The OFFICIAL Liverpool Supporters thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Blessed at the end to hang on and there was absolutely no need for it. First half was quite good, but I definitely thought Benitez blew it in the second half. Going with one up front was absolutely begging Rijkaard to take off a defender and go with 4 up top. When the four are Messi, Giuli, Ronaldinho and Gudjohnsen, there's always a likelihood that they will score, especially when the ball comes back as quick as Liverpool were clearing it because there was no one up front to hold it up.

Great performances from Finnan, Carra and Agger, and good displays from Sissoko (without the ball!) and Gerrard at times. Riise was also one of our better players.

I am a little concerned about the direction LFC are taking though. One of Bob Paisley's truisms was to 'take care of the little things and the big things will take care of themselves'. He meant that if you put in the hard work, and pass the ball and move to get the return pass, the results will look after themselves. And if the results look after themselves, the titles and trophies follow.

Liverpool do not seem to have moved on much *with the ball* in the past 5 years or so. Very rarely do you see concentrated possession in European games against the best teams, which always leads to pressure coming back on us. Paisley would be turning in his grave at some of the 'passing' that LFC engage in in these games. It's just a credit to the team's fighting spirit and workrate that this carelessness does not cost them dearly every time they play. That game should have been all over at half time, not only with the chances they missed, but if LFC passed the ball correctly, that Barca back line would have crumbled.

However, not to be too negative on the night, it's a great, great result over the two legs, and a massive scalp to take, notwithstanding Barca's current problems, so well done to Rafa and the lads, but improvement is needed.

Also, I think LFC should break the bank to get Villa, Eto'o, Torres or someone like that. Even playing the way they are, they are making chances, and they have got to take them to win games, points and titles.

The Real Laoislad

phewwwwwwwwwwwwwww just changed my boxers!!!!!!!

Great too be through we deserved it over the two legs.Dunphy and co must have been watching a different game we should have been 3 or 4 up at half time and could have got two in the second
We done enough to get through and i reckon if United do the same tomorrow night Dunphy will say their class
What did he expect Liverpool couldn't keep up that pace for the whole match and it would have been foolish to keep chasing it when we didn't need too.Would Dunphy think it be better if we had attacked the whole game and lost 4-0 than to be a bit more defensive in the second half and be through to the next round
Great preformances from Carragher,Finnan and Gerrard and many others
Delighted but bit worried we have created so many chances the last two games but didn't score
You'll Never Walk Alone.

The Real Laoislad

Is the draw on friday a open draw or seeded? Good chance that Liverpool,Celtic,Man U,Chelsea and Arsenal will all be in it that would be something else..
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Norf Tyrone

Only seen snippets of the Liverpool game out of the corner of my eye in the pub, but yousons looked well in control in the first half, and should've been 2,3 up. Good result over the 2 legs though.

QuoteIs the draw on friday a open draw or seeded? Good chance that Liverpool,Celtic,Man U,Chelsea and Arsenal will all be in it that would be something else..

Open draw, no country protection or nothing. I have a feeling it'll be your good selfs Chelsea will face, however at this stage I'd prefer Valencia, or Lille.....anyone will do though.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Timothy Leary

I've preface this by saying that I don't follow any team in England or anywhere else, although I  always like to see all the English teams winning in Europe. I watched the second half last night and forgetting about the football, I thought the crowd were magnificent, great atmosphere, and the flag and scarf waving at the end was a great spectacle. This never seems to happen at Man Utd, Chelsea or Arsenal games, I'm just wondering why?

BTW was that the fields of Athenry the fans were singing or were they changing the Athenry bit, I just couldn't make it out?

full back

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 06, 2007, 10:03:33 PM
Dunphy can go and fcuk off - it it had have been United and his "beloved" Roy doing that tonight - he'd be all different

To be fair, he has be slabbering of about Utd as well in recent times, so dont go thinking it is just the 'Pool getting the sh1t.

I noticed that as well last about the Fields Of Athenry, the supporters seemed to be changing certain parts of it  ???

Over the Bar

Would you like the loan of John O'Shea to put the ball in the net for you? :P

deiseach

I haven't lost my bottle so badly at a match since the Worthington Cup final in Cardiff against the Mancs. I could barely stand for the first twenty minutes of the second half, I was so nervous. Still, it was all worth it for the moment right at the end when Pennant earned a free right under the Kop. We all realised any free here was going to soak up at least thirty seconds so it was effectively game over and the ground just erupted. Then it was over. Fantastic.

Declan

It was like watching Ireland during the Charlton era again. Great without the ball but couldn't pass water. Whats happened to Alonso?

Syd The Sailor

Quote from: full back on March 07, 2007, 08:14:43 AM
Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on March 06, 2007, 10:03:33 PM
Dunphy can go and fcuk off - it it had have been United and his "beloved" Roy doing that tonight - he'd be all different

To be fair, he has be slabbering of about Utd as well in recent times, so dont go thinking it is just the 'Pool getting the sh1t.

I noticed that as well last about the Fields Of Athenry, the supporters seemed to be changing certain parts of it  ???

Its the "Fields of Anfield Road" they sing, not Athenry.....
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

SuperDooperCooper

RTE panel sicken me to be honest. Liverpool murdered Barca in the first half, very unlucky not to be 2-3 up. Picked up a few booking (deserved) but Barca not picking up booking for the same fouls. Thurman should have walked for the elbow in the second half. Liverpool had all the chances yet at the end you swear Barca were unlucky to lose listening to those moppets. RTE is MUTV2, they always show that useless shower no matter who they are playing (game v Lille tonight for example, tie is over and not to show the Arsenal game is shocking).
If Man U has Keane playing and put in the same performance last night, Dunphy, Brady and Giles would have had multiple orgasms in the studio.
Barca are European champions, Spanish champions and joint top of La Liga they were bound to have chances last night yet I can only remember three chances for them, the goal (Pennant (who had a mare when on) slipped to let Eider in, Ronnie's shot after the goal and Ronnie's shot off the post.
We were very nervy after the goal but in the last 8 minutes (85-93) the ball was in the Barca half and we were still creating chances... Would have preferred pennant to go to the corner and waste time rather than put in crossed in the end of the game.
Kuyt was a disappointment against last night doesn't seem to have the pace/vision for this level will have to spend the dollars in the summer to get two top class strikers, Bellamy was good again last night and shouldn't have been taken off. Finnan, Agger and Cara were outstanding....

Fr Ted

Bless me father for i am about to sin, but thank christ thats over,

Another famous result over the two legs to take the scalp of Barca.  After the comments made by the Utd fan club on RTE during the last game i watched the game on ITV, flicked over at half time and heard the same shite over again, don't think i'll watch anymore CL games on RTE when the pool are involved.

The pool really need and goal getter, i don't agree with the comments about Kuyt, though he worked very hard for the team although at times he was very deep.

I was a bit confused with the Subs, as i feel they actually made the team weaker and encouraged barca to come on to us, but as i said before in rafa we trust, he is the man

Syd The Sailor

I know everyone has been talking about Carraghers performance this season, and rightly so, but i think Agger is turning out to be a great buy. He was immense again last night.
"I coulda been a contender.....i could've been somebody"

Rossie11

Great to be in next round but it was nervy. Pool seemed to run out of gas. With all the chances they missed
they looked like they would get caught.

To be fair to RTE pundits they are football fans firstly. They like to see flowing football.
I think they were frustrated that a team playing like liverpool can knock out a team who try and play the "correct" way.

Hand on heart I would prefer see Liverpool play completely different than they way they are.
Its good to win and qualify but its not pretty.
If the end justifys the means then fair enough but its not the way I would like to see football/liverpool continue to develope.

magpie seanie

QuoteNo credit whatsoever for comfortably beating the reigning champions over two legs.

I didn't see the game but you could hardly describe an away goals win as comfortable! Also, the reported criticism by Giles, Dunphy and co seems to be valid from some of the comments here. They aren't often wrong. If you want cheerleaders switch over to SKY or ITV or BBC.

If United go through Liverpool would be a nightmare draw all the same.