Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hank Everlast

Quote from: holylandsniper on July 06, 2008, 09:12:29 PM
No just don't want to mention name incase i'm wrong
Full back though could have hit nail on head...

Tullysaran were leading Lissumon 6-2 with about 7 or 8 minutes left to go in the first half wen two players went down in a tackle, no body at fault just a fair hard tackle the ref came over and red carded the tullysaran player, the Lissumon player even said he didnt do anythin (fair play to him).

Goats Do Shave

... so he pushed the ref & the game was abandoned?

bubbles

can anyone tell me why charlie vernon was allowed to play for the harps and ronan clarke and andy mallon were not allowed to play for the ogs? were there any other armagh starters playing for their clubs? Anyone have the updated league tables?

illdecide

ACL - Division One
TEAM P W D L Pts
Crossmaglen 13 11 2 0 24
Clan na Gael 13 6 3 4 15
Culloville 13 7 1 5 15
Pearse Og 12 6 2 4 14
St Patrick's 13 7 0 6 14
Mullaghbawn 14 5 1 8 11
Harps 13 4 2 7 10
Killeavey 13 5 0 8 10
Dromintee 11 4 1 6 9
Maghery 13 2 2 9 6

ACL - Division Two
TEAM P W D L Pts
Sarsfields 14 10 1 3 21
St Michael's 14 9 1 4 19
Carrickcruppen 13 8 1 4 17
Clann Eireann 14 8 1 5 17
Tir na nÓg 13 8 0 5 16
Granemore 13 7 0 6 14
Wolfe Tone 14 6 0 8 12
Silverbridge 12 5 1 6 11
Ballymacnab 13 5 1 7 11
Whitecross 14 4 0 10 8
An Port Mor 14 3 1 10 7
Keady 10 2 1 7 5

ACL - Division Three
TEAM P W D L Pts
St Paul's 13 10 1 2 21
Collegeland 14 10 1 3 21
Madden 12 9 2 1 20
Annaghmore 14 8 0 6 16
Belleek 12 7 1 4 15
Ballyhegan 12 7 0 5 14
St Peter's 12 5 0 7 10
Clonmore 14 4 3 7 11
Lissummon 13 3 3 7 9
Tullysaran 13 3 2 8 8
Grange 13 2 1 10 5
Crossmaglen II 12 1 2 9 4

ACL - Division Four
TEAM P W D L Pts
Shane O'Neill's 12 11 1 0 23
Eire Og 13 9 1 3 19
Middletown 10 6 3 1 15
Forkhill 13 7 1 5 15
Clady 10 5 2 3 12
Derrynoose 10 6 0 4 12
O'Hanlon's 12 6 0 6 12
Corrinshego 11 3 1 7 7
Dorsey Emmett's 11 3 0 8 6
Mullaghbrack 12 2 1 9 5
Phelim Brady's 12 0 0 12 0

Just looking at the relegation battle for Div 1 and it's gonna be tight, i think we can all agree that Maghery will go down as that defeat to Killeavey was the nail in the coffen. As for the rest of them it's gonna be tight, the Harps have a neck of nipping points at vital times and Killeavey seem to playing well at the minute so i'm goona go for Dromintee because without their county men they seem to be struggling (any team would loosing the core of you're team to inter county football) In saying that Mullaghbawn are on a bad run too and cannot be ruled out, just glad we had a good run recently and shot us up the table as it's very uncomfortable down there as we know from previous years
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

corn02

Dead right Illdecide, six points seperate eight teams. Dromintee's saving grace is that they have games in hand. Of Course games in hands does not equal points.

harlechman

The U21 replay is down for 3 weeks time.

Thought it was a good game between two evenly matched teams. The wet ball spoiled it a bit though, both teams struggled to hold onto the ball in the tackle. Certainly wouldnt agree with posters saying Madden were lucky to draw, they had a great chance near the end but a Cruppen defender got a great block in. Their goal was very lucky although they did have 2 other goal chances. I thought the referee was very fussy, some soft frees given to both sides and then some very debatable tackles were let go in the last 10 minutes. The draw was probably a fair enough result, looking forward to the replay.

brokencrossbar1

I know it is fairly academic, but if Cross take 3 points from the last 10 available they win the League.  Looking at game reports they have rarely played with anything close to a full team.  This is a very poor indictment of the rest of the teams and if anything the gap seems to be getting bigger rather than closer.  With the Macs no longer burdened with county they seem to be playing better than ever(well John anyway according to reports), and the squad seems to get stronger every year.

Is there any realistic challenger over the next few years or will it continue to be a one horse race?  The year we won the first AI Malachy McGeeney said he could see us dominating for 10 years.  None of us believed him.  It is scary how right he was.

illdecide

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 07, 2008, 11:25:51 AM
I know it is fairly academic, but if Cross take 3 points from the last 10 available they win the League.  Looking at game reports they have rarely played with anything close to a full team.  This is a very poor indictment of the rest of the teams and if anything the gap seems to be getting bigger rather than closer.  With the Macs no longer burdened with county they seem to be playing better than ever(well John anyway according to reports), and the squad seems to get stronger every year.

Is there any realistic challenger over the next few years or will it continue to be a one horse race?  The year we won the first AI Malachy McGeeney said he could see us dominating for 10 years.  None of us believed him.  It is scary how right he was.

BC1 the gap looks bad but i don't see it getting bigger, the biggest difference is Cross can deal without their county men but the rest cannot as they do not have the panel Cross have. Cross get stronger by 30% when their county men come in but the rest would improve much more than that (still behind Cross though) I better not be too nice to you as i got accuse of kissing you're ass the last time you big ogger ;)

The Cross are coming to the end of their run and will be beat in the championship soon (hopefully this year) they will still dominate the Armagh championship but not every year like they have done...Hope i'm not typing this same shit next year and the year after but like i've said before when JD, MAc's,  McConville and Bellew quit or start to slip Cross will be beat as these men are the same men who pull it out of the fire for Cross every time every year when needed

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: illdecide on July 07, 2008, 11:44:39 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on July 07, 2008, 11:25:51 AM

BC1 the gap looks bad but i don't see it getting bigger, the biggest difference is Cross can deal without their county men but the rest cannot as they do not have the panel Cross have. Cross get stronger by 30% when their county men come in but the rest would improve much more than that (still behind Cross though) I better not be too nice to you as i got accuse of kissing you're ass the last time you big ogger ;)

The Cross are coming to the end of their run and will be beat in the championship soon (hopefully this year) they will still dominate the Armagh championship but not every year like they have done...Hope i'm not typing this same shit next year and the year after but like i've said before when JD, MAc's,  McConville and Bellew quit or start to slip Cross will be beat as these men are the same men who pull it out of the fire for Cross every time every year when needed

The converse to that though is Cross are not the only club where key players will retire.  Look at yourselves, Barry and Diarmuid are older than any of those Cross players you mention bar JD and I think if Clans lost those two it would hamper them more than say JD and Oisin retiring.  The Macs are the same age as Aidan O'Rourke, Cross could suffer the retirement of John better than Dromintee could by losing Aidan.  The only team who would realistically challenge would be the Ogs and I don't know if they have it.  The younger players that are coming on to the Cross team, IMHO, are better than the squad players of any other club and with 2-3 minors coming up every year it will continue. 

The reason I am highlighting this is we had a discussion last night about losing young players to other sports.  In towns like Lurgan and Armagh I fear it will only get harder to attract young players and this will obviously have a major kick on to the overall standard of the game in the county.  I know people say these things are cyclical, but I actually think in this case there may be a bigger problem in a few years time and maybe the County board should look at really developing the youth now outside of the SA region, as it will always be strong there.

illdecide

Well i can't speak for other clubs but i know when these 2 men retire from the Clans we will not be able to replace them with guys of that calibre therefore we will be weaker for it there is no doubt about that. where we'll be after that only time will tell, if we can survive in the top division for a few years i think we'll come good as we have some good young fellas but they are way to young (14-16 year olds) and like you say if we even get them (the town fever could get them first)

The GAA

I heard over the weekend that Dromintee will be without all of the o'rourkes for good. not sure how reliable the fella who told me is but he's a dromintee man

Onion Bag

Quote from: The GAA on July 07, 2008, 01:00:44 PM

I heard over the weekend that Dromintee will be without all of the o'rourkes for good. not sure how reliable the fella who told me is but he's a dromintee man

Why is this? is there a fall out?
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

umgolaarmagh

Lads,

Spotted this on the back of a bus yesterday in London

Could be an omen lol!!!! 

winsamsoon

very good umgolaar i liked that one and lets hope it is an omen.

I don't know how many rumours i have heard on this board this season about the o' rourkes and Dromintee. FFS lads if i was to put everything on this board that i heard on the rumour mill i would be typing forever. We need to use our common sense when we are posting these things.

BC i am glad that you can acknowledge the difference in the North and mid of the county because there are some that see no difference at all. I am am not refering to the football abilities, i am refering to the distractions. You are quite correct in saying that this gap is only going to get wider because there are a lot more distraction going on in areas such as lurgan and Armagh city. Some people deny this is happening but if you ask me it is clear to be seen and the county board should do something about it before it is too late. The GAA week last week in lurgan was a great success and there should be more of it, we should be promoting our game at every opportunity.

On the cross issue, You are pointing out that cross will win the league at a canter, which is correct. Then you say that they will only get stronger with the county players. However sometimes this can have an adverse effect. When players who have playeds all year are suddenly dropped to bring in the county guys, this can leave a little bad feeling about and create an all together stale atmosphere. You also haven't taken into account the fact that championship football is a different ball game altogether. Think back to the first cross all Ireland, the 1 poiny win over the sarsfields. Results like this this can never be explained and one of these days the cross will be caught by one of these. I think this year could be the year because the cross are coasting along at the moment but you know aswell as i do it only takes the slightest of issues to upset the apple cart.IMO opinion the county lads will come back and all won't settle the way it should. The wee things that have came of for cross over the years won't this year and the key decision may not g their way. so i say i predict a shock in this years championship  ;) ;) I guess only time will tell us.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

mhacadoir

was in lurgan last weekend when the gaelic week seemd to be in full flow, it seemed a great idea there was a lot of colour around the town. i think it should be done in armagh city too for the mid armagh team, maybe to co-incide with the west armagh festival thing.