Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

Yea doing it. Ran 13 miles last week as a test, so have hit the target. Longest run i have done. Has took me a year to get to this point.

trueblue1234

Am signed up but did the Bundoran 10 mile last weekend and having trouble with glute and lower back. Haven't been able to run since. Any one ever have problem with their Sacroiliac joints? From some light reading think this might be the issue. Need to get it looked at but struggling to get time.
Q
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

laoislad

Quote from: Hereiam on March 18, 2019, 02:26:18 PM
Yea doing it. Ran 13 miles last week as a test, so have hit the target. Longest run i have done. Has took me a year to get to this point.
Fair play,  great progress. Oh and once you can run a half you can run a full...!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Linkbox

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 18, 2019, 03:57:09 PM
Am signed up but did the Bundoran 10 mile last weekend and having trouble with glute and lower back. Haven't been able to run since. Any one ever have problem with their Sacroiliac joints? From some light reading think this might be the issue. Need to get it looked at but struggling to get time.
Q

Nothing worse than niggling injuries that screw up your training block. I've really struggled over the past few months with a combination of things. The physio will see point you in the right direction but working on some fundamentals will do you no harm. I've been following these guys on Instagram for a while and they post some great stretches for hips, lower back etc. Getting as much flexibility in those areas as possible will help you a lot.

https://www.instagram.com/brian_movement101/?hl=en

This guy also does a lot of focused exercises that should help you.

https://www.instagram.com/dr.giardina.dpt/

This one being specific to your injury.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BuJuOpnh8jS/

Good luck!

trueblue1234

Quote from: Linkbox on March 18, 2019, 10:10:16 PM
Q

Nothing worse than niggling injuries that screw up your training block. I've really struggled over the past few months with a combination of things. The physio will see point you in the right direction but working on some fundamentals will do you no harm. I've been following these guys on Instagram for a while and they post some great stretches for hips, lower back etc. Getting as much flexibility in those areas as possible will help you a lot.

Good luck!

Cheers for that. Have to try and get seen this week. Have only been running since Jan and never had a injury until the week before the Bundoran run, I had a slight twinge in the left calf. So rested it all week and rolled away. But felt it at about 8 miles in the run and think I was trying to carry it and now have screwed up my whole left side. From lower back, down into my glute and hamstring. Nightmare.

Have stayed off it since the run but the half is in 3 weeks so gutted that I can't do anything. If's it's not right by next week I may pull the plug for the half.

Hereiam

2 weeks to go until my first half marathon and the inevitable has happened, went out yesterday to do 10 mile and got to 7 mile and had to stop with the pain in the front of my left hip. Checked online and it looks like my hip flexor is playing up, it is sore today when i walk or go to get up from the chair, I take it all i can do is rest it and stretch it. What would be safe miles to do in the next 2 weeks to get me over the finish line.

lurganblue

Quote from: Hereiam on March 25, 2019, 10:05:48 AM
2 weeks to go until my first half marathon and the inevitable has happened, went out yesterday to do 10 mile and got to 7 mile and had to stop with the pain in the front of my left hip. Checked online and it looks like my hip flexor is playing up, it is sore today when i walk or go to get up from the chair, I take it all i can do is rest it and stretch it. What would be safe miles to do in the next 2 weeks to get me over the finish line.

2 weeks training left. I'm sure you are well capable of the distance at this stage? might be an idea to rest for the 2 weeks. Maybe even get a bit of physio in.

ballinaman

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 19, 2019, 09:07:16 AM
Quote from: Linkbox on March 18, 2019, 10:10:16 PM
Q

Good luck!

Cheers for that. Have to try and get seen this week. Have only been running since Jan and never had a injury until the week before the Bundoran run, I had a slight twinge in the left calf. So rested it all week and rolled away. But felt it at about 8 miles in the run and think I was trying to carry it and now have screwed up my whole left side. From lower back, down into my glute and hamstring. Nightmare.

Have stayed off it since the run but the half is in 3 weeks so gutted that I can't do anything. If's it's not right by next week I may pull the plug for the half.
How's it now? How far can you go with tolerable level of discomfort...keep at that distance / pace and get it looked at by a professional.
Wild weather that day in bundoran , last mile was crazy.

trueblue1234

Yeah brutal day. Coming in by the beach at the end was cruel way to finish. Blinded by sand!! But was happy enough. First run and was about 1 hr 17. So was happy enough.
Was at physio at the start of the week and apparently my glute is really weak in the left side. So gave me exercises for that, that I've been working on. He advised to stay of the running for a week just in case, as I strengthen it up as it was still fairly tender. But said a week could make a good improvement and should be able to ease myself back into some running then. Frustrating now but chomping to get back running again so would rather take my time as I'm not rushing back for any run in particular now that I've missed the Omagh half.       

ballinaman

Quote from: trueblue1234 on March 27, 2019, 12:55:28 PM
Yeah brutal day. Coming in by the beach at the end was cruel way to finish. Blinded by sand!! But was happy enough. First run and was about 1 hr 17. So was happy enough.
Was at physio at the start of the week and apparently my glute is really weak in the left side. So gave me exercises for that, that I've been working on. He advised to stay of the running for a week just in case, as I strengthen it up as it was still fairly tender. But said a week could make a good improvement and should be able to ease myself back into some running then. Frustrating now but chomping to get back running again so would rather take my time as I'm not rushing back for any run in particular now that I've missed the Omagh half.     
Ya, mental stuff. Prefer no wind than to have it against you and behind you....

I'd recommend doing a small bit or any type of aerobic acivity after a couple of days rest when things have settled down. Niggles are part of the game unfortunately, everything will be sound and you'll be stronger for it.

laoislad

Have you a Marathon coming up ballinaman? You're putting in some miles on Strava.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on March 27, 2019, 01:04:00 PM
Have you a Marathon coming up ballinaman? You're putting in some miles on Strava.
Manchester 7th April...doing a bit alright , looking forward to it.

laoislad

Quote from: ballinaman on March 27, 2019, 03:10:58 PM
Well done today, great running.

ballinaman

Quote from: laoislad on April 07, 2019, 04:49:41 PM
Cheers chief , walked a tightrope last 2 mile as to be expected but got the job done. !

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on April 07, 2019, 07:22:45 PM
Quote from: laoislad on April 07, 2019, 04:49:41 PM
Cheers chief , walked a tightrope last 2 mile as to be expected but got the job done. !

What a run! Congrats.