Armagh v Cavan (Sun - 02-06-19) Clones

Started by illdecide, May 27, 2019, 09:20:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David McKeown

Quote from: illdecide on June 09, 2019, 08:49:09 PM
Congrats Cavan and probably deserved. All the best in the final, would genuinely like to see Cavan beat Donegal...So Good luck.

Cavan were very economical today and i think they only had like 4 wides, I do believe Armagh had to work a bit harder for their free's today and there were two moments in the game where we should have had a free in front of the posts and didn't get it and Cavan went up the field and scored each time - McVeety is a class footballer and was a real thorn for us over the two games.
What next for KMcG? We had our chance the last day and bad tactics cost us the last day, he either doesn't play S Campbell or takes him off first sub in games and everyone can see that he's too good a footballer to be sitting on the bench I suppose we'll see how the rest of the season pans out with hopefully a bit of a run in the qualifiers, as someone said Armagh have some v good footballers and should be doing better...

Unfortunately we already know what's next for Geezer. Not good enough at this level but destined to stay in the job regardless as our chairman indicated before the Down game.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

tonto1888

Quote from: David McKeown on June 09, 2019, 08:58:17 PM
Congrats Cavan and probably deserved. All the best in the final, would genuinely like to see Cavan beat Donegal...So Good luck.

Cavan were very economical today and i think they only had like 4 wides, I do believe Armagh had to work a bit harder for their free's today and there were two moments in the game where we should have had a free in front of the posts and didn't get it and Cavan went up the field and scored each time - McVeety is a class footballer and was a real thorn for us over the two games.
What next for KMcG? We had our chance the last day and bad tactics cost us the last day, he either doesn't play S Campbell or takes him off first sub in games and everyone can see that he's too good a footballer to be sitting on the bench I suppose we'll see how the rest of the season pans out with hopefully a bit of a run in the qualifiers, as someone said Armagh have some v good footballers and should be doing better...

Unfortunately we already know what's next for Geezer. Not good enough at this level but destined to stay in the job regardless as our chairman indicated before the Down game.

Who is the alternative to him if he did go

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 09, 2019, 08:59:43 PM

It would be interesting to see what someone like Malachy O'Rourke could do with Armagh.

Who was the last outsider before Paddy O'Rourke in charge of Armagh?
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Champion The Wonder Horse

Quote from: Angelo on June 09, 2019, 09:08:59 PM

It would be interesting to see what someone like Malachy O'Rourke could do with Armagh.

Armagh wouldn't be the only county looking at malachy o'rourke when he leaves Monaghan.

Throw ball

Gerry O'Neill

trailer

He's not a miracle worker. 

Itchy

Super result for Cavan and the best team won out in the end. Credit Armagh for playing their part in a good attacking game of football, a real shoot out. Mcvetty hrs Clarke in terms of best scores was a tremendous contest. I thought it was refereed very well, very little off the ball antics and I wouldn't be surprised if the ref had words with teams before the start.

For us i thought mcvetty, moynagh and Clarke were outstanding. Why do Armagh not start Campbell, in full flight he's almost impossible to stop without fouling. I've said it for years, mcgeeney is a bullshit artist and ye would be better of without him.

The final we will be massive outsiders so pressure is off in some ways and lads should just give it a right go and see what happens.

LCohen

Would love to know what was worked on in respect of the Cavan kick outs. Unlike the last day we seemed to contest many of them and put Cavan under pressure. Others we let go and in the second half we would send a forward up to mark 2 Cavan receivers 30 yards apart. The forward would invariably look over his shoulder for a teammate to mark the other receiver but to no avail. What is going on here?

Westside

Great game. Nice to win a shootout and prove the quality in the team. Armagh were excellent and they have some fantastic individuals. I think we just had the edge in terms of quality and the team are a bit more seasoned.

For Cavan McVeety was immense. Killian Clarke, Moynagh and Rehill were also class. It's a good step forward and they can go into the final as massive underdogs with a puncher's chance.

illdecide

Tony Mac surely is the obvious choice...but as someone stated KMcG will be around for another few years yet...sure bring in another few boyo's from the 2002 team ::) as your backroom team and underage coaches
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Solo_run

Quote from: illdecide on June 09, 2019, 10:55:48 PM

Tony Mac surely is the obvious choice...but as someone stated KMcG will be around for another few years yet...sure bring in another few boyo's from the 2002 team ::) as your backroom team and underage coaches

A long shot but get both of the McEntee's in. 

Rufus T Firefly

Not a lot to say. The better team won but the six point winning margin flattered Cavan. And yet Armagh can look back on that game with a few 'what ifs'. The four goal chances would feature highly amongst them with the one missed by Jamie Clarke, in front of the the nets, being in the jaw dropping category. Some of Cavan's shooting in the second half was excellent, although the fact that they could move their men into comfortable shooting positions was as much to do with poor defence as it was attacking excellence. Our players in contrast were often forced to shoot under pressure, and the wides tally reflected that.

I'll be very interested to see how Cavan go in the final. Would love to see this sleeping giant awaken from a long slumber with an Ulster title. For ourselves, there are positives to take and with a bit of luck we might threaten an appearance in the Super 8s, although that is likely a long shot. One last thing - I think we need to scour the County for a top class free taker and stick him in nets. The difference in long range free taking alone was the bulk of that six point winning margin. 

balladmaker

A question for the Armagh management team ... if fully fit, how can you start or end a Championship game without Stefan Campbell on the field?

lurganblue

Our forwards didn't get going for 25 mins and in the end we did live to regret the missed goal opportunities.  I have to say I think McGeeney started the wrong team today.  Stefan Campbell has been messed about something shocking.

Grugan has received a bit of abuse over the past few weeks but I thought he played well when introduced.

We scored 17 points and left a few more out there. That's decent enough scoring in the end.  Our big problems still lie in looking suspect at the back.  We seemed to be a bit lost in coverage this week.  Perhaps this was down to the loss of Donaghy.

Anyway, good luck to Cavan in the final.  I'd give them every chance.  A very well drilled outfit. Quality kick-outs yesterday and their big players really stood up.

Applesisapples

Best team won. Not for the first time you wonder at how McGeeney picks teams, or what game he actually is watching. Armagh gifted Cavan possession from Cavan kick-outs with no strategy to effect turnovers, and no kick-out strategy of their own. Blaine Hughes coughed up at least one easy point and created the opportunity for other scores. As for Aidan Forker gave a way 4 points with needless turnovers in the first twenty minutes, but lasts 70, contrast McGeeney's decision-making with Cody in the Galway match. Regarding the Ref he was a model of inconsistency and let Cavan defence away with quite a bit particularly in the last 10 minutes. Cavan fans no doubt will have their own gripes with him.