.
the biggest gripe I have is the situation with regard to the mc entees, who would still be there if sk wasnt

Aghdavoyle

oisin is a class act but can only produce his great points now in small patches, usually at the end of games. far more games than enough he does't touch leather and should be coming on with 15 or 20 mins to go.

Francie is a good full back an most games does a solid job. he's susceptible to pace and mobility and quite often gets a right runaround. Fermanagh gave him a fair run around last year for example but he's never moved in thoses situs.

ak offers ahuge amount attacking but players like mcginley, sheehan, hegarty, galvin and bradley have roasted him and there glaringly obvious solution is to move him to the half forward line. not as easy though when you are being marked by a defender and joe knows that

winsamsoon

Tackle if the brunt of your opinion is to call someone an asshole then obviously it could be argued that you are discribing yourself. But then again what do expect from a pig only a grunt. To these guys that complain about what others write, as i have said before this is a message board where people share their views. If you don't like a topic then read something else. To the guy that said about not being at any Armagh games. I don't think i have missed a championship game in a long while and i am talking before we won an All Ireland or post 99. In my eyes O'Rourke is past it in terms of county. I am not taking anything away from him personally. He was another one of Armagh's unsung heroes. Himself and Andy Mc Cann never got the recognition they deserved. But we have to look at the majority of county players now they are all mobile the majority of players can shift and play a bit of football. Gaelic is now all built around speed. Half backs must be mobile and flying fit, you have only to look at the Kerry half backs to see what i am talking about. O' Rourke would never be able to come up to this mark. Kernan realised this against Fermanagh as someone said because it was noticeable, the lack of pace Armgh had in this area. The game is all about workrate, at present O'Rourke would blow up but i agree with I'll Decide, he will still make a great contribution to his club. When the All Ireland is decided this year look at the winners and look at the half back line i guarantee it will be a strong one.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

holylandsniper

QuoteStephen Kernan - an u21 all-ireland medal winner, who was one of the most influential players on that team
Maybe a fair point, but WAS. Over the last few years Armagh was lucky enough to have few good U-21 teams, but to play ok in a few games at U21 Championship (and it is only a  few, 5 max in a year)and to step up to county level is a massive difference and your reasons for him being there proves point trying to make.  U21 success was 4 years ago, now he has still yet to make an impact despite benefiting from 5 years top class training and looked after like very few county teams in Ireland are; also benefiting from chances like noone else got.  So if people think he deserves his place they aren't as knowledgeable as they think.

bennydorano

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on May 01, 2007, 04:21:00 PM
ak offers ahuge amount attacking but players like mcginley, sheehan, hegarty, galvin and bradley have roasted him and there glaringly obvious solution is to move him to the half forward line. not as easy though when you are being marked by a defender and joe knows that

That's were every anti-cross argument falls down, Aaron has been and is consistently excellent, I certainly don't recall him being 'roasted' by each the above players (even marking them in fact - Paddy Bradley?), and if he takes the odd triming, so what? can you name a HB that hasn't? (and don't go mentioning AOR now ;))  Also I really believe he'd be better in the HF line is pure folly, Charlie Vernon is the prime example of a HB converted to a HF that hasn't worked, and quite simply it's because is back is now to the goals, he doesn't have the advantage of always facing forward, running onto balls with momentum, seeing whats going on around him and primarily because he is a back not a forward!

Spiritof98

Anyone know the result of the Keady v Middletown Senior hurling fixture last night or any Armagh league results
I'll go back if Marsdens back

Aghdavoyle

I certainly don't recall him being 'roasted' by each the above players (even marking them in fact - Paddy Bradley?)

Since you asked - Roastings -

Eoin Bradley Vs Derry in Casement Park 2005
Enda McGinley Drawn Ulster final 2005
Billy Sheehan AI Quarter final 2005
Michael Hegarty 2006
Paul Galvin AI Quarter final 2006.

ard mhaca abu

QuoteEoin Bradley Vs Derry in Casement Park 2005

are u sure enda mcnulty wasnt markin bradley that day...

thebandit

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on May 02, 2007, 09:50:51 AM

I certainly don't recall him being 'roasted' by each the above players (even marking them in fact - Paddy Bradley?)

Since you asked - Roastings -

Eoin Bradley Vs Derry in Casement Park 2005 - Agree, yet if I remeber correctly was he named MOTM? - He was marking him that day, not Enda

Apart from that I wouldn't agree that he was roasted by any of these
Enda McGinley Drawn Ulster final 2005
Billy Sheehan AI Quarter final 2005
Michael Hegarty 2006
Paul Galvin AI Quarter final 2006.

AK is a damn fine footballer, whose dedication, work on his game and preparation throughout the year is as good an example I could use as an underage coach.

I would consider him to be a 'man made footballer' - and this is even more to his credit

The people who have such a problem with big Joe should cop on, I can see why some have a problem with Stephen being on the county panel (I would stand up for him, but I can see the argument) but for him own supporters to turn on Aaron - Jesus lads wise up!

full back

TBH Aghdavoyle, it is pretty clear that you have a gripe against Crossmaglen in general.
Any player you have mentioned is from Cross ???
Are you sure it isnt jealousy :D :D

Aghdavoyle

Quote from: full back on May 02, 2007, 10:07:46 AM
TBH Aghdavoyle, it is pretty clear that you have a gripe against Crossmaglen in general.
Any player you have mentioned is from Cross ???

Do you think that might be because i was asked to give examples of how i thought joe gave cross players preferential treatment?

not much point talking about players from other clubs in that regard, is there einstein?