Taylor

Quote from: trailer on June 17, 2020, 10:10:50 AM
Quote from: Taylor on June 17, 2020, 07:53:11 AM
Quote from: trailer on June 16, 2020, 10:12:43 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on June 16, 2020, 07:45:22 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 16, 2020, 05:16:45 PM
Quote from: STREET FIGHTER on June 16, 2020, 04:29:26 PM
Quote from: trailer on June 16, 2020, 12:41:07 PM
When we look back I think we'll all agree this has been the biggest overreaction to anything ever. It is the greatest load of shite. Completely overblown. This is the opinion of all right thinking people.

Did your survey include those families that lost loved ones?

I don't know anyone who lost a loved one and I don't have any friends or employees who lost a love one or even knew anyone who died from it.

I would need to doublecheck but I think 65,000 people or so have died....

And that is a shocking figure. But the fact remains this is a disease of the over 70s.

Again trailer - we have been over this many many times - it is not a disease of the over 70's.

Yes it is.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/15/covid-19-coronavirus-breakdown-of-deaths-and-infections-worldwide

Go down and look at the graph titled Which age groups is Italy's COVID-19 outbreak deadliest for?

It cannot be denied. The risk to healthy young people is minuscule.

No it isnt - regardless of how miniscule the risk is there is a risk to young healthy people nevermind middle aged people.

It is clearly incorrect to say this is a disease of the over 70's.

Do you think if it was a disease for the over 70's only Bojo et al would have had lockdown - not a chance

johnnycool

If they're telling us that only 5% of the UK population contracted the disease and that led to 60K excess deaths, then it's fair to say that if the whole population contracted the disease then there could have been 1.2M excess deaths, or is my maths out?

UK has a pretty old population as well, so the entire over 70's age group which are most affected (not exclusively though) would have been wiped out.

Great news for pension funds and undertakers.......

trueblue1234

Quote from: trailer on June 17, 2020, 10:29:48 AM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 17, 2020, 10:27:26 AM
When we look back I think we'll all agree this has been the biggest overreaction to anything ever. It is the greatest load of shite. Completely overblown. This is the opinion of all right thinking people.

I don't know anyone who lost a loved one and I don't have any friends or employees who lost a love one or even knew anyone who died from it.

And that is a shocking figure. But the fact remains this is a disease of the over 70s.

Again trailer - we have been over this many many times - it is not a disease of the over 70's.

Yes it is.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/15/covid-19-coronavirus-breakdown-of-deaths-and-infections-worldwide

Go down and look at the graph titled Which age groups is Italy's COVID-19 outbreak deadliest for?

Which would be great if the community was made up of under 70, healthy people.

What's you point? Risks increase with age in nearly all diseases. That's why older people take precautions. They get priority for flu vaccines. They get more regular checkups. They should be minding themselves.

But there's never been as potent a virus that spreads as quickly. There's a pop of over 200,000 of over 70's in NI. We're not chatting small numbers here. Plus we don't have a vaccine like we have for the flu.
Most people are prepared to take precautions and make sacrifices to prevent the risk to the over 70's (and the vulnerable). We need to work towards opening the economy up again. But not at the risk of the over 70s.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

trailer

Quote from: trueblue1234 on June 17, 2020, 10:51:29 AM

Yes it is.

What's you point? Risks increase with age in nearly all diseases. That's why older people take precautions. They get priority for flu vaccines. They get more regular checkups. They should be minding themselves.

But there's never been as potent a virus that spreads as quickly. There's a pop of over 200,000 of over 70's in NI. We're not chatting small numbers here. Plus we don't have a vaccine like we have for the flu.
Most people are prepared to take precautions and make sacrifices to prevent the risk to the over 70's (and the vulnerable). We need to work towards opening the economy up again. But not at the risk of the over 70s.

Has there not? This idea that the virus spreads more quickly than anything we've ever seen before is complete nonsense. Look up R rates there. HIV, Measles, SARS, Zika.

trueblue1234

Quote from: trailer on June 17, 2020, 12:50:00 PM

Yes it is.

Has there not? This idea that the virus spreads more quickly than anything we've ever seen before is complete nonsense. Look up R rates there. HIV, Measles, SARS, Zika.
Fair point, I didn't express that right. It's a combination of the fact that Covid19 spreads easily from person to person same as the flu therefore harder to contain. Zika transfers mostly through mosquitoes not contact, HIV through bodily fluids. It's got a higher R value than some of the airborne viruses like Mers. There's no vaccination unlike measles.  There's reasons why the death rate is so high for a new virus. 

Smurfy123

Trueblue trying to twist my words
Only 5% of the uk has had it which I said. Now I'm saying if the older ones had of been isolated we could get that up to 50% with the fit and healthy and we would be in a much better place. Now as the weeks have went on and the hospitals have more time to get the PPE and Ventilators in along with more bed they fatality rate would drop enormously. They would know exactly how to treat it.
So after all the lock down a low percentage has it which in itself is not good
Stop trying to twist what I say

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 17, 2020, 01:50:00 PM
Only 5% of the uk has had it which I said. Now I'm saying if the older ones had of been isolated we could get that up to 50% with the fit and healthy and we would be in a much better place. Now as the weeks have went on and the hospitals have more time to get the PPE and Ventilators in along with more bed they fatality rate would drop enormously. They would know exactly how to treat it.

If' and hindsight's .. can I have the numbers for the Lottery tonight please?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 17, 2020, 01:50:00 PM

I'll be honest I'm not actually sure what your saying. Are you saying now we should just give it free reign and try and get the infected rate up to 50%?

* I agree on hospitals being in a better place now than March/ April.

J70

Quote from: trailer on June 17, 2020, 12:50:00 PM

Yes it is.

Zika is spread by mosquitoes. HIV via sexual contact and blood. Not quite the same spread and exposure risk as SARS or measles or COVID-19. Fortunately, we have a vaccine for measles, while SARS was contained fairly quickly and ended up infecting only 8000 people.

Smurfy123

Free reign? Let the thing takes its course for 6 months on the young and healthy
If that had of happened we would be in a much better place come Christmas
No need to lock all down
I can't make myself much clearer

1- Everyone above 60 should have been told to isolate along with the vulnerable
2- All carehomes should have been closed to the public for 4 months ring fence  them
3- Get hospitals installed with more ventilators and PPE
4- Close all airports for 2 months until we had a grip on things
5- Any kids living with vulnerable keep them off school
6- All bars pubs clubs only allowed 50% capacities
7- Enforce a 1 metre distance rule

But no we
1-Closed schools
2- Stopped all hospital treatments bar Covid
3- Shut down the whole economy

Are we better off now than we were 3 months ago?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 17, 2020, 02:55:21 PM
Free reign? Let the thing takes its course for 6 months on the young and healthy
No need to lock all down

2- All carehomes should have been closed to the public for 4 months ring fence  them

But no we
1-Closed schools

Alive and didn't infect anyone by staying in.

At the start of this the smart ones were asking to close off the island, it didn't happen.

You'd have been happy that all sporting events, concerts and so on to go ahead, they would have been fine had we just stopped the over 60's and vulnerable.

All the stuff you have said is complete hindsight, wonderful as they say.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

trueblue1234

No need to lock all down

But no we
1-Closed schools

Herd immunity then. Madness. Take a look at Sweden who didn't do a full lockdown. (And they still closed schools, stopped large gatherings,  tried to protect over 70's). The UK thought about Herd immunity and gave it up as the death toll sky rocketed.

dublin7

No need to lock all down

But no we
1-Closed schools

People by the very nature being in hospital have lower immune systems, so to bring them into a closed building and patients who have a highly contagious disease like Covid-19 would only make things worse.

Also where exactly was all the medical equipment & PPE to come from? By the time it reached Ireland mainland Europe and China were at peak Covid cases so there was very little equipment/PPE to buy such was the world wide demand for it.

Rossfan

Look it....can't ye all just stop nitpicking when a genius speaks.
If only all those Governments ( other than tr**p and Bozo) had listened to Smurf back in March ........
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Smurfy123

Where did I say heard immunity?
All mass gatherings to run at 40% capacity where a 1 metre distance can be kept
Sure what's the difference in doing all this now and back 2 months ago?
Same thing lads
Only difference is the economy is gone
The single most important thing in all this believe it or not is keeping your distance
Whether you admit that or not
It's simple but very affective
Like the marches in Belfast 12 days ago and no comeback from it
Passing this virus more than likely needs very very close contact with one another.