Great Newspaper Headlines.

Started by 5 Sams, June 29, 2012, 11:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: AQMP on June 30, 2012, 11:12:10 AM
The Sun came up with a bit of genius yesterday when calling for the resignation of the CEO of Barclay's Bank, Bob Diamond:

"Sign On You Crazy Diamond"

I hate myself for being amused by The Sun, but that's very good.

These were probably posted before, but what harm? A couple of favourites from WWII:

British Push Bottles Up Germans
McArthur Flies back To Front

Evil Genius

Quote from: Hardy on June 30, 2012, 11:32:51 AM
A couple of favourites from WWII:

British Push Bottles Up Germans
McArthur Flies back To Front
Not quite. In fact the first, if not apocryphal, was rather better and the second might have referred to Montgomery:

Newspaper headlines are written in a telegraphic style (headlinese) which often omits the copula and therefore lends itself to syntactic ambiguity, usually of the garden path type. The name 'crash blossoms' was proposed for these ambiguous headlines by Dan Bloom and Mike O'Connell in the Testy Copy Editors discussion group in August 2009 based on a headline "Violinist linked to JAL crash blossoms". The Columbia Journalism Review regularly reprints such headlines in its "The Lower case" column, and has collected them in the anthologies 'Squad helps dog bite victim' and 'Red Tape Holds Up New Bridge'.
Many purported crash blossoms are actually apocryphal or recycled. One celebrated one from World War I is "French push bottles up German rear"; life imitated art in the Second World War headline "Eighth Army Push Bottles Up German Rear".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syntactic_ambiguity

And unless you've got an overwhelming aversion to Wiki, I suspect you'll enjoy the rest of that article.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Hardy

That's a pity.

I suppose "Steps Urged For Hill Farmers" is too good to be true as well.

Some more recent ones I'm fairly certain of:

Bishops Agree Sex Abuse Rules
Missippi's Literacy Program Shows Improvement
Chick Accuses Male Colleagues Of Sexism

(That was Los Angeles Councilwoman Laura Chick)

Dougal Maguire

The Sun on Thursday last had a full page photo of that handshake with the headline: My Goodness McGuinness
Careful now

Aaron Boone

The Star earlier this month after Ireland 0 Spain 4 was 'Murder on Gdansk floor'.

After England beaten by Germany in SA 'Fritz all over'.

Ulick

Not a headline but caption to a picture in the Daily Mirror in 1992.

"Priest holds back rioters on Bloody Sunday" 

AQMP

I'm not sure if the story reporting locals protesting about a local male interest establishment under the headline "Topless Bar Has Its Knockers" actually ever appeared but I do remember in the late 70s a story about a vicar being caught in flagrante delicto in the church with a married parishoner being headlined "You Dirty Pastor!"

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

5 Sams

The Aristocrat Years

winsamsoon

Ken Dodds Dads Dogs Dead , seem to recall hearing that somewhere
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility