China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Watching on sky one, Coronavirus, in the red zone.

Horrific
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

High Fielder

Maybe one good thing to come from this is the spotlight being shone on overpaid footballers. I have never been happy with these super earners and their disproportionate wealth. The figures in more recent years have got crazy. They're at home now like the rest of us, and still raking in the dough while the rest of the world takes a hit. It has become a fantasy world that bears no resemblance to reality, and hopefully now, clubs can use a clause to put some manners on this market. There's being well paid and wealth, and then there's Ronaldo, Messi and so many more of them. Obscene.

trileacman

Quote from: hardstation on April 02, 2020, 10:51:26 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 02, 2020, 10:48:27 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 02, 2020, 10:38:49 PM
Does every pupil have access to a computer at home? The internet?

Are they expected to be able to learn from home? When was this explained to them? Have they had any experience of this previously? Have they had adequate training on it? Have teachers been given adequate training on teaching remotely? Are they able to cater for all learners? Special Educational Needs pupils with entitlement to Classroom Assistants?

It is simply wrong. It is heaping added pressure on young people in what is already an anxious time for them.

So what  is the solution? Some test done last year which the student never expected to count for anything? That doesn't pressume people?
The "solution" is certainly not to throw them to the lions unprepared. There isn't a perfect solution but it should be a long time before that one is considered. FWIW, their teachers have a fair idea of where each pupil would be scoring in the test had it run its course. Again, it's not a perfect solution to give predicted grades and there will be inaccuracies. For me, all things considered, it beats the hell out of throwing them in unprepared.
The gov have fairly dragged their feet here too.

I don't see a good alternative. The other option is to have no LC. With no LC I don't see how you can grade students fairly.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

JimStynes

Quote from: High Fielder on April 03, 2020, 06:13:48 AM
Maybe one good thing to come from this is the spotlight being shone on overpaid footballers. I have never been happy with these super earners and their disproportionate wealth. The figures in more recent years have got crazy. They're at home now like the rest of us, and still raking in the dough while the rest of the world takes a hit. It has become a fantasy world that bears no resemblance to reality, and hopefully now, clubs can use a clause to put some manners on this market. There's being well paid and wealth, and then there's Ronaldo, Messi and so many more of them. Obscene.

To be fair to the footballers. It's not their fault that clubs are willing to pay that amount. The Ronaldos and all aren't the ones who I even care about the obscene amounts as they're the best in the world. It's the Alexis Sanchez type player, getting 500k a week and him completely dung. Again not his fault he's getting paid that amount but the leagues need to bring in a salary cap of some sort. It's crazy thinking of the nurses in ICU getting paid buttons compared to people playing football.

JimStynes

Quote from: hardstation on April 03, 2020, 08:41:17 AM
Quote from: trileacman on April 03, 2020, 07:57:01 AM
Quote from: hardstation on April 02, 2020, 10:51:26 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 02, 2020, 10:48:27 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 02, 2020, 10:38:49 PM
Does every pupil have access to a computer at home? The internet?

Are they expected to be able to learn from home? When was this explained to them? Have they had any experience of this previously? Have they had adequate training on it? Have teachers been given adequate training on teaching remotely? Are they able to cater for all learners? Special Educational Needs pupils with entitlement to Classroom Assistants?

It is simply wrong. It is heaping added pressure on young people in what is already an anxious time for them.

So what  is the solution? Some test done last year which the student never expected to count for anything? That doesn't pressume people?
The "solution" is certainly not to throw them to the lions unprepared. There isn't a perfect solution but it should be a long time before that one is considered. FWIW, their teachers have a fair idea of where each pupil would be scoring in the test had it run its course. Again, it's not a perfect solution to give predicted grades and there will be inaccuracies. For me, all things considered, it beats the hell out of throwing them in unprepared.
The gov have fairly dragged their feet here too.

I don't see a good alternative. The other option is to have no LC. With no LC I don't see how you can grade students fairly.
I can't see how grading them on the LC could possibly give a fair result. They won't have been in school for months!
Making them sit the LC in these circumstances is completely inconsiderate. It is a stressful time for young people on a normal year. This will have a serious effect on the mental health of these kids.
So, when we are talking about what is "fair", I cannot see how making them sit the LC in these circumstances could ever be seen as fair. It is anything but.

Totally agree HS. Surely they won't go through with this. It's playing a championship final and telling the lads to just do their own stuff for a few months before it and see how you get on.

Mike Tyson

Quote from: JimStynes on April 03, 2020, 08:00:40 AM

To be fair to the footballers. It's not their fault that clubs are willing to pay that amount. The Ronaldos and all aren't the ones who I even care about the obscene amounts as they're the best in the world. It's the Alexis Sanchez type player, getting 500k a week and him completely dung. Again not his fault he's getting paid that amount but the leagues need to bring in a salary cap of some sort. It's crazy thinking of the nurses in ICU getting paid buttons compared to people playing football.

Footballers are the easy target, although I do agree salaries are a joke. I'd wager the vast majority get their salaries through PAYE and so contribute plenty in tax & NI.

No mention from Hancock of the tax avoiding billionaire donors to the Conservative's having to pay their fair share? No mention of Branson & Stelios Haji-Ioannou calling for bailouts from the govt after extracting billions from their companies?

The top hedge fund managers, bankers, barristers, private doctors and pharma execs aren't asked to contribute more so why should footballers?

ONeill

Southerners wouldn't be as smart as us up here so I reckon LC would be a doddle.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ned

Quote from: Mike Tyson on April 03, 2020, 09:00:28 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on April 03, 2020, 08:00:40 AM

Footballers are the easy target, although I do agree salaries are a joke. I'd wager the vast majority get their salaries through PAYE and so contribute plenty in tax & NI.

No mention from Hancock of the tax avoiding billionaire donors to the Conservative's having to pay their fair share? No mention of Branson & Stelios Haji-Ioannou calling for bailouts from the govt after extracting billions from their companies?

The top hedge fund managers, bankers, barristers, private doctors and pharma execs aren't asked to contribute more so why should footballers?

Footballers are an easy target. Football is an entertainment business and they are paid the market rate. What about actors, musicians?
Are charity bosses or hedge fund bosses or bankers worth what they are paid? We are seeing what services are vital to our lives just now. So should a binman be paid twice as much as a hairdresser? But I would agree a lot of NHS staff are underpaid and underappreciated.

Milltown Row2

At the minute the lowest paid workers in the health service are the ones at most risk, your cleaners, god help them.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

the goal was on

For someone who avoided taking the health remit at all costs she fairly want to get her bake involved now. We need someone with solutions rather than blame blame blame. More testing - tell us how, tell us where u propose to get them, who we can work with to develop them. More PPE - Again tell us the current numbers, where the gaps are, orders currently made and quantity, where you aim to distribute them, How you may be able to source more. We are competing USA among others for this stuff so tell us how you are getting ahead of the game. Easy game O Neill is playing IMO. Get to work and each day tell us what u have done.This is what most countries doin there daily briefings not tel lus all the problems

square_ball

Quote from: the goal was on on April 03, 2020, 10:25:38 AM
For someone who avoided taking the health remit at all costs she fairly want to get her bake involved now. We need someone with solutions rather than blame blame blame. More testing - tell us how, tell us where u propose to get them, who we can work with to develop them. More PPE - Again tell us the current numbers, where the gaps are, orders currently made and quantity, where you aim to distribute them, How you may be able to source more. We are competing USA among others for this stuff so tell us how you are getting ahead of the game. Easy game O Neill is playing IMO. Get to work and each day tell us what u have done.This is what most countries doin there daily briefings not tel lus all the problems

Exactly. I believe she is making valid points but she loses credibility when she isn't offering solutions. If everything was so easy why didn't Sinn Fein take the Health post when it was on offer?

johnnycool

Quote from: square_ball on April 03, 2020, 10:31:20 AM

Exactly. I believe she is making valid points but she loses credibility when she isn't offering solutions. If everything was so easy why didn't Sinn Fein take the Health post when it was on offer?

I'd say both the DUP and SF have questions to answer there alright but remember Swann stood down from the UUP leadership to spend more time with his young family and then a few months later he takes up the Health ministers role which is probably the biggest role in Stormont.

Michelle isn't wrong but the frustration from seeing the DUP/UUP/Alliance/SDLP blindly following the now ridiculed London based strategy must have boiled over and she shouldn't be so frank on TV and keep a lid on it.

Itchy

Quote from: ONeill on April 03, 2020, 09:33:51 AM
Southerners wouldn't be as smart as us up here so I reckon LC would be a doddle.

How many subjects do you take in the Northern version of Leaving Cert?

Will it ever end

Totally agree with this

imtommygunn

Quote from: johnnycool on April 03, 2020, 10:48:16 AM

I'd say both the DUP and SF have questions to answer there alright but remember Swann stood down from the UUP leadership to spend more time with his young family and then a few months later he takes up the Health ministers role which is probably the biggest role in Stormont.

Michelle isn't wrong but the frustration from seeing the DUP/UUP/Alliance/SDLP blindly following the now ridiculed London based strategy must have boiled over and she shouldn't be so frank on TV and keep a lid on it.

Yeah I don't think she keeps her cool sometimes but she is bang on and that is from someone who is not a big fan of hers. I would rather she says shit now than at some inquiry after the fact when it's too late for a lot of people :(