The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

QuoteAdd that to your history Liverfool

Don't mind if we do, thanks.

deiseach

Watching Mourinho made me feel a little sorry for journalists. He can say talk utter nonsense, safe in the knowledge that anyone who pulls him up on it will be blackballed by the very people he / she depends on for their livelihood.

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

deiseach

Huh. No shots of Mrs deiseach yet. Shame.

blast05

QuoteHow many times does "the best" team win any competition, especially one played in a knock-out format?

Are Italy the best international side in the world? Were Greece the best in Europe three years ago? Would Arsenal have been the best had they held on last year?

Liverpool have knocked out Chelsea and Barcelona. Had one of those gone on to win it, you probably wouldn't be making this complaint.

And let's say the competition returned to league champions-only entry. If United pip Chelsea for the league title by a point, suggesting two very closely matched teams, would it not be devaluing the competition to lose a team of the quality of Chelsea (or vice versa), thus giving a team from a weaker league an increased chance of winning it?

To use an example closer to home, Dublin had a relatively handy passage to the All Ireland semi-final last year. Say they had beaten Mayo (a mere two point swing) in the semi, and caught Kerry on the hop in the final. Would the All Ireland championship thus be deemed a devalued competition?

Fair enough, i just think that if you had the top 20 clubs in Europe competing in a 38 games season, that the title "champions of Europe" as a title could be much more justified and from what little i know, i doubt Liverpool would be contenders for such a title.
In most other sports, the cream tends to rise more in the premier competition be it due to the structure of the competition or the nature of the sport.
Pardon my ignorance, but would Premier League clubs prefer to win the champions league or the Premier League. .... innocent question for fear that the answer is obviously the latter

armaghniac

QuoteTo use an example closer to home, Dublin had a relatively handy passage to the All Ireland semi-final last year. Say they had beaten Mayo (a mere two point swing) in the semi, and caught Kerry on the hop in the final. Would the All Ireland championship thus be deemed a devalued competition?

Yes. In the 21st century you have to knock out Armagh to win a real all-Ireland.

However Liverpool have as much right to be in the final and win the competition as anyone else.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

GalwayBayBoy

Rafa gets some Yoga practice in during the penalties.

highking

I was wondering why there was such a low turnout at training this evening - until I came home and saw the penalties. Why do they have to put on the Champions League mid-week when club training is on. The young lads will make any excuse not to go training.

J70

Quote from: blast05 on May 02, 2007, 12:31:30 AM
QuoteHow many times does "the best" team win any competition, especially one played in a knock-out format?

Are Italy the best international side in the world? Were Greece the best in Europe three years ago? Would Arsenal have been the best had they held on last year?

Liverpool have knocked out Chelsea and Barcelona. Had one of those gone on to win it, you probably wouldn't be making this complaint.

And let's say the competition returned to league champions-only entry. If United pip Chelsea for the league title by a point, suggesting two very closely matched teams, would it not be devaluing the competition to lose a team of the quality of Chelsea (or vice versa), thus giving a team from a weaker league an increased chance of winning it?

To use an example closer to home, Dublin had a relatively handy passage to the All Ireland semi-final last year. Say they had beaten Mayo (a mere two point swing) in the semi, and caught Kerry on the hop in the final. Would the All Ireland championship thus be deemed a devalued competition?

Fair enough, i just think that if you had the top 20 clubs in Europe competing in a 38 games season, that the title "champions of Europe" as a title could be much more justified and from what little i know, i doubt Liverpool would be contenders for such a title.
In most other sports, the cream tends to rise more in the premier competition be it due to the structure of the competition or the nature of the sport.
Pardon my ignorance, but would Premier League clubs prefer to win the champions league or the Premier League. .... innocent question for fear that the answer is obviously the latter

The superleague thing will never happen. The Champions League evolved from the old Champions Cup to fill that gap and allow the top European clubs to play each other with more regularity.

Not sure I agree entirely about the other sports either. The big Americans sports have a post-season knock-out competition to find a champion. The so-called best team may not always win that. In golf, the majors are the biggest prizes, but you often get a relative unknown or a journeyman who hits form winning them. But it probably varies from sport to sport.

As to the question of whether clubs would prefer to win the premier league or the champions league, I think the two competitions are seen as the two major prizes that must both be won. Neither Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger or Jose Mourinho were/are satisfied with winning just the premier league. Ferguson has often spoken of his wish to win the champions league for a second time before he retires. Rafa may well add a second champions league this season, but if he doesn't build a team to challenge and win the premier league over the next few seasons, his will not be seen as a completely successful spell in charge. If he does win it in Athens, the longing for a premier league on the part of the fans and the club will probably just increase, as he will have proven to be a master of one competition, but not yet the other.

J70

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 01, 2007, 11:37:32 PM
Quote from: bingobus on May 01, 2007, 11:35:08 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on April 26, 2007, 04:17:05 PM

;D

Internet Message board premature ejaculation   ;D  ;D

I did warn Norf Tyrone but would he listen to me?

Nooooo. ;D

That has to be up there with some of Fearon's best Spurs threads.

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on May 01, 2007, 11:55:19 PM
No sign of Syd tonight lads he must be on the porter :)
My heart is still racing i'll never get to sleep tonight

There wasnt a drop passed my lips, was training last night so missed the 1st half. I had a mate of mine who is a United fan on the phone while the penalty shootout was taking place, made it even more enjoyable. Dont know if the nerves will stick a final against that other shower. Hopefully Milan do the business tonight......
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

Declan

Liverpool deserved to win last night but wasn't a great game for the nuetral to watch. Very disappointed in Chelsea's attempts at getting back in the game. Route One stuff the whole time. Agree re the penos and Dunphy called them perfectly.

It would be a great finale to the season if Utd get through tonight to face Liverpool and I'd have thought that all Liverpool anfd Utd fans would want it to happen. The only possible bigger final would be Real v Barca   

An Lark

One thing that struck me last night watching - how can Liverpool leave Anfield?

History, tradition, atmosphere. What a place.

full back

Congratulations last night lads, a deserved victory.
How Mourinho can say that Chelsea were the best team with a straight face is beyond me especially as Kuyt hit the bar & had a goal ruled out.
Thought Chelsea were incredibly disappointing. Even after spending millions & millions they still launch the ball upfield at every opportunity-route one stuff a la Wimbledon or more recently Bolton, although Fat Sam did this at a fraction of the cost.
Mind you how is Zenden staying on that team? Granted he scored the penalty, but f**king hell he has no pace and his crossing is terrible. Although to be fair in 2005 when the Scousers won there was a few passengers (Djimi Djimi).
Roll on tonight and hopefully the dream final ;)