Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NAG1

Great result and a real gritty performance against a horrible team.

Rode their luck at times but to get a result like that is only to be expected.

Tactically changed throughout the game to try to control and stay in the game which looking back at it worked to a treat. Big slice of fortune in the penalty but that seems to be the interpretation from the VAR officials at the moment.

Pleased for Fred easily his best performance for United yet.

No one saying that they can win it, but at the moment none of the teams will want to draw them in the QFs which is a massive step from where the team was for this draw when any of the teams would have been glad to get them.

AZOffaly

Some win for United in fairness. The players are doing one hell of a job interview for Ole. It's amazing what a bit of positivity will do.

GetOverTheBar

Can't profess to love PSG too much, great win for United.

But to call that a penalty? In the last minute, of the biggest competition in the World?

Outrageous - Shambolic decision. PSG have been done here.....but will find sympathy in short supply one suspects.

magpie seanie

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 07, 2019, 09:21:40 AM

But to call that a penalty? In the last minute, of the biggest competition in the World?

Outrageous - Shambolic decision. PSG have been done here.....but will find sympathy in short supply one suspects.

Read the rules my friend. It was a cast iron definite penalty. Rules on handball were changed recently with introduction of VAR. If arms aren't by your side it's a penalty. Karma for Kimpembe after him somehow avoiding getting sent off in the first leg and then scoring to opener. You could see he knew it himself that it was a penalty.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 07, 2019, 09:53:09 AM

Read the rules my friend. It was a cast iron definite penalty. Rules on handball were changed recently with introduction of VAR. If arms aren't by your side it's a penalty. Karma for Kimpembe after him somehow avoiding getting sent off in the first leg and then scoring to opener. You could see he knew it himself that it was a penalty.

Ah come on, the shot was going high and probably wide. There are rules, then there is common sense. You can't seriously say it was a penalty. Karma or not. I'd be very certain another ref does not give this. It'll be interesting to see the next UCL instance of this.

trailer

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 07, 2019, 09:56:30 AM

Ah come on, the shot was going high and probably wide. There are rules, then there is common sense. You can't seriously say it was a penalty. Karma or not. I'd be very certain another ref does not give this. It'll be interesting to see the next UCL instance of this.

What relevance is that? Stone wall peno. Never a doubt, hence the VAR team alerting the Ref.

Boycey

I don't think it matters that it was going wide and high? I'm not a huge fan of VAR as I've said here before, at the end of the day it's still a subjective decision. maybe 1 or 2 refs out of 10 give that and he happened to be one of them.

Not a peno for me but to be honest I don't give a stuff today sometimes fortune favours the brave.. Although BT have a ref in the studio Peter Walton?? and he was adamant it was a pen as he was with one a couple of weeks ago in City vs Schalke. 

I'm sure it's not for everyone but for United fans today there are some brilliant tweets knocking about from last night's shenanigans, the one of Eric, Fergie and Ole in particular being my favourite.

Oles at the wheel. 

magpie seanie

What a result and performance. I just hoped United could ask questions because PSG's second leg collapses must play on their minds. After the mistake of playing Bailly ar RB was rectified I thought United were reasonably comfortable and defended well like they've done in several big games recently. As the game wore on and Lukaku got more tired it got harder and harder to get an attacking outlet. The young lads added a bit of impetus as PSG got nervous but the penalty, even though it was a totally correct decision, was fortunate as the shot was going into row Z. United probably deserved a little slice of luck after the injuries in the first leg and Kimpembe not being sent off and then scoring in the first leg.

As mentioned above Fred's best game by a country mile. Smalling, Lindelof, Shaw defended excellently. Whole team worked hard, totally committed to the gameplan and each other. Just great to see their spirit and togetherness. A special night that will live long in the memory along with Turin '99, Old Trafford '84 and Madrid '67.

Being organised, good defensively, able to absorb pressure but also able to attack can bring you a long way in this competition. Looking forward to the draw.

Maroon Manc

What a night, one of the great nights of been a red. Outside of winning a trophy there's not been too many nights better than that the last 20 years especially given the circumstances.

Don't recall too many complaining about VAR in the first leg when Kimpembe got away twice with been sent off.

This has gone so much than anyone expected so far, tactically he's been beyond outstanding since the 1st leg. We had 5 teenagers on the bench and he brought 3 on, its hard to believe we're through.

magpie seanie

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 07, 2019, 09:56:30 AM

Here you go.

https://m.sport24.co.za/Soccer/International/ifab-redefine-handball-rule-among-other-law-changes-20190305

magpie seanie

Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 07, 2019, 10:19:29 AM
What a night, one of the great nights of been a red. Outside of winning a trophy there's not been too many nights better than that the last 20 years especially given the circumstances.

Don't recall too many complaining about VAR in the first leg when Kimpembe got away twice with been sent off.

This has gone so much than anyone expected so far, tactically he's been beyond outstanding since the 1st leg. We had 5 teenagers on the bench and he brought 3 on, its hard to believe we're through.

Absolutely 100% agree and think many are missing this. Ability to adjust mid game is there also. Hopefully get some players back and see where this all goes. It is hard to believe what happened last night.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: magpie seanie on March 07, 2019, 10:22:48 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on March 07, 2019, 10:19:29 AM

Absolutely 100% agree and think many are missing this. Ability to adjust mid game is there also. Hopefully get some players back and see where this all goes. It is hard to believe what happened last night.

I'm on cloud nine, hopefully get some luck with a draw given how we've had it so tough this season.

OGS is so positive, he gave the players no excuses before the match not to perform. I think Sanchez getting injured will do us a favour, he's playing appallingly and United were practically carrying him.

Bord na Mona man

For me last night ranks above Moscow 2008 and behind Nou Camp 1999. It's might only have been a last 16 encounter but in the context of the last 6 years and the last 6 months...

The penalty decision was harsh but correct. Ironic it was Kimpembe who got pinged, him having scored in the 1st leg when he should have been off.

If Ole doesn't get the job now, there will be riots. A key factor of his success is having Phelan, Carrick and McKenna all putting their heads together and working as a collective. It only works with the right personalities who don't have egos.

Seeing DiMaria's reptilian mug at the final whistle was a Mastercard moment.

Aaron Boone

Even if United had won 2-1 (and gone out of CL), it would still have been seen as a good night for Solskjaer.

Denn Forever

Now that was a finish.  4 English teams in last 16.  Who would you like a crack at?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...