McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyroneman

As I've said before  - Armagh now  have their best panel since the glory days and if McGeeney fails to get somehting out of them this year you would have to question the wisdom of renewing his contract. Thier front 6 is right up there with Kerry/ Tyrone / Monaghan / Mayo (just maybe not Dublin)

Tackling is thier major downfall. Far too many fouls given away with poor technique and playing the man not the ball.

That and acting the hard men when thery don't need to.

Walter Cronc

Quote from: tyroneman on January 20, 2019, 01:36:08 PM
As I've said before  - Armagh now  have their best panel since the glory days and if McGeeney fails to get somehting out of them this year you would have to question the wisdom of renewing his contract. Thier front 6 is right up there with Kerry/ Tyrone / Monaghan / Mayo (just maybe not Dublin)

Tackling is thier major downfall. Far too many fouls given away with poor technique and playing the man not the ball.

Pot kettle with that current Tyrone side.

Throw ball

A big problem with the tackling is that referees in Armagh let a lot more go. It is not so much they are acting the hard man more they are doing what they are used to. Anyone at an Armagh club championship game can see that.

trailer

Quote from: Throw ball on January 20, 2019, 01:40:28 PM

A big problem with the tackling is that referees in Armagh let a lot more go. It is not so much they are acting the hard man more they are doing what they are used to. Anyone at an Armagh club championship game can see that.

<facepalm>

Main Street

Quote from: armaghniac on January 20, 2019, 01:14:28 AM
Quote from: trailer on January 19, 2019, 10:43:41 PM
It's only a rivalry if Tyrone continue to field a 2nd / 3rd string, which is unlikely.

Trailer, is your first name Coat?

No, but I'd say his second name is Trash.

illdecide

Armagh have improved alright but it wouldn't have been hard to improve as we've been poor enough over the last 5 years or so, from the forward line last night we have Murnin, E rafferty, O'Neill to force their way in. For defence P Hughes and A Forker to come in (remind me who else is missing), our defence is going to let us down. I know a few Tyrone wans are winding us up but they're right, we do give far too many fouls away and TBH there was at least 2-3 times in that game last night where our defenders high tackled a Tyrone player when there was no need to even touch them as they were going out of play...Criminal.

I do believe Tyrone are still a few steps ahead of us and IMHO if the ground was firmer Tyrone are 5-6 pts a better team, they have a few better athletic runners than us but we are making strides and closing the gap ever so slightly and who knows where we'll be come start of August (hopefully the Super 8's). All in all not a bad match and both managers will be pleased for a match like that this time of the year which will serve both teams well for the coming weeks.

For something different...someone mentioned about taking the McKenna cup serious...I remember teams using the league and more often than not the last 2-3 matches of it for getting ready for the Championship, the way it's going we're using the McKenna cup to get ready for the league and maybe in a few years we'll have something else to prepare us for the McKenna cup :P
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

tonto1888

Quote from: illdecide on January 20, 2019, 03:44:49 PM
Armagh have improved alright but it wouldn't have been hard to improve as we've been poor enough over the last 5 years or so, from the forward line last night we have Murnin, E rafferty, O'Neill to force their way in. For defence P Hughes and A Forker to come in (remind me who else is missing), our defence is going to let us down. I know a few Tyrone wans are winding us up but they're right, we do give far too many fouls away and TBH there was at least 2-3 times in that game last night where our defenders high tackled a Tyrone player when there was no need to even touch them as they were going out of play...Criminal.

I do believe Tyrone are still a few steps ahead of us and IMHO if the ground was firmer Tyrone are 5-6 pts a better team, they have a few better athletic runners than us but we are making strides and closing the gap ever so slightly and who knows where we'll be come start of August (hopefully the Super 8's). All in all not a bad match and both managers will be pleased for a match like that this time of the year which will serve both teams well for the coming weeks.

For something different...someone mentioned about taking the McKenna cup serious...I remember teams using the league and more often than not the last 2-3 matches of it for getting ready for the Championship, the way it's going we're using the McKenna cup to get ready for the league and maybe in a few years we'll have something else to prepare us for the McKenna cup :P

Burns is the only other one I can think of to come back. Is he injured?

trailer

Quote from: illdecide on January 20, 2019, 03:44:49 PM

A big year awaits for Armagh in Div 2. If they can give that a good rattle and I expect they will, then a Super 8's appearance is a realistic target. 7 big games coming up.

mackers

Quote from: trailer on January 20, 2019, 02:23:43 PM
Quote from: Throw ball on January 20, 2019, 01:40:28 PM

<facepalm>
Throwball is 100% right.  If Kevin Faloon was refereeing that game last night there would hardly have been a free given! A review of refereeing in Armagh is badly needed.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

smelmoth

Just watched the TG4 coverage. What team sheet did they have?

McGeeney didn't look too unhappy at the end. He has got what he wanted from the competition

Tyrone looked to have got a few scores (3 to my mind) from dubious frees but the big issue remains our tackling. Our reaction to a free being given against us probably doesn't endear us to the ref. I noticed McGeary laughing and joking with the ref after his yellow card. Later he somehow escapes a 2nd yellow. A lesson there??

Morgan might well been unlucky in getting the second card but he lives on the edge. James needs to tighten up and Geezer needs to luck at some of the needless cards we get and subbing off those carrying the cards.

Kick out remain an issue. Hard to tell what the issue is but the area needs work.

Hopefully we get a few more back for the start of the league. Burns at the back and Murnin would add a lot to that team

illdecide

What about Jarleth Og? was he not playing a few games earlier in the competition and what about young McQuillan (Martin's son from St Pats)

tonto1888

Quote from: illdecide on January 20, 2019, 10:39:27 PM
What about Jarleth Og? was he not playing a few games earlier in the competition and what about young McQuillan (Martin's son from St Pats)

He came on as a sub the last two games. Has been playing Sigerson.
McQuillan cane on did he not?

illdecide

Quote from: tonto1888 on January 21, 2019, 07:43:59 AM

TBH i've lost track of these young lads (that's how you know you're getting old)

tonto1888

Quote from: illdecide on January 21, 2019, 09:08:47 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on January 21, 2019, 07:43:59 AM

TBH i've lost track of these young lads (that's how you know you're getting old)

Haha. The number 22 came on. He was listed as McKenna but I'm sure it was McQuillan

mackers

22 was Jason Duffy who was listed as McKenna as far as I remember.  Ross was the no 24 who came on but he was listed as Aidan Nugent!!!  The programme people had a stinker on Saturday evening.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.