Holiday injury

Started by supersarsfields, June 30, 2010, 11:40:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supersarsfields

Just looking a bit of advise. Cut my toe in Barcelona there at the wkend and had to get three stitches. Cost 300 as I had no insurance. (surprise trip for couple of days and never actually remembered).
Just wondering if there is any avenue open for claiming it back. I'd assume not but would just like to make sure!!! 

Bogball XV

Quote from: supersarsfields on June 30, 2010, 11:40:06 PM
Just looking a bit of advise. Cut my toe in Barcelona there at the wkend and had to get three stitches. Cost 300 as I had no insurance. (surprise trip for couple of days and never actually remembered).
Just wondering if there is any avenue open for claiming it back. I'd assume not but would just like to make sure!!!
if you had the e1 11 form (or whatever it's called) would you still have been charged? 

http://www.nhs.uk/nhsengland/Healthcareabroad/pages/Healthcareabroad.aspx  Looks like everyone should apply and get on of these anyway?

Have you got VHI?  There's a worldwide health cover thing in some plans of that

supersarsfields

Yeah I've been told about that e1 11 thingy since I got back. Definitely have to get it as I don't think I would have had to pay if I had it. Unfortunately wasn't aware of it before I left!!

Normally have insurance but it was a surprise birthday gift so didn't get it sorted this time. Mores the pity!!

DennistheMenace

WeeDonns

Pretty sure I told you to get the E1 11 a couple of years ago before going skiing, so I told you so :P

For anyone that hasn't got one, you should. Its handier than claiming through your travel insurance, just flash the card at the hospital and they do all the paper work.

SS, you should call this number: Overseas Healthcare Team (Newcastle), 0191 218 1999 (Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm)
They can help you claim back the money if you didn't show an E1 11 card. The only thing is, the E1 11 entitles you to the NHS equivalent for the country you are in, and Spain mainly has private medical care, afaik, so if you got the stitches in at a private clinic it probably doesn't cover you.

Rois

I am an expert in claiming for holiday injuries - broken arm, root canal dental treatment, chronic sunburn.

Get annual insurance from now on ye dope.

supersarsfields

Cheers for the heads up there Rois!!  :D

The worst is that I actually thought I had Holiday insurance through my bank account. It's one of them U first accounts with the ulster bank. But it was actually just mobile Insurance I had, I needed to upgrade to the U first gold account for the holiday insurance!!  :'(

ziggysego

Anytime I go aboard, I get an E111 thingy too. In fact, I signed up for an E111 which covers me three years.
Testing Accessibility

Canalman

Nuts imo to travel without an E111. P..s easy to get, just fill out a  form at the local HB clinic.

Mate's kid gashed her leg in Portugal and showing the Portugese hospital his insurance cover didn't work. He remembered the E111 back in hotel, went back and got it and was treated like royalty afterwards. Seemingly, the Irish Govt are legally bound to pay the hospital expenses and vice versa if a EU citizen with the E111 has hospital treatment here.

Pure stupidity imo to travel abroad without at least travel insurance. Have 12mth cover through Credit Union........................... cost c E100.

Hardy

Just enquired about it there - its now called an EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) down here. It entitles you to free treatment in the public system of any EU country. You don't have to be a medical card holder. You get a form from your local HSE office (see http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/Find_a_Service/entitlements/EHIC/ ) - a single form for a family - each family member gets a card.

The public system is great in many EU countries, but probably not so good in others, so you'd probably need insurance cover for some places.