The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stalin

A single death is a tragedy; a million deaths is a statistic

Norf Tyrone

Apologies for not being on earlier to congratulate yous on your victory.

Disagree with TSO in that I thought Liverpool narrowly deserved it, however I agree in the fact that the effort taken to compete in so many competitions these days has a massive effect. The Blues have been running on empty the last few weeks, and this was reflected in the final third of the pitch where we had no ingenuity whatsoever until SWP came on. It was no surprise to that our best players IMHO were Mikel, and Makalele who haven't played that often this season, plus Essien...who is superb no matter what. Indeed we looked most threatening when Essien burst from defence especially in the 2nd half. Our worst players were easilly Lampard and Drogba who have played far too many games.

For Liverpool Carragher as usual was excellent, but I thought Mascherano was poorish, unlike most on here. He was good in the tackle but his passing was nearly our best creative outlet!

Good luck in Athens, but I believe AC will be hell bent on revenge. However I also thought that they'd hammer you in 05, as would Barce, Chelsea and company this year........
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

GalwayBayBoy

Liverpool stronger than in the past

Oliver Kay

Step into the players' lounge at Anfield and you will notice an enormous mural of Liverpool players celebrating their Champions League final triumph over AC Milan in Istanbul two years ago. To try to put names to all the squad is a difficult exercise, so unfamiliar are some of the faces, as is picking out the 19-year-old who hopped over a fence and joined the celebrations thanks to an official tracksuit "borrowed" from the vacated dugout.

Lee Dames, a semi-professional player with Vauxhall Motors, treasures the photographs of him among his victorious idols, but he is unlikely to have been alone in feeling like a gatecrasher. Liverpool supporters still joke that Djimi Traoré and Igor Biscan have won more European Cups than any Evertonian, but the same applies to Josémi and Antonio Nuñez, two Spanish imports who were among the substitutes.

And what of Salif Diao, Ritchie Partridge and Zak Whitbread — now with Stoke City, Rotherham United and Millwall respectively — who were not in the 18-man squad but also joined the marginally more obscure Dames in the post-match festivities?

Say what you like about this Liverpool team's chances in Athens on May 23, but Rafael Benítez knows they are stronger, far stronger, than the motley crew who somehow overcame Milan two years ago. Back then, in his first season in charge at Anfield, the Liverpool manager would start his team-selection plans with a core of four or five players and would often have to ask the likes of Traoré, Biscan and Nuñez to fill in around the edges. Now he can look forward to this season's final knowing that he has appealing options (he would say "possibilities") in just about every position, particularly central midfield, where the presence of Steven Gerrard, Xabi Alonso, Mohamed Sissoko and Javier Mascherano amounts to an embarrassment of riches.

Related Links
Milan v Liverpool: who has the advantage?
The 2005 final will be remembered as Jerzy Dudek's finest hour, as he made a stupendous save from Andriy Shevchenko late in extra time before denying Andrea Pirlo and, decisively, Shevchenko in the penalty shoot-out. Dudek joked afterwards that "I can retire now" and, in terms of his Liverpool career, he may as well have done as Benítez, not exactly the sentimental type, brought in José Manuel Reina to replace the likeable but inconsistent Pole.

Reina has had the odd erratic moment since his arrival from Villarreal, but he is a far more reliable goalkeeper than the jittery Dudek of 2005. And, as he proved against Chelsea in the semi-final, second leg on Tuesday and indeed in the FA Cup Final against West Ham United last May, he is no less adept in penalty shoot-outs.

Gradually, the team have begun to bear the Benítez hallmark. As Carlo Ancelotti, the Milan coach, said on Tuesday, "Liverpool are not as good as Manchester but they are harder physically". Might they also be harder mentally, at least when it comes to beating top-class opponents on the European stage? Their record in the Champions League under Benítez includes two-leg victories over Barcelona, Juventus and Chelsea (twice) and, for all that they lack the flair to win enough matches to challenge for the Barclays Premiership, their tactical nous in Europe — starting with Benítez but embraced on the pitch by Jamie Carragher, Alonso and Mascherano — appears unrivalled.

Deficiencies persist. Despite a rapid turnover of personnel in attack, Liverpool still lack a top-class striker, even if Benítez trusts Dirk Kuyt far more than he did Milan Baros. There also remains lack of quality from wide areas, which is one reason why Gerrard is likely to find himself consigned to the right wing. But where there is Gerrard, there is hope. Man for man, Liverpool may remain inferior to Milan, but the gulf in class is not half as wide as the one they bridged in Istanbul.

How Liverpool rates

José Manuel Reina A far more reliable goalkeeper than Jerzy Dudek looked two years ago and, like the Pole, is a penalty-saving expert 8

Steve Finnan Seemed one of the weak links in team who reached 2005 final, but has emerged as an integral part of the defence 7

Jamie Carragher Would not have begun to merit comparison to Alessandro Nesta three years ago, but has grown in stature 8

Daniel Agger Liability in first leg against Chelsea, but vastly improved on Tuesday, when he also scored all-important goal 7

Álvaro Arbeloa Likely to play at left back in Athens, even though he is right-footed. Jury is out 6

Steven Gerrard Can expect to be sent back out to right wing against AC Milan but will be desperate to repeat Istanbul heroics 8

Javier Mascherano A calamity at West Ham United, but a revelation at Anfield. Guile may secure place ahead of Mohamed Sissoko 7

Xabi Alonso Classy deep-lying playmaker in Andrea Pirlo mould but has not reached that level this season. Left out on Tuesday but likely to be involved from start against Milan 7

John Arne Riise Honest, committed, gives team balance and packs thunderous left-foot shot. But would not get close to Milan team 6

Dirk Kuyt Struggles against top-class defences and is yet to score in Champions League for Liverpool. Is a Rafael Benítez favourite because of workrate rather than flair 7

Craig Bellamy A likely selection because of pace, but struggling to convince Benítez in longer term 6

Total 77

Declan

Heighway: Rafa's plan for young Reds 'crazy'

Liverpool academy boss Steve Heighway has described Rafael Benitez's decision to assume control of the coaching of the club's up-and-coming players as "crazy".

Heighway oversaw the Reds' triumph in the FA Youth Cup final last week and announced after the second leg that he would be leaving the academy after 19 years.

He told The Times: "Rafa is a terrific manager, tactically astute with qualities I really admire, but in my view I'm the best coach of 17 and 18-year-old players in this club.

"But I no longer get the chance to do that. That's crazy, that's mad; it's to the detriment of the young players at this club."

During Heighway's time at the club players such as Michael Owen, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher have come through the ranks.

An Fear Rua

Former Liverpool striker Milan Baros has been banned for three games for pretending that an opponent smelled. (Daily Mirror)  :D :D
Its Grim up North

gawa316

Quote from: Declan on May 04, 2007, 08:45:11 AM
Heighway: Rafa's plan for young Reds 'crazy'

Liverpool academy boss Steve Heighway has described Rafael Benitez's decision to assume control of the coaching of the club's up-and-coming players as "crazy".

Heighway oversaw the Reds' triumph in the FA Youth Cup final last week and announced after the second leg that he would be leaving the academy after 19 years.

He told The Times: "Rafa is a terrific manager, tactically astute with qualities I really admire, but in my view I'm the best coach of 17 and 18-year-old players in this club.

"But I no longer get the chance to do that. That's crazy, that's mad; it's to the detriment of the young players at this club."

During Heighway's time at the club players such as Michael Owen, Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher have come through the ranks.

Although Heighway has to be commended on our 2 recent youth cup wins, no player since Stevie G has been able to make the step up to the first team, which is disappointing considering the resources we have put into the academy.

On your other mans ratings of the team (although slightly bias) I would mark them as follows:

Reina 8, Finnan 8, Carra 9, Agger 8, Arbeloa 6, Gerrard 9, Mascherano 8, Alonso 8, Riise 7, Kuyt 7 & Bells 6. Total 84

DickyRock

We'll get to wear the Red kit in Athens as AC have chosen to where their white kit.

:)

High Catch

Crouch must start in the final.  Keep Bellamy for later on in the game to run at Milan's tired old legs.  My team would be the same as second leg v Chelsea with the exception of Alonso replacing Zenden.  However if there were to be any injuries or if Pennant remains out, i would go for midfeild of Gerrard, Alonso, Masch, Zenden.

full back

Quote from: High Catch on May 04, 2007, 12:39:42 PM
However if there were to be any injuries or if Pennant remains out, i would go for midfeild of Gerrard, Alonso, Masch, Zenden.

At the risk of being tole to fcuk off, how can Liverpool honestly think of playing Zenden in the final?

High Catch

He done rightly in the second leg.  I would not have him in my first choice 11 for the final but if there were to be any injuries then Zenden would certainly be in with a shout.

bingobus

Quote from: full back on May 04, 2007, 12:42:08 PM
However if there were to be any injuries or if Pennant remains out, i would go for midfeild of Gerrard, Alonso, Masch, Zenden.

At the risk of being tole to fcuk off, how can Liverpool honestly think of playing Zenden in the final?

fcuk off  ;)

Harry Kewell played 20 minutes in the mini derby and by all accounts is looking very lean. I'd expect him to start in his usual Cup final cameo role. Rafa plays Zenden to keep the ball, unlike Gonzalez. He was played agianst Chelsea to allow Riise playe LB and use his physicall presence to give Agger a hand with Drogba. I'd expect Riise to start LM nad Arbeloa slot back in at LB.

High Catch

See Gerrard looking to end his career at Anfield. £120,000 a week.  At least it would put an end to the annual transfer speculation. Altough i'm don't think he will ever have thoughts about joining Chelsea now ;)

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: full back on May 04, 2007, 12:42:08 PM

I'm not a fan of Zenden but you can see the logic in him being picked.

Kewell and Aurelio are both injured. Both would play ahead of him.

Riise is having to play left-back as Arbeloa can do a good job at right-back but not so much at left-back.

Gonzalez hasn't shown enough yet to get picked for the big games. He might be better going forward than Zenden but there are big question marks over the defensive side of his game.

It's not like Zenden is first-choice there but he's being played to give a bit of balance to the side. Personally I'd probably move Riise up but then you have to decide who plays left-back.

In fairness to Zenden I though he played quite well against Chelsea at Anfield but I admit I'd prefer to see him on th bench in Athens.

Gabriel_Hurl

Any sign of Rafa's lovechild being back for the game?

He's a big-game player