Previous topic - Next topic

Messi or Ronaldo - Who's best

Lionel Messi
Cristiano Ronaldo

tonto1888

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on December 15, 2022, 12:38:07 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on December 15, 2022, 12:32:00 PM
Quote from: pbat on December 15, 2022, 07:55:37 AM
Ronaldo became the player he was mainly based on his athleticism, pure power. Messi was far more naturally skilled.

this is why I think Messi is better

So it would be fair to say that they are 2 different players with amazing stats and records, so personal choice is ok.

Personally I love how messi plays, but I loved Ronaldo's drive.. As David said earlier he's into the midfield players and what they did for the team, they load the bullets for these guys, they are the ones I preferred watching

Exactly, its all opinion and thinking one is better does not mean you think the other is a bad player

tonto1888

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on December 16, 2022, 12:06:03 AM
If you'd all get past the idea that the best player needs to be an attacker, you'd see it's very obviously a toss-up between Maldini and McGrath.

With honorable mention to Zanetti.

Throw Baresi in there also

laoislad

Quote from: tonto1888 on December 16, 2022, 07:10:09 AM
Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on December 16, 2022, 12:06:03 AM
If you'd all get past the idea that the best player needs to be an attacker, you'd see it's very obviously a toss-up between Maldini and McGrath.

With honorable mention to Zanetti.

Throw Baresi in there also
And Gary Breen.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Itchy

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 15, 2022, 10:55:19 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on December 15, 2022, 06:00:05 PM
The reason I suggested Xavi is that for me he changed the way football is played. Messi and Ronaldo whilst very very good. I don't think they entirely changed the game. The game now is far more possession and passing based than it was pre Xavi. Xavi is the main reason for that.

His stats are equally if not more remarkable than Messi or Ronaldos. For example. In the history of the World Cup before Xavi retired only two other players had recorded 100+ successful passes in a single game. Xavi did it 4 times in his first seven matches. Now at this World Cup 10 players managed it in the first round of matches alone.

About 10 years ago Xavi played for 67 minutes in a La Liga game against Levante. In that game Xavi recorded more touches, more passes and more time in possession than the Levante did in 90 minutes.

Of course none of this means I'm correct. But I think it does show how pointless the debate is.
Jesus those are wild stats. Like you say it's all down to preference, always felt that great Spain team weren't great to watch a lot of the time. No doubt Xavi was a class act though!

Xavi may have changed how the game is played, did he change it for the good though.

nrico2006

Did xavi really change the game? Giving him a bit too much credit here.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

RedHand88

Quote from: nrico2006 on December 16, 2022, 09:43:48 AM

Are we talking about Xavi, or he Welsh Xavi here?

https://youtu.be/cWG2dS9iVpo

David McKeown

I don't think we are. The game is completely different now to what it was even 20 years ago. Was Xavi the only one responsible for that? Absolutely not but for me he was the talisman. His stats were revolutionary and players now are starting to catch up.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Armagh18

Quote from: David McKeown on December 16, 2022, 09:52:20 AM

I don't think we are. The game is completely different now to what it was even 20 years ago. Was Xavi the only one responsible for that? Absolutely not but for me he was the talisman. His stats were revolutionary and players now are starting to catch up.
How much of that was down to Pep's coaching? Or going further back, Cryuff's?

illdecide

Can't believe we got to 30 pages and no one has mentioned Larry Reilly...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Captain Obvious

Quote from: illdecide on December 16, 2022, 11:10:42 AM
Can't believe we got to 30 pages and no one has mentioned Larry Reilly...
Can close thread now.

rrhf

No conversation without mentioning Peter Canavan is valid. Dont care what the sport is. 

laoislad

Quote from: rrhf on December 16, 2022, 05:22:17 PM
No conversation without mentioning Peter Canavan is valid. Dont care what the sport is.
Henry Shefflin was a better hurler than Canavan was a footballer.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

David McKeown

Quote from: Armagh18 on December 16, 2022, 10:23:00 AM

Well he effectively replaced Pep in the Barca team and he was playing under Van Gall in the first team 10 years before Pep took over.  How much of Pep's coaching philosophy is based around what Xavi could do?

I remember hearing a story years ago that Pep was at la Masia in the mid 90's as hed been asked to give out awards as club captain.  The story goes that he said to Xavi whilst giving him his award you are the player that will retire me but he (pointing at Iniesta) will retire both of us.  That showed two things, one Guardiola could fairly spot talent but secondly that he was awful at guessing players ages as theres less than 4 years age difference between Xavi and Iniesta

As for whether he changed the game for the better that's a whole other debate
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Armagh18

Quote from: David McKeown on December 16, 2022, 08:13:36 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on December 16, 2022, 10:23:00 AM

Well he effectively replaced Pep in the Barca team and he was playing under Van Gall in the first team 10 years before Pep took over.  How much of Pep's coaching philosophy is based around what Xavi could do?

I remember hearing a story years ago that Pep was at la Masia in the mid 90's as hed been asked to give out awards as club captain.  The story goes that he said to Xavi whilst giving him his award you are the player that will retire me but he (pointing at Iniesta) will retire both of us.  That showed two things, one Guardiola could fairly spot talent but secondly that he was awful at guessing players ages as theres less than 4 years age difference between Xavi and Iniesta

As for whether he changed the game for the better that's a whole other debate
Yeah heard that story myself as well. For what it's worth I think Modric deserves a mention in the same category as the Xavi's and Iniestas.

Silver hill

Quote from: laoislad on December 16, 2022, 05:40:18 PM
Quote from: rrhf on December 16, 2022, 05:22:17 PM
Henry Shefflin was a better hurler than Canavan was a footballer.

Would disagree. Shefflin was a machine, a robotic hurler. Dj had more natural ability, flair and pace.
Canavan was a brilliant footballer. Intelligent, had serious pace, wicked when he needed to be. A serious operator.