Previous topic - Next topic

?

?
62 (89.9%)
?
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Applesisapples

In Europe any Celtic manager is on a hiding to nothing, fans expect La Liga performances from SPL players...unrealistic.

T Fearon

The fans are realistic.They don't expect to win the Champions League (though they didn't expect to win it in 1967 either).However they do expect their team to be competitive and not humiliated by any opposition.I think with the current set up,the majority of fans would be satisfied with a third place group finish,second place and last 16 would be a welcome bonus.

yellowcard

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 11, 2017, 12:53:22 PM
In Europe any Celtic manager is on a hiding to nothing, fans expect La Liga performances from SPL players...unrealistic.

I actually think most fans are fairly realistic. If they can get into the group stages each year then that is more than acceptable. It gives the chance to play 6 games against top European sides and as long as the games are competitive and they can produce a few big results then that is enough. Anything above that is a bonus.

Coutinho is a player that Rodgers bought for £8m and who is now on the verge of a £90m+ deal to Barca so there is nothing wrong with his ability to spot a player. 

tonto1888

Quote from: T Fearon on August 11, 2017, 01:05:29 PM
The fans are realistic.They don't expect to win the Champions League (though they didn't expect to win it in 1967 either).However they do expect their team to be competitive and not humiliated by any opposition.I think with the current set up,the majority of fans would be satisfied with a third place group finish,second place and last 16 would be a welcome bonus.

Why is it you thdon't no we should be competitive against teams with more resources than us but completely discount the ability of other Scottish teams to be competitive against us

Milltown Row2

Easier to win it then as it was knockout games with less games also?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

From the Bunker

Third place at least means competitive games after Christmas. The boredom will set in this season, As going the season undefeated has been done and to done it again would have less gloss. So a few rounds of Europa League would be welcome.

ned

Quote from: yellowcard on August 11, 2017, 09:46:12 AM
Quote from: ned on August 10, 2017, 06:39:04 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 10, 2017, 06:21:35 PM
I think Rodgers undoubtedly has a certain smugness bordering on arrogance. He is not alone in having that, many of the top managers are the same. That said, I think he is an excellent coach and plays the game the right way. Tactically is where I think his weakness lies, which sometimes surfaces in big one off cup ties. I hope that changes this season and he can get the team into the group stages, be competitive and at least try and challenge for a Europa League spot. Just some small sign of progress in European terms. The higher the co-efficient is then the higher the seeding will be for the following season, the easier the draw becomes etc etc.

Not sure about your comments regarding his tactical weakness. Several times last year he changed tactics mid game or earlier because things weren't going well. I think he sees the game very clearly and acts quickly to remedy problems. Also think you are confusing smugness with confidence. Arrogant is not how I would describe him either, in fact I would say he is relatively modest. Mourihno is arrogant i.e. he is good, knows it and flaunts it.

Relatively modest? No, I'm not having that. I do agree though that the top managers need to have an absolute belief in their own ability otherwise they wouldn't be in the job for too long. Rodgers had a very poor European record when with Liverpool and whilst I thought he had a good European campaign last year with Celtic (Barca 7-0 defeat apart), I still think that he has a weakness in these big games in trying to go toe to toe with superior opponents when it would be more prudent to sit back knowing that he isn't playing the same SPL cannon fodder that he comes up against most weeks. I would love to see this change this season if they can get into the group stages and collect 7/8 points and outperform their probable 4th seeding. He has more experience this season and I think he needs to put more of a focus on the European games rather than the SPL.   

Agree to disagree on arrogance, smugness comment.
BR is trying to build for the future. Blood and snotters will get you the odd result like NL got against Barcelona. What we want as fans is constant performances, not one offs. If we start now and instill a way to play, as has already begun to be implemented, then that augurs well for the future. We want a team who can at least begin to match the technical ability of the better teams. We will never win the CL but qualifying from the groups or a decent run in the EL would be a start.

Targetman

Got the win tonight without playing that well, probably one eye on Wednesday's crucial qualifier, Bitton was lucky not to concede a penalty late on, I think he's dodgy enough at the back but seems like he's gonna be playing there until the injuries clear up, need to sort Armstrong's situation as well, not up to it at the minute.

ned

Quote from: Targetman on August 11, 2017, 10:32:31 PM
Got the win tonight without playing that well, probably one eye on Wednesday's crucial qualifier, Bitton was lucky not to concede a penalty late on, I think he's dodgy enough at the back but seems like he's gonna be playing there until the injuries clear up, need to sort Armstrong's situation as well, not up to it at the minute.

Summed up nicely. Bitton one was strange, seemed clumsy rather than anything else. Armstrong should be left out of squad until contract resolved, nearly cost us three times for the ten minutes he was on.

themac_23

would play Ajer at the back instead of Bitton personally, his laid back attitude isnt what you want to see from your CB especially when he doesnt have the ability to back it up

Applesisapples

Rodgers has to go unacceptable result! ;D

T Fearon

Brilliant result for Neil Lennon and his Hibs team at Ibrox today.Going to be massive game when he takes Hibs to Celtic Park.

clarshack

Quote from: T Fearon on August 12, 2017, 05:19:14 PM
Brilliant result for Neil Lennon and his Hibs team at Ibrox today.Going to be massive game when he takes Hibs to Celtic Park.

Great result for Hibs and Lennon. It's early days but Hibs are well capable of challenging Aberdeen for 2nd place.
Few ex Celts also on the Hibs team today - Ambrose, Stokes and McGeouch.

StGallsGAA

Quote from: clarshack on August 12, 2017, 07:23:52 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on August 12, 2017, 05:19:14 PM

Great result for Hibs and Lennon. It's early days but Hibs are well capable of challenging Aberdeen for 2nd place.
Few ex Celts also on the Hibs team today - Ambrose, Stokes and McGeouch.

You both strangely forgot to mention that Rangers played most of the game with 10 men!  ::)

Hectic

Just glad Neil went there, faced up to his haters and came away with a smile.