Gumshield / Mouth Guards

Started by Christmas Lights, January 21, 2014, 01:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christmas Lights

Whats everyone's opinion on the new Gumshield / Mouth Guard rule?

Personally I hate the thought of them as Ive never wore one in my life and just see them as more of an inconvenience as its one extra thing to remember to bring on match day.  Also, I'm going to assume they affect your breathing which at 30 years of age, I need all the oxygen in my lungs I can get when playing.   A mouth guard will surely limit my intake of glorious air resulting in a probable blackout mid match some time this year.

Rediculous rule IMO TBF 

johnneycool

Quote from: Christmas Lights on January 21, 2014, 01:56:26 PM
Whats everyone's opinion on the new Gumshield / Mouth Guard rule?

Personally I hate the thought of them as Ive never wore one in my life and just see them as more of an inconvenience as its one extra thing to remember to bring on match day.  Also, I'm going to assume they affect your breathing which at 30 years of age, I need all the oxygen in my lungs I can get when playing.   A mouth guard will surely limit my intake of glorious air resulting in a probable blackout mid match some time this year.

Rediculous rule IMO TBF

Get one with holes drilled in it FFS...

;)

smort

Same as christmas lights, never wore one before and slightly worried it will take a while to get accustomed to.

Do players have to go and get them done individually? You would think some entrepreneurial dentist out there could make a few bob going round clubs fitting them out.

shark

Quote from: smort on January 21, 2014, 03:42:46 PM
Same as christmas lights, never wore one before and slightly worried it will take a while to get accustomed to.

Do players have to go and get them done individually? You would think some entrepreneurial dentist out there could make a few bob going round clubs fitting them out.

Our club got a local dentist to come to training and fit us all for one. Group rate worked out at almost half price.  Dentist made gumshields the only way to go. 

smort

Quote from: shark on January 21, 2014, 03:49:45 PM
Quote from: smort on January 21, 2014, 03:42:46 PM

Our club got a local dentist to come to training and fit us all for one. Group rate worked out at almost half price.  Dentist made gumshields the only way to go.

Hope my club does something similar then. Don't really have much time to go to a dentist and get one fitted. A few boys in my club have been extolling the self-mould gumshields, but id rather get a properly fitted one.

bridgegael

i can imagine this happening somewhere. "anybody got an extra gumshield"  :P
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: bridgegael on January 21, 2014, 04:05:44 PM
i can imagine this happening somewhere everywhere. "anybody got an extra gumshield"  :P
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Christmas Lights

What happens if you dont wear one?

Sharing a gumshield, pretty damn gross  :-[

blewuporstuffed

A completely necessary rule change IMO and it is going to be very difficult for referees to enforce at club level.
I know quite a few players already wear them, but it certainly shouldn't be forced upon people, especially as they can be quite expensive.

I take it this is all down to an insurance issue??
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Under Lights

I think I read its a black card offence not to wear one.

Zulu

Not a black card offence but you can be ordered off if you refuse to wear one. Refs are not going to check on everyone though so you could potentially play a full game without one.

smort

got this from the gaa website

ROLE OF THE REFEREE
If a player refuses to comply with a Referee's instruction to wear a mouthguard, he will incur the penalty as outlined in (Rule 6.2, Rules of Foul Play, The Playing Rules of Football, Official Guide, Part 2, 2012) 'Caution the offender; order off if he persists'.

Christmas Lights

Quote from: smort on January 21, 2014, 04:38:23 PM

ROLE OF THE REFEREE
If a player refuses to comply with a Referee's instruction to wear a mouthguard, he will incur the penalty as outlined in (Rule 6.2, Rules of Foul Play, The Playing Rules of Football, Official Guide, Part 2, 2012) 'Caution the offender; order off if he persists'.

Order off if he persists??  If he doesnt have a mouthguard at the start of the game, hes not going to have one 20 minutes in so I guess the player is essentially sent off?

What if you forget to take it with you?  Does that mean you have to sit out the game?  Cant expect people to share gumshields FFS
Its a pathetic rule.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

smort

Quote from: Christmas Lights on January 21, 2014, 04:40:54 PM
Quote from: smort on January 21, 2014, 04:38:23 PM

ROLE OF THE REFEREE

Order off if he persists??  If he doesnt have a mouthguard at the start of the game, hes not going to have one 20 minutes in so I guess the player is essentially sent off?

What if you forget to take it with you?  Does that mean you have to sit out the game?  Cant expect people to share gumshields FFS
Its a pathetic rule.

Yes im thinking the same christmas lights. If a player has no gumshield or forgets it or something, then the manager will have to leave him out of the team. Crazy.