Started by wherefromreferee?, June 20, 2008, 08:49:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delgany

Quote from: marty34 on January 24, 2021, 01:33:12 PM
Quote from: delgany on January 24, 2021, 01:08:39 PM
Quote from: marty34 on January 24, 2021, 11:25:01 AM
Quote from: Kidder81 on January 24, 2021, 09:49:27 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on January 24, 2021, 09:38:41 AM
Even things like stationary is a 1/4 of the price in the local stationary shop. Whoever gets the contracts from the EA must be laughing

As I said Jim it's public service wide, you are paying for the service (over the odds as it is) as much as the actual work

How can that be justified?

EU competition directives

And after Brexit?

We are waiting with a bated breath.
Education Authority have been reviewing the maintenance contracts part for a year !

lfdown2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-55834042

Pupils in Northern Ireland are not set to return to school until Monday 8 March at the earliest.

Education Minister Peter Weir made the recommendation in a paper to be discussed by the executive on Thursday, BBC News NI understands.

It may also be the case that only some year groups go back to school on 8 March, if a return then is possible.

At what point does the year become a write-off, while we aren't so bad, (1 in P1) the wife is part time (and a qualifies secondary teacher) so just about manage to get through the weeks work - how do families with multiple kids and 2 parents in work, or a single working parent and no teaching ability manage? Those kids are severely disadvantaged, I can't help but think beyond the death toll this will be the biggest legacy of the pandemic.

johnnycool

Quote from: lfdown2 on January 28, 2021, 09:00:22 AM

Pupils in Northern Ireland are not set to return to school until Monday 8 March at the earliest.

Education Minister Peter Weir made the recommendation in a paper to be discussed by the executive on Thursday, BBC News NI understands.

It may also be the case that only some year groups go back to school on 8 March, if a return then is possible.

At what point does the year become a write-off, while we aren't so bad, (1 in P1) the wife is part time (and a qualifies secondary teacher) so just about manage to get through the weeks work - how do families with multiple kids and 2 parents in work, or a single working parent and no teaching ability manage? Those kids are severely disadvantaged, I can't help but think beyond the death toll this will be the biggest legacy of the pandemic.

I'd be friendly with a few primary school teachers, some principals, VP's and the likes and they all said the same things, that all the kids in primary school are almost a full year behind where they should be and believe that come August/September all Kids get held back a year to allow them to catch up.
Not sure of the practicalities of that but certainly the work my wee one whose P4 is just going over the same stuff she knows as how do you actually teach kids that young online or via teams.seesaw and the likes?

lfdown2

Same - not sure how it would work practically but it should be considered now as a plan B.

I would have said it is the early years kids that are missing the teacher contact most - I know with our wee one that it's as much as we can do to get her weekly worksheets completed and handed in, its less about teaching her and more about ticking the box - and as I say there are many more disadvantaged and in most instances through no fault of the parents/guardians who are trying to hold down a job at the same time. 

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: johnnycool on January 28, 2021, 09:08:25 AM

I'd be friendly with a few primary school teachers, some principals, VP's and the likes and they all said the same things, that all the kids in primary school are almost a full year behind where they should be and believe that come August/September all Kids get held back a year to allow them to catch up.
Not sure of the practicalities of that but certainly the work my wee one whose P4 is just going over the same stuff she knows as how do you actually teach kids that young online or via teams.seesaw and the likes?

Its defs having big impact, so much developmental  regression

marty34

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on January 28, 2021, 09:18:22 AM

But how can all this be measured?

As I stated before, my kids are enjoying 'being off'. Maybe they're too young to understand but they have each other for company for the social side, which is the most important.  For a single child family, that'll be very tough.

The kids do some work at home, bits and pieces but it's a battle but one thing they always do, is read at night.  This is very impprtant.  Parents, above all else, should be reading to (depending on child's age) or listen to their kids read at night for 10 mins.

This makes a huge difference if it's done night after night and it's so easy to do.  Just takes 10 mins out of schedule at night.  Not too much to ask.  Always gets them off to a happy sleep I think.

As an aside, just watched a bit of Nolan on tv last night and there was an 18 yr old lad on talking about isolating for a long time and the difficulties of that.  He made a point that he's worried he won't recognise his his friends' voices.  I was thinking not great 'friends' if this is the case - surely they should be ringing him or Zoom or whatever.

Taylor

Quote from: marty34 on January 28, 2021, 10:31:30 AM

As I stated before, my kids are enjoying 'being off'. Maybe they're too young to understand but they have each other for company for the social side, which is the most important.  For a single child family, that'll be very tough.

The kids do some work at home, bits and pieces but it's a battle but one thing they always do, is read at night.  This is very impprtant.  Parents, above all else, should be reading to (depending on child's age) or listen to their kids read at night for 10 mins.

This makes a huge difference if it's done night after night and it's so easy to do.  Just takes 10 mins out of schedule at night.  Not too much to ask.  Always gets them off to a happy sleep I think.

As an aside, just watched a bit of Nolan on tv last night and there was an 18 yr old lad on talking about isolating for a long time and the difficulties of that.  He made a point that he's worried he won't recognise his his friends' voices.  I was thinking not great 'friends' if this is the case - surely they should be ringing him or Zoom or whatever.

Sorry Marty - not being smart here - but is the kid blind that he is worried he wont recognise their voices?

johnnycool

Yeah, they're doing work but they're not learning any new stuff, that's the problem.

The teachers know how much of the syllabus they've covered with the kids when they were in school and know where they should be and two teachers doing hands on teaching (not principals) say that between losing from March 2020, large mid term breaks and now till at least March 2021 it's a full year behind...

Milltown Row2

Was waiting to get into the shop last night, girl in front of me was complaining (to me, a complete stranger) that the schools need to be open as her daughter can't do the 8 times tables, that she was shit at school and can't help her! Her mum was going to download tables and laminate them! WTF

Schools need to open up soon, this particular child won't miss out on a years worth of schooling, it will have a huge and wider impact on that girls life after school, I don't know what the answer is and how we have that safe schooling, but there are kids out there that never going to develop...

The same girl came out of the Offy with a bottle of vodka, home schooling or lack of is taking it toll on for some
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trailer

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 28, 2021, 11:28:21 AM
Was waiting to get into the shop last night, girl in front of me was complaining (to me, a complete stranger) that the schools need to be open as her daughter can't do the 8 times tables, that she was shit at school and can't help her! Her mum was going to download tables and laminate them! WTF

Schools need to open up soon, this particular child won't miss out on a years worth of schooling, it will have a huge and wider impact on that girls life after school, I don't know what the answer is and how we have that safe schooling, but there are kids out there that never going to develop...

The same girl came out of the Offy with a bottle of vodka, home schooling or lack of is taking it toll on for some

The state of this post. Like something off facebook.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Reading so important, and time tables , 2 basics that I always done at home and still do. Times Table on childs wall etc. Im more concerned about social skill development and isolation

Angelo

Teachers having a nice little injoke here about not having to work on full pay when people are seeing job losses and their businesses battling to stay afloat. Think it tells you an awful lot about their entitlement and lack of empathy.

To make it worse, it's the tax from front line workers who are keeping the show on the road day in day out that pays their wages.

Some of the smug comments on here are pretty shameful tbh.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

JimStynes

Kidder81

If you keep kids back a year what do you do with Septembers intake of P1s?

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Kidder81 on January 28, 2021, 01:03:05 PM
If you keep kids back a year what do you do with Septembers intake of P1s?

Closing day for applications is tomorrow I think so no changes planned atm