Clerical abuse!

Started by D4S, May 20, 2009, 05:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We all know this disgusting scandal is as a result of The Church and The State, but who do you hold mostly accountable, and should therefore pay out the most in compensation to victims?

The State
The Church
Split 50/50

Therealdonald

Quote from: longballin on March 28, 2018, 12:27:12 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on March 28, 2018, 11:55:52 AM
Wasn't corporal punishment basically de rigueur in the 80s and 90s? I would never have connected that with 'abuse' which is much more insidious. Certainly in our school we got regular clippings, but generally we deserved it and there was no hard feelings afterwards.

There were severe beatings dished out by mad men which was way beyond so-called 'corporal punishment.' As for deserving it, any adult who hits a child is a coward and would shit himself if confronted by an adult.

Think thats a bit strong Longball. I got a few clips in secondary school, made sure I knew not to do it again.

longballin

Quote from: Therealdonald on March 28, 2018, 04:39:25 PM
Wasn't corporal punishment basically de rigueur in the 80s and 90s? I would never have connected that with 'abuse' which is much more insidious. Certainly in our school we got regular clippings, but generally we deserved it and there was no hard feelings afterwards.

There were severe beatings dished out by mad men which was way beyond so-called 'corporal punishment.' As for deserving it, any adult who hits a child is a coward and would shit himself if confronted by an adult.

Think thats a bit strong Longball. I got a few clips in secondary school, made sure I knew not to do it again.

Strong or not if a teacher laid a hand on a child of mine...

Therealdonald

Quote from: longballin on March 28, 2018, 05:20:27 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on March 28, 2018, 04:39:25 PM

Strong or not if a teacher laid a hand on a child of mine...

Yeah but its a different time now. I'd be the same.

Owen Brannigan

Corporal punishment illegal from 1897.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Applesisapples on March 28, 2018, 09:46:37 AM
I have to say I am uncomfortable with what is becoming a bit of a witch hunt against St Colman's, relying on memories from 35/40 years ago. It is also not appropriate to judge historic events by todays standards. I have no doubt that Finnegan was guilty of abuse, but the wee spread use of violence that is being insinuated is not how I remember it.

Colman's was not alone in being a school where the corporal punishment was occasionally excessive. 

Memories of violence in school of over 50 years ago have not faded for me. They are just as real and vivid today as they were for me between 1962 and 1977.

I attended CB primary and secondary schools and I vividly remember being beaten excessively and others being given even worse treatment at the hands of both Christian Brothers and lay teachers.  In fact the lay teachers in these school often outdid the Brothers when it came to excessive punishment.

Schools were places of violence in the 60s and 70s when I attended school both in terms of the teachers excessively beating children and pupils fighting in the playground. 

In the 80s when I began teaching I saw less excessive corporal punishment but more violence in the school yard.  This was probably because teachers did not get the same overall view of the school as pupils travelling from class to class and much of the excessive violence of corporal punishment went on behind closed doors.

The situation in Colman's is opening a can of worms for all schools.

Lar Naparka

Not in the Republic.
It was abolished in the early 80s, (IIRC, 198I)
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

longballin

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 28, 2018, 05:49:33 PM
I have to say I am uncomfortable with what is becoming a bit of a witch hunt against St Colman's, relying on memories from 35/40 years ago. It is also not appropriate to judge historic events by todays standards. I have no doubt that Finnegan was guilty of abuse, but the wee spread use of violence that is being insinuated is not how I remember it.

Colman's was not alone in being a school where the corporal punishment was occasionally excessive. 

Memories of violence in school of over 50 years ago have not faded for me. They are just as real and vivid today as they were for me between 1962 and 1977.

I attended CB primary and secondary schools and I vividly remember being beaten excessively and others being given even worse treatment at the hands of both Christian Brothers and lay teachers.  In fact the lay teachers in these school often outdid the Brothers when it came to excessive punishment.

Schools were places of violence in the 60s and 70s when I attended school both in terms of the teachers excessively beating children and pupils fighting in the playground. 

In the 80s when I began teaching I saw less excessive corporal punishment but more violence in the school yard.  This was probably because teachers did not get the same overall view of the school as pupils travelling from class to class and much of the excessive violence of corporal punishment went on behind closed doors.

True - there was brutal violence dished out by lay teachers and the clerics. of course there were many good ones as well, This shite that it did us no harm when you see the level of alcoholism and messed up lives in Ireland. Having said that home wasn't much fun for many kids either.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Lar Naparka on March 28, 2018, 05:51:13 PM
Not in the Republic.
It was abolished in the early 80s, (IIRC, 198I)

Bejaysus they forgot to tell our lads so.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: longballin on March 28, 2018, 05:54:45 PM

True - there was brutal violence dished out by lay teachers and the clerics. of course there were many good ones as well, This shite that it did us no harm when you see the level of alcoholism and messed up lives in Ireland. Having said that home wasn't much fun for many kids either.

100% correct.  The level of violence in the classroom was mirrored by violence in the school yard and beyond.  We are only beginning to understand the effects of violence in society during the troubles and the personal effects of institutional violence will take a lot of research to uncover.

longballin

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on March 28, 2018, 07:58:02 PM
Quote from: longballin on March 28, 2018, 05:54:45 PM

100% correct.  The level of violence in the classroom was mirrored by violence in the school yard and beyond.  We are only beginning to understand the effects of violence in society during the troubles and the personal effects of institutional violence will take a lot of research to uncover.

true and very often those who say 'it didn't do us any harm' are full of rage

Owen Brannigan

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Insane Bolt on May 20, 2018, 07:55:50 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-latin-america-44169484

While the Chile situation is particularly bad, the Irish Church is not far behind in its actions and inactions in relation to abuse.

When the Pope called the Irish bishops together in the last year for a similar meeting they did not have the same integrity to offer their resignations and he didn't ask for them.  What a waste of an opportunity to turn the Irish Church around.

Only an immediate root and branch reform can turn the Irish Church from oblivion in the next 15/20 years when the current batch of clergy in their 70s and 80s are no longer here.

Insane Bolt

In order for the church to survive in Ireland and a lot of Europe I feel they need to allow women priests and for priests to marry. The 'rules' against this are man made.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Insane Bolt on May 20, 2018, 10:26:14 AM
In order for the church to survive in Ireland and a lot of Europe I feel they need to allow women priests and for priests to marry. The 'rules' against this are man made.

All of the rules and regulations in the Catholic Church are 'man made'.