Lurgan

Started by seafoid, March 02, 2017, 01:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armaghtothebone

Plenty of good reliable builders in Lurgan.
maybe a bullet dodged

Ambrose

People pay their hard earned money to live in Lurgan? A bullet dodged.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

tonto1888

Quote from: Ambrose on May 24, 2019, 09:16:00 PM
People pay their hard earned money to live in Lurgan? A bullet dodged.

No better place to live

playwiththewind1st

Was through it earlier. Thankfully, Dublin bound train didn't stop till Portadown.

whitey

I'm somewhat confused.....was the purchase (and price) of this house guaranteed by nothing more than a handshake and someone's word?

How did you get financing if a written contract was not in place?

smelmoth

Quote from: Rois on May 24, 2019, 04:16:09 PM
I was supposed to get the keys to my new house in Lurgan today.

The developer pulled out on Wednesday and is not going to sell us the house.  Our mortgage was drawn down and everything, we have furniture bought.

If any of you Lurgan ones know anyone buying a new-build house in or around Solitude/Kilmore Road, tell them to speak to me first about the developer.  Happy to spread the word about our horrific experience. 

Or if you know anyone selling a nice house in the area, let me know.  Need somewhere to live as I've paid the golf club fees for the year already...

I'm a bit confused here. You have a case against your solicitor for fraud.

It's commonplace these days to sign the contract on the day of exchange. That said your solicitor could only have got the money from the mortgage company by confirming clean title and execution of their mortgage charge. You cannot have clean title unless the vendor had clean title to pass and you have exchanged contracts with the vendor. Sue the solicitor

Looks like Farrell has exploited the gap the solicitor left open for them and now it's going to bite the solicitor in the bum. Who was the solicitor? If all that you say is correct then your case is watertight and you have nothing to fear. And you were happy to name the developer

Rois

Sue for what though? Disappointment? Title issues were dealt with to our solicitor's satisfaction and the contract was executed our end, but not by the vendor at the end of the day. The contract specified the price etc but we wouldn't sign until certain clauses were amended, the maps were corrected (they were wrong) etc. Our solicitor certainly acted in good faith and I do not blame them in any way or have any desire to sue them.

Just pointing out our experience, all factual. Just feeling sorry for myself,  and disappointed that the impending migration to Lurgan is now delayed.

naka

Quote from: Rois on May 25, 2019, 09:03:57 AM
Sue for what though? Disappointment? Title issues were dealt with to our solicitor's satisfaction and the contract was executed our end, but not by the vendor at the end of the day. The contract specified the price etc but we wouldn't sign until certain clauses were amended, the maps were corrected (they were wrong) etc. Our solicitor certainly acted in good faith and I do not blame them in any way or have any desire to sue them.

Just pointing out our experience, all factual. Not alleging any legal wrongdoing by the vendor. Just feeling sorry for myself,  and disappointed that the impending migration to Lurgan is now delayed.
Rois,
From experience  ( over 25 years 😉)in a development clause are non negotiable.
Normally if it's a new house you will have a building agreement and an agreement for lease with the deposit paid ( requirements to allow you to be confident you Re in a binding contract)
I find it strange that nothing was signed and you were proceeding to drawdown.
Questions should be asked as to how this happened.

Rois

Ah I hear what you are saying. This is probably a bit more nuanced. My OH worked in distressed banking for years and had previous knowledge of the developer. We agreed terms by email last year, including some specific variations, but we knew we weren't in a binding contract, which suited us too, given our suspicions. The contract that came through from them still needed amendment.

Our downfall was probably that we had too much direct contact with the developer, and assumed it would proceed from informality to formality at their word. I know this isn't standard, but I feel so aggrieved that they did not hold to their word, and given their solicitor was engaging right up to 2 days before planned completion, we had no reason to be suspicious.

Hopefully no one else has the same experience.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Rois on May 24, 2019, 04:23:40 PM
Nope, didn't sign anything, we were just going to exchange and complete on the same day.  I've a brother in law at the bar who advised me, he's done plenty of property work - we could give a partial completion argument a bit of a go, but unlikely to be successful, just wrack up costs.

We were never asked for a deposit (strange for a new-build) and it suited us as the OH was always suspicious.  We suspect it's mainly greed - there's a bit of momentum in the development and we struck a price last year so he probably thinks he can better it.

But to happen two days before we planned to move in is just cruel!  This company has plenty of houses to sell around Lurgan so just wanted to warn others.

Forget Lurgan, can't believe that you would even think of buying there.

Take your money, add a little more or downsize slightly and move the Moira/Magheralin and you have a village area with access to M1 and the train.  Belfast in 22 minutes by train from Moira.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Rois on May 25, 2019, 09:03:57 AM

Just pointing out our experience, all factual. Not alleging any legal wrongdoing by the vendor. Just feeling sorry for myself,  and disappointed that the impending migration to Lurgan is now delayed.

Take it as a sign and a lucky escape and get away from Lurgan as quick as possible. Shake the dust off you sandals and move on.

trailer

Crazy that you'd consider living in Lurgan voluntarily.
Never mind. What's for you won't go past you.

Eamonnca1

Could have been worse. He could have been thinking about living in Portadown.

general_lee

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on May 25, 2019, 03:32:17 PM
Quote from: Rois on May 24, 2019, 04:23:40 PM
Nope, didn't sign anything, we were just going to exchange and complete on the same day.  I've a brother in law at the bar who advised me, he's done plenty of property work - we could give a partial completion argument a bit of a go, but unlikely to be successful, just wrack up costs.

We were never asked for a deposit (strange for a new-build) and it suited us as the OH was always suspicious.  We suspect it's mainly greed - there's a bit of momentum in the development and we struck a price last year so he probably thinks he can better it.

But to happen two days before we planned to move in is just cruel!  This company has plenty of houses to sell around Lurgan so just wanted to warn others.

Forget Lurgan, can't believe that you would even think of buying there.

Take your money, add a little more or downsize slightly and move the Moira/Magheralin and you have a village area with access to M1 and the train.  Belfast in 22 minutes by train from Moira.
Ask the good folk in Moira about their rush hour traffic.. ask them how they enjoy standing for 20mins every morning on their 22 minute commute, that's if they can even get on the train that is... or if they can get parked in the morning...cos you know the station isn't actually in the village...

Seriously I know Lurgan gets a bad rep but it's not like it's Beirut. And the area Rois was moving to is really nice.