CPA (Club Players Association)

Started by ck, October 18, 2016, 12:02:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

CK - until club teams acknowledge the fact that you can't split a person in two, unfortunately it's not actually a scheduling problem.

Compress the County championship so it's over by August and there'll be senior club teams all over the land motioning that their club leagues don't start until August. So they'll go on until November regardless.

Am I the only person who thinks it's genuinely unfair for club teams to demand full availability of County players throughout the County season? I mean do we actually want our counties to win? Do we actually want our County players focused, drilled and conditioned for a higher level 6 days a week, and then forcing them to play a club game in the middle? Do we want this to happen the week before an AISFC match?

AZOffaly

Quote from: thewobbler on October 19, 2016, 08:48:05 AM
CK - until club teams acknowledge the fact that you can't split a person in two, unfortunately it's not actually a scheduling problem.

Compress the County championship so it's over by August and there'll be senior club teams all over the land motioning that their club leagues don't start until August. So they'll go on until November regardless.

Am I the only person who thinks it's genuinely unfair for club teams to demand full availability of County players throughout the County season? I mean do we actually want our counties to win? Do we actually want our County players focused, drilled and conditioned for a higher level 6 days a week, and then forcing them to play a club game in the middle? Do we want this to happen the week before an AISFC match?

Play all County Leagues without County Players.

Shorten the Inter County Season.

Start Club Championships by late July at the latest.

Finish them all by end of September.

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: thewobbler on October 19, 2016, 08:48:05 AM

Wobbler, i couldnt disagree with your posts more.

Of course its a scheduling problem!!!

I can only speak for my own county, but in Tyrone, clubs DON'T demand the county players play every game (they play in 10 out of the 15 league fixtures) and club games are very very rarely called off (unless it is to suit the county team)
Yet we are still in the situation were we have club players sitting without a game for 8-9 weeks through august & September.
Part of this is down to the complete fcukwittery of our county board this year and some of it is down to the larger issue of the intercounty season.
The two things need addressed hand in hand and the average club player needs a voice in all that.
Croke park have their agenda (which sadly seems to be revenue driven ) the GPA has theirs, so the voice of the clubs and the club player needs to be represented as well.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Esmarelda

I listened to the interview with Brennan last night, and I've read the comments here and what I can't understand is how nobody seems to have read the document issued to the clubs earlier this week.

It's the proposal from Croke Park regarding the inter-county season next year and it ticks a lot of boxes regarding what a lot of us have said is needed. It takes into account the three fundamental issues that the GPA said their members want and, at its heart, it tries to shorten the season to benefit anyone.

Is it a coincidence that the CPA talk starts on the same week? Has nobody else read it?

thewobbler

So blewuporstuffed, you don't think the problems in Tyrone are related to the clubs?

The only logical reason for leagues to be closed in Tyrone during August and September is down to the club championships. I'm guessing (only guessing) that it's the clubs who come up with scenarios to ensure that players aren't forced to sandwich league matches between championship matches, while the County board will be understandably hesitant to run league fixtures on the same day as championship matches, as it'll reduce attendances.

If I'm right, at least 50% of that problem is created by the clubs. If I'm wrong, I'm all ears.

armaghniac

The inter county   setup gets the blame a lot of the time,  but there are plenty of other issues. Are counies like Carlow with limited inter county success entirely free of problems?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: thewobbler on October 19, 2016, 09:50:57 AM
So blewuporstuffed, you don't think the problems in Tyrone are related to the clubs?

The only logical reason for leagues to be closed in Tyrone during August and September is down to the club championships. I'm guessing (only guessing) that it's the clubs who come up with scenarios to ensure that players aren't forced to sandwich league matches between championship matches, while the County board will be understandably hesitant to run league fixtures on the same day as championship matches, as it'll reduce attendances.

If I'm right, at least 50% of that problem is created by the clubs. If I'm wrong, I'm all ears.
I'll give you an example of my own club.
we played a league game on 21st August, got knocked out of the championship in the first round the following week, 28th and haven't played since. In any competition.
We still have two rounds of league games to play. We would have happily played them at any stage over the last 8 weeks.
I have never heard of any clubs complain about playing league games between championship games.
One of the main issues this year has been replays.The time has come to get rid of them (or at least play extra time the first day out)
the trouble with getting rid of them is that they are a great revenue generator for both croke park and for county boards, but surely a regular cohesive season for the majority of people who play our games is more important than the extra revenue?
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

muppet

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 19, 2016, 09:46:49 AM
I listened to the interview with Brennan last night, and I've read the comments here and what I can't understand is how nobody seems to have read the document issued to the clubs earlier this week.

It's the proposal from Croke Park regarding the inter-county season next year and it ticks a lot of boxes regarding what a lot of us have said is needed. It takes into account the three fundamental issues that the GPA said their members want and, at its heart, it tries to shorten the season to benefit anyone.

Is it a coincidence that the CPA talk starts on the same week? Has nobody else read it?

If you posted up a link we might be able to confirm.
MWWSI 2017

Esmarelda

Quote from: muppet on October 19, 2016, 10:08:33 AM

It's a pdf. Can I attach it?

I'd have thought that if someone had read it this week they'd remember. :)

muppet

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 19, 2016, 10:56:37 AM

If you got it off the net just post up the link. If it was via email you'll need to post it somewhere and then post the link here. Otherwise you could just copy the text and paste it into your post.

My connection to my home club and to my son's Dublin club are not enough to receive such emails evidently.
MWWSI 2017

Esmarelda

Quote from: muppet on October 19, 2016, 11:01:33 AM

If you got it off the net just post up the link. If it was via email you'll need to post it somewhere and then post the link here. Otherwise you could just copy the text and paste it into your post.

My connection to my home club and to my son's Dublin club are not enough to receive such emails evidently.
Sorry to be so amateur but what do you mean by the bit in bold?

It was sent to me by email (pdf attachment) and it's 40 odd pages long.

leenie

What is the title of the document/ proposal ?
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

The Trap

Wobbler, you can see clearly that you are a county game supporter and don't have any idea how these people came to play for their county.

I think the GAA are reluctant to change anything because they know if it REALLY came down to it the vast majority of players would choose to play for their clubs over their counties. Only the elite of the elite would choose county........and then the £££££££££s would be lost.

Esmarelda

Quote from: leenie on October 19, 2016, 11:23:27 AM
What is the title of the document/ proposal ?
Proposal On A Revised Format Of The All-Ireland Senior Football Championship (2018 And Beyond.)

If someone tells me how to attach the document I can stick it up here.

muppet

Quote from: Esmarelda on October 19, 2016, 11:09:10 AM
Quote from: muppet on October 19, 2016, 11:01:33 AM

Sorry to be so amateur but what do you mean by the bit in bold?

It was sent to me by email (pdf attachment) and it's 40 odd pages long.

Unwritten rule of the net is to post a link to anything you are referring to. The bold bit was wondering if anyone else had read it and thus they might at least corroborate that it exists and what it says, or better still post a link themselves.
MWWSI 2017