Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BenDover

There's another cut after the national league, so hopefully these new boys get a chance to play alongside some of the more experienced players to we see if they really have got what it takes

Uladh

Having been at all 3 McKenna Cup games, it's very dficult to draw accurate conclusions due to the conditions and the personnel.
however i'd say the following:

Worries:

no young lads grasped the nettle.
Midfield without McGrane will be a trouble spot
full back remains a problem
McNulty struggled very badly in all three games against three different types of forward.
No obvious scoring talent at this level is emerging

Up in the air:

vernon, courtney, o'rorke, lavery & o'neill are possibly the best equipped to break through but haven't been seen with the established crew. only one scoring forward there though.
toner may be the best bet for full back but is unavailable for now.

positives:

there were flashes of potential and certainly encouragement from g loughran, moriarty and swift.
a o'rourke established that he can compete well and strentghen dfensive options.
all of our scoring guns are yet to tog out.

ardmhaca08

Quote from: Uladh on January 15, 2008, 03:59:10 PM

no young lads grasped the nettle.
No obvious scoring talent at this level is emerging

IMO your very wrong i thought the likes of forker did extra well and are more than capable of a score or two!

Uladh

on the contrary, forker was my real hope going into the McKenna cup for a scoring forward but i thought he was very poor. difficult to score when you can't hold onto the ball. alarm bell were ringing when he wasn't claimed by the poly for the competition.

ardmhaca08

Quote from: Uladh on January 15, 2008, 04:09:24 PM
alarm bell were ringing when he wasn't claimed by the poly for the competition.

True! I have alot of time for the young lads coming up through. Paul Mcaughey did well on sunday along with KO'R whom i thought did extra well! Good to see these lads getting another chance!

illdecide

Killeavy GAC is delighted to announce the first Armagh Sevens tournament on Easter Saturday 22nd March, sponsored by Best Rate Bureau. Having enjoyed several of these tournaments in Kilmacud and Castlewellan over the last number of years, we are keen to run a sevens competition in Armagh, where this format of the game hasn't seen nearly as much of the limelight as it has in other counties.

In the inaugural year, we are seeking to run the competition between sixteen to twenty teams, primarily from county Armagh. Our initial invite is to each team in the top two divisions, and depending on uptake we may extend invitations to other Armagh clubs or clubs beyond the county.

We feel the competition should be a fun occasion for Armagh Gaels, and a good uptake on invitations should lead to another meaningful competition for Armagh GAA, with the winning team gaining valuable prestige and bragging rights for their club. It should also provide valuable preparation for the upcoming leagues.

We are delighted that this competition has been endorsed by Coiste Contae Ard Mhacha and official referees will be presiding over the fixtures. Normal county disciplinary procedures will come into play if required.
We believe this is an excellent opportunity for Gaels in Armagh to add another important date to the county GAA calendar, and would urge clubs to enter a team for the inaugural competition.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

qub la la la

Quote from: Seany on January 15, 2008, 12:06:56 PM
Paul keenan is gone

how can a player be cut when they haven't even featured in the orange jersey yet this year. seems strange but time will tell who's there or not. i'd imagine there will be boys in and out again and vice versa in the early stages of the league. especially with the university boys being eligible to play now.

diesel-smuggler

uladh in response to your comment amount me being unhappy that couldn't be further from the truth!

in the last 3 years you could count on 2 hands how many games paul played for us and as a cruppen man first and foremost i am delighted that he will be back playing football for us on a regular basis!

ardmhachaabu

on the contrary, forker was my real hope going into the McKenna cup for a scoring forward but i thought he was very poor. difficult to score when you can't hold onto the ball. alarm bell were ringing when he wasn't claimed by the poly for the competition.
He was awful in Davitt Park
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Legs11

Quote from: diesel-smuggler on January 15, 2008, 06:49:37 PM
uladh in response to your comment amount me being unhappy that couldn't be further from the truth!

in the last 3 years you could count on 2 hands how many games paul played for us and as a cruppen man first and foremost i am delighted that he will be back playing football for us on a regular basis!

well said D.S.. one thing for sure i'd have him on in front of mc cone and o rourke..dont know bout ferris just yet he's good going forward but going back not so good..

ardmhaca08

which orourke are you talking about legs11?

Uladh

Young ferris didn't make it either from wat i hear.

how many does that make on the senior panel who are still u21?

bennydorano

He played for UUJ 2nds v Queens 2nds before new year in the Ryan Cup B final, and although it was an awful day & conditions, he certainly didn't look county material that day.

CelticWater

Gary Reel (Killeavy), Gerard McCreesh(Mullaghbawn), Paudie McCreesh(Cullyhanna), D.Edward(Ogs?) and Paul Keenan(Carriccruppen) all got dropped from the armagh panal any more?

BenDover

Quote from: CelticWater on January 16, 2008, 03:06:37 PM
Gary Reel (Killeavy), Gerard McCreesh(Mullaghbawn), Paudie McCreesh(Cullyhanna), D.Edward(Ogs?) and Paul Keenan(Carriccruppen) all got dropped from the armagh panal any more?

Insulting the Ogs like that tut tut, think D.Edward from Eire Og! You musta been thinking of Eddie Maguire  :D :D