The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

Would Joe diGenova need to purchase one of those pardons or has that kind of stuff become normalised by Trump? The final cancel.

J70

The pardon thing is abused by both parties, albeit rarely in the manner Trump has done, where he has dangled it in front of would-be witnesses to investigations of himself to persuade them not to cooperate.

Usually its simply someone connected through fundraising or other political connection who gets the benefit.

I've no issue with the principle of granting the power to pardon to the president, but there needs to be some kind of independent, or at least bipartisan, oversight. If someone gets done by a miscarriage of justice, then by all means pardon them. Or do what Ford did with Nixon, where he pardoned him to basically allow the country to move on i.e. there was an arguable greater good involved.

But self-interested pardons, whether financial, political or (in the case of Trump), possibly criminal, should absolutely not be allowed.

Main Street

These days i'm gettting my kicks from Fox News.
On Fox News the least likely question asked after some contributer makes a wild statement  is "do you have any evidence to suport that statement?". But I nearly fell off my chair when some English twat named Steve on Outnumbered (4 females one guy)  was  asked for evidence to support his claim that the news of the pfizer vaccine was deliberately delayed until the day after the election. He replied that he could think of no other good reason why it was 'delayed'.  Apparantly that passes muster as evidence with flying colours on Fox.

Gabriel_Hurl

Steve Hilton I'm guessing? He was the "Dominic Cummings" to David Cameron

Main Street

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on December 02, 2020, 06:02:49 PM
Steve Hilton I'm guessing? He was the "Dominic Cummings" to David Cameron
That's the name.

dec

Trump has just released a 46 minute speech repeating all the bullshit that twitter, parler and his legal team have been spouting over the last month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=720O_yBLrTs

J70

The Kraken attorneys today calling for Georgia Republican voters to boycott the upcoming Senate elections! Can't trust those Venezuelan-Chinese Dominion voting machines and bought-off arch-conservative GOP politicians!   :o ;D

Yes, Trump morons, please do exactly that! The country could use a few Democratic judges and some common sense legislation which a Democratic Senate would grant us! 8)

Eamonnca1

Dear Trumpers. Write in candidate "Donald Trump" for both Georgia senate seats!

sid waddell

Biden now over seven million votes ahead

That's a fairly thumping victory

Eamonnca1

Ossoff and Warnock looking good in Georgia. We might take the Senate and get this Supreme Court expanded yet!

Gmac

Joe broke his foot chasing a puppy around naked after a shower ? Hopefully that's just a joe gaffe

omochain

Quote from: Gmac on December 04, 2020, 08:42:40 PM
Joe broke his foot chasing a puppy around naked after a shower ? Hopefully that's just a joe gaffe

Go back to bed and sleep it off

HiMucker

Gmac

Quote from: omochain on December 05, 2020, 12:34:51 AM

Go back to bed and sleep it off
You won't last long in sf Bay Area if you are too fond of the bed toy maker .

Main Street

While the Trump legal campaign losing streak continues unabated, Reuters publish registered figures that the steal conspiracy  campaign has been very successful in scamming over $200m from republicans, but has only spent $9m. That expenditure includes $2m in a sms grift, targetting mugs (aka republicans supporters). Another expense was $3m in Georgia to cover the recount cost which resulted in 87 extra votes for Joe and Kamala. That's about $34,000 per vote.

https://www.reuters.com/article/usa-election-trump-expenses/trump-campaign-spent-more-than-2-million-on-election-lawyers-including-jenna-ellis-idUSKBN28E2VG