Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: stiff breeze on August 25, 2020, 09:43:34 AM
Ballyholland men here saying that any other team would act the same way ..... no not any other team , yours maybe given their recent behaviour . There is no excuse ever for that spectacle .

I'm sure Paul would be the first to admit he made a mistake after the game on the time when he reflects on it , but to be surrounded by half a dozen players and officials is bound to be a scary situation . To be fair to one of the kilcoo men , the chairman I think , he seemed to be trying to get his members away from Paul . He made a mistake , he's human . If a player makes a mistake do his team members surround him and give him grief after the fact ... no they don't . We need referees , no games take place without them . Paul made one error , the time . The overturning the line ball was a decision he should be complimented for because it was THE RIGHT CALL 🙄. Yes Some 50/50 decisions went against kilcoo , Such is the game . Get over it and take ur medicine and come back better

Are you not a Glenn man?

I'm used to GAA folk who can combine a short memory and a burning passion to convince themselves of anything. But you should probably wait another couple of seasons before throwing stones from your greenhouse.

Smurfy123

How can Sharvin justify given that line ball to Kilcoo that Faloon overturned? He was 5 yards from it? Blatant cheating if you ask me. Many referees would take the easy option and go with the linesman but Faloon seen through Sharvin.

upandwin

Speaking to a few Burren men yesterday in work and they were all hoping to get Kilcoo in the draw...exact words were 'If the point can manage to beat them then they aren't that good...' seems a strange take on the whole sitatuion but they'll be (not so) quietly confident this weekend...

downjim

If reports that Paul Faloon has quit refereeing Gaelic games over Sunday evening then it's an absolute disgrace. I thought he refereed his brilliantly and that added to the spectacle. An open apology from the Kilcoo club would go along way. Chairmen , Ex chairmen, Secretary's, county board delegates should know better than to encroach the playing field to abuse refs. How can Kilcoo underage coaches teach respect when they see their top rank officials behave like that. The county board need to deal with this for the integrity of Gaelic football in this county. No cup is worth more than respect.

stiff breeze

Quote from: thewobbler on August 25, 2020, 10:29:00 AM
Quote from: stiff breeze on August 25, 2020, 09:43:34 AM
Ballyholland men here saying that any other team would act the same way ..... no not any other team , yours maybe given their recent behaviour . There is no excuse ever for that spectacle .

I'm sure Paul would be the first to admit he made a mistake after the game on the time when he reflects on it , but to be surrounded by half a dozen players and officials is bound to be a scary situation . To be fair to one of the kilcoo men , the chairman I think , he seemed to be trying to get his members away from Paul . He made a mistake , he's human . If a player makes a mistake do his team members surround him and give him grief after the fact ... no they don't . We need referees , no games take place without them . Paul made one error , the time . The overturning the line ball was a decision he should be complimented for because it was THE RIGHT CALL 🙄. Yes Some 50/50 decisions went against kilcoo , Such is the game . Get over it and take ur medicine and come back better

Are you not a Glenn man?

I'm used to GAA folk who can combine a short memory and a burning passion to convince themselves of anything. But you should probably wait another couple of seasons before throwing stones from your greenhouse.

I am and unlike you I'm saying these scenes have no place in our game . There is no justification for having a volunteer fearing his safety , none ....ever .

thewobbler

You're not reading what I've been saying then Stiff Breeze. To repeat:

1. These scenes have no place in our game and I'd love a zero tolerance approach to be implemented.

2. But given how commonplace it is for managers, subs and admins to encroach the field of play, and given how commonplace it is for them and players to surround and verbally abuse referees, I don't think Kilcoo's behaviour the other night was unexpected. In fact I fully expect every single club in Ireland would behave in a similar fashion, in that context.

Your club would. My club would. CPN would. Burren would. All the clubs from the mouthpieces above would.

elk

Quote from: upandwin on August 25, 2020, 08:54:56 AM
Say what you like about this forum but by Christ It is entertaining...I'm not biased towards any particular referee or against any either but from where I watched the match it was referred excellently (apart from the obvious mistake with time which was crazy). During the 59 and a half mins of play however :) I think Faloon had a fantastic game and that's hard to do where Kilcoo are involved. I don't think naming referees for calling them out is appropriate on here but let's look at the conspiracy theory from outside the Magpie camp for a second if you want to go down this rabbit hole.

Kilcoo v Burren in 2015 Q/F (I think, could be wrong on year) Gerard McGovern black card for 'sledging' (never seen or heard of that before or after that instance) when Burren were well on top, that changed the game and Kilcoo won.

Kilcoo v Burren 2017- Kilcoo MANAGEMENT kick Balls on to the pitch to waste time and no extra time added to allow for their shithousery, then they cried off for Burren doing same thing in 2018 in County final the following year

Kilcoo v CPN in 2018 S/F-I counted 5 free kicks given to Kilcoo in that game which were at best, not fouls and at worst, actually free kicks the other way-4 of these amounted to scores)...Point captain Boyle got two yellows in this game and sent off when Point were winning by 2 and in ascendancy...His first yellow card was mystifying and Devlin got nothing for two of the EXACT same tackles...Kilcoo won by 3/4 points...

Kilcoo v Clonduff 2019 S/F- One of the Brannigans reckless flying knees in to the keeper at the end and scuffle ensues...McConville and keeper both sent off and Brannigan gets a YELLOW card from a Rostrevor referee (I wonder why a Rostrevor man wouldn't want an important Kilcoo player to be suspended for their final that particular year)

Constant reports of Referees doing in-house games and overseeing TACKLING GRIDS and Pressure cooker drills in training sessions too, maybe Paul Faloon wasn't willing to be bought off by the Magpies and hence the grudge they have towards him...

Makes for a more appealing conspiracy theory than the 'Sure yer man forgot the remote' narrative...

For those of you might miss the tone of this post I'll sum it up...Sometimes decisions go your way, sometimes they don't...sometimes teams feel hard done by and it happens EVERY SINGLE CLUB at some point...The way I see it, when you are the favourites in a match or champonship-you will always get the rub of the green from referees when it matters (IN ALL SPORTS) and that will be the same until you become the big team...as underdogs you are going to have to beat the favourites and the referee...you will have to overcome 16 men maybe 17 men really when you have umpires that can't make the big calls evenly...Kilcoo did it at one point to overturn the burren team that was dominating 10yrs ago, as did Burren to take down the Mighty Bridge sides early 2000s...so will Burren or Warrenpoint or anyone else that wants a crack at the title...they will have to beat all the officials too, or get a half strong referee with the backbone to refer unbiased and make calls as he sees them...unfortunately for the chasing pack I think it will have to be the former because we aren't blessed with strong enough referees in this county other than Paul and possibly Con Reynolds who has had a couple of great games in this year's championship already...

Was at the CPN V Kilcoo 2018 game and Ronan Barry definitely had his Kilcoo colours on under his referees jersey that night.

downjim

Wobbler there are mouthpieces in every club but they don't go after the ref when you get beat in a game and certainly the top table in big clubs in this county do not behave in that manner. People are in those roles to show leadership. One person can loss the run of their-self but not the whole bloody executive.I have yet to see Anita Brannigan encroach a field to abuse a referee, Larry Byrne....... etc etc

5times5times

This video to me, sums up Kilcoo.. How some of their supporters cry wolf is staggering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZxfa8OaNc8

Ohanlon scores an incredible free
Waves to the crowd
When running out, delib goes in search of a Cross man
Shoulder each other
Ohanlon goes down holding his face, and the cries (as usual) of the Kilcoo fans.[/li][/list]

Or how about the racial abuse of another Cross player?
Or the sledging to another down club player about their dead parent?

Smurfy123

Everyone knows Barry is a vivid supporter of Kilcoo
He has been for many a year
The Kilcoo colours under his top
As bad a referee in the county

stiff breeze

Quote from: thewobbler on August 25, 2020, 11:29:03 AM

1. These scenes have no place in our game and I'd love a zero tolerance approach to be implemented.

2. But given how commonplace it is for managers, subs and admins to encroach the field of play, and given how commonplace it is for them and players to surround and verbally abuse referees, I don't think Kilcoo's behaviour the other night was unexpected. In fact I fully expect every single club in Ireland would behave in a similar fashion, in that context.

Your club would. My club would. CPN would. Burren would. All the clubs from the mouthpieces above would.

You should leave it at point 1 . I've seen managers approach and abuse an official , In the wrong Completely , but it's 1 person losing the run of themselves , this was players , management and club officials. Let's see how the county board stands behind their official , time for a line to be drawn in the sand .

thewobbler

Quote from: downjim on August 25, 2020, 11:45:07 AM
Wobbler there are mouthpieces in every club but they don't go after the ref when you get beat in a game and certainly the top table in big clubs in this county do not behave in that manner. People are in those roles to show leadership. One person can loss the run of their-self but not the whole bloody executive.I have yet to see Anita Brannigan encroach a field to abuse a referee, Larry Byrne....... etc etc

Whereas I've seen dozens of club officers flood absolute bile in the face of officials after matches, for perceived bias. Sometimes it's heat of the moment. Sometimes it's cold and callous.

Hence I think it's genuinely understandable that when an indisputably incorrect decision (to blow up early) goes against a club, that there is an immediate outburst of wrath to the referee from all involved.

——

There's a further conundrum for Kilcoo here. I think everyone would appreciate it if they released a statement, and an apology to the referee.

But unless Faloon writes up individuals specifically, I'm not sure how CCC might intervene. They could pull Kilcoo on a "bringing the game into disrepute" charge, but that surely couldn't stick in any appeals process, unless the referee is prepared to identify individuals as being directly personal and threatening. The video coverage isn't enough to hang any single person individually, especially as it was after the final whistle and people have a right to enter the pitch.

So they're unlikely to implicate themselves in any way for wrong doing, because that admission of guilt might actually help any potential disrepute case against them.

It's awkward.

I'd love clubs to man up and admit it when they're wrong. It would be step one in the process of fixing this sort of problem. Just can't see it happening here.

thewobbler

Quote from: stiff breeze on August 25, 2020, 11:50:05 AM

You should leave it at point 1 . I've seen managers approach and abuse an official , In the wrong Completely , but it's 1 person losing the run of themselves , this was players , management and club officials. Let's see how the county board stands behind their official , time for a line to be drawn in the sand .

I disagree.

There's half a dozen posters who want to portray this as a Kilcoo problem.

It's not.

It's an institutional problem in the GAA.

They're no angels. Not even close. But any person adopting a holier than thou attitude against Kilcoo this week, I make them wrong. Every club would have behaved equally appallingly (or worse) in that exact context.

The root problem here isn't Kilcoo. It's is fucked up rulebook and appeals process that facilitates this behaviour

stiff breeze

Quote from: thewobbler on August 25, 2020, 12:05:14 PM
Quote from: stiff breeze on August 25, 2020, 11:50:05 AM

I disagree.

There's half a dozen posters who want to portray this as a Kilcoo problem.

It's not.

It's an institutional problem in the GAA.

They're no angels. Not even close. But any person adopting a holier than thou attitude against Kilcoo this week, I make them wrong. Every club would have behaved equally appallingly (or worse) in that exact context.

The root problem here isn't Kilcoo. It's is fucked up rulebook and appeals process that facilitates this behaviour

No I disagree , not every club would not have reacted the same , that's a massive generalisation . Some clubs have a win no matter what approach , most dont . To clarify my position , I like how kilcoo operate on the field Playing football , great buy in , great club pitches and for a small pick they work wonders . I'm the fartherest thing from anti kilcoo . I just think it was wrong , what club did it is irrelevant to me .

We agree on the rules and appeals thing though

downjim

We have all been shafted down the years by refs or at least thought we were. John Anthony and Mickey Cranney must get a mention in must pubs every weekend in County Down ffs
There is no justification for that behaviour whatsoever whether it be Kilcoo, Harps , Burren or whoever. A statement? What club members would be fit to stand up against the culprits  who were the instigators.
The county has trouble getting referees and after Sunday night who in their right mind would take up the whistle.