Roscommon v Tyrone

Started by EC Unique, July 20, 2011, 12:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barelegs

Bit of a so-so performance from Tyrone today odd and all as it is to write that after scoring 3-19.

Positives on the day were the performance of Sean Cavanagh, Sean O'Neill and Brian McGuigan. Thought Coney was doing well until he was harshly subbed- scored two points and took a great catch from the kickout that led to the goal. Tommy shipped a knock early on and never really seemed to recover. In saying that Mugsy and Dooher hardly put a foot wrong.

That performance at the back won't beat Dublin. The defence was left exposed for long periods and Mickey was slow to make any changes when the fullback line was struggling. The obvious change seemed to be for Joe to pick up Shine and for Gormley to take Kilbride and after 35 minutes it finally came. The defence tightened up and we pulled away.

Ricey struggled for the second game in a row. I don't think we can leave Justy on the bench next week for 45 minutes. With a bit of luck Cassidy will be fit to go next week. His aerial power and mobility would be a huge plus.

armaghniac

I suspect that some of the "book your tickets now for the Dublin game" is bound to have rubbed off on Tyrone and that they weren't quite expecting Roscommon's performance in the first half. Then they stepped it up in the second half. Dublin are something of a traditional enemy now and the attitude may be different.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

moysider

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 30, 2011, 09:10:01 PM
Quote from: AFS on July 30, 2011, 06:00:33 PM
Very impressive from Tyrone there, but Roscommon were brutal. They were never going to win but they could've made it a bit closer by not shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly. Same as their game against Cork last year. Must be a very frustrating team to follow. Tyrone are brilliant at engineering room in the FF line for players to run into from deep, they almost don't have a FF line at times. They're making a lot of goal chances this way. Something for the Dubs to watch.

AFS, i wouldn't agree with your statement that Roscommon were brutal, but i do agree with your comments about them shooting themselves in the foot.

Based on their performances against Cork last year, and Tyrone today, they seem to be able to remain competitive against the top sides for about 50-60 minutes, before the roof caves in. Seems to be due to a physical and mental tiredness, no doubt caused by a big step up in class.

Last year against Cork, they were only trailing by about 5 points, when David Casey lost the ball deep in his own defence which directly led to Cork scoring the game's only goal and running out 9 points winners.

Something similar happened today. Both of Tyrone's 2 late goals came from Roscommon mistakes or turning over possession. As my fellow county man mentioned a few posts above, Tyrone were never an 11 points better team than Roscommon today, but unfortunately the record books won't state that.

Until, or unless Roscommon can cut out these costly self inflicted schoolboy defensive errors, they will never get any better than they currently are.

There is a problem now for teams like Roscommon trying to bridge the gap between good footballing teams like Ros and the teams that have got the continuity right from year to year and are always in the last 4/8. Teams like Cork, Kerry, Tyrone and very few others have  managed to create a nice elite for themselves. Likes of Mayo and Galway who should have been in that loop have fucked up with management and will struggle to get back in the loop. There is a flaw in things. How are Roscommon suppopsed to improve. Next Feb before another competitive match - and we all know that the league doesn t matter. They can t use Connacht Championship as a guide either, because every team there is in the same boat.

Yet again the minor teams in the province reach the last 4 but the seniors are struggling to close the gap with the elect. And will continue to struggle because there really is no scope for most teams to develop. Established teams get more games and will always be a bit ahead in August. Irish International rugby players will play more internationals in a year than most county players will play competitive games. It s daft.

borderfox

Write this Tyrone team off at your peril! I fancy a Tyrone v Kerry final now. If it happens it'll be a great final.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Stevie g 8

3-19 is some scoring but they need to plug the holes at the back  if they are to beat the dubs, should be some game

ziggysego

Terrific game of football today at HQ. Tyrone showed some fine form, with a mixture of old and young complimenting each other very well. If only for a few errors on Roscommon's part, which we punished them for, it could have been a very different game. Tyrone were always going to win it at the end, but 11 points was far too flattering.

A lot of work to be done between now and next Saturday, if we are to beat the Dubs, but we are making steady progress.

I had the pleasure of sitting with the board's TyroneLass throughtout the game. A lovely lady.
Testing Accessibility

AFS

Quote from: Shrewdness on July 30, 2011, 09:10:01 PM
Quote from: AFS on July 30, 2011, 06:00:33 PM
Very impressive from Tyrone there, but Roscommon were brutal. They were never going to win but they could've made it a bit closer by not shooting themselves in the foot repeatedly. Same as their game against Cork last year. Must be a very frustrating team to follow. Tyrone are brilliant at engineering room in the FF line for players to run into from deep, they almost don't have a FF line at times. They're making a lot of goal chances this way. Something for the Dubs to watch.

AFS, i wouldn't agree with your statement that Roscommon were brutal, but i do agree with your comments about them shooting themselves in the foot.

Based on their performances against Cork last year, and Tyrone today, they seem to be able to remain competitive against the top sides for about 50-60 minutes, before the roof caves in. Seems to be due to a physical and mental tiredness, no doubt caused by a big step up in class.

Last year against Cork, they were only trailing by about 5 points, when David Casey lost the ball deep in his own defence which directly led to Cork scoring the game's only goal and running out 9 points winners.

Something similar happened today. Both of Tyrone's 2 late goals came from Roscommon mistakes or turning over possession. As my fellow county man mentioned a few posts above, Tyrone were never an 11 points better team than Roscommon today, but unfortunately the record books won't state that.

Until, or unless Roscommon can cut out these costly self inflicted schoolboy defensive errors, they will never get any better than they currently are.

Maybe 'brutal' was a bit harsh on Roscommon, but they did disappoint me overall. There was a failure to capitalise on moments of superiority in the first half, with 21 yard frees missed and a terrible goal conceded just after your own was scored. This was followed by a pretty dire second half collapse after about 50-55 minutes. The best teams aren't the ones with the most good moments, rather the ones that make the least mistakes. Roscommon seems to be a side that enjoys a fair amount of good moments in games, but just makes too many mistakes to be considered a good team.

Leo

The "goal" - even in slow motion a borderline decision. But if his foot was over the line as the ball was in flight - and it seemed to be - it is a square ball.
The cynical fouling - I think you'll find Kildare well ahead on that count, especially when they thought they had it in the bag in extra time. We could take a leaf out of rugby where the referee can warn the captain that for persistent fouling the next offender will see red.
The no-free near the end - no different to any number of decisions in any gaelic football game, this one included, so many can go either way.
And I thought the referee was very good.
MOM - in my opinion the Donegal full back McGee gave a real tour-de-force from start to finish.
He didn't even get a mention from the RTE panel & commentators who displayed a naked pro-Kildare bias throughout.
Fitness now rules football and we will only get football back when we restrict the handpass.
Fierce tame altogether

Leo

Oops, turned the wrong starting handle - that last post beongs to Kildare v Donegal.
Fierce tame altogether

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: Leo on July 31, 2011, 07:34:57 AM
The "goal" - even in slow motion a borderline decision. But if his foot was over the line as the ball was in flight - and it seemed to be - it is a square ball.
The cynical fouling - I think you'll find Kildare well ahead on that count, especially when they thought they had it in the bag in extra time. We could take a leaf out of rugby where the referee can warn the captain that for persistent fouling the next offender will see red.
The no-free near the end - no different to any number of decisions in any gaelic football game, this one included, so many can go either way.
And I thought the referee was very good.
MOM - in my opinion the Donegal full back McGee gave a real tour-de-force from start to finish.
He didn't even get a mention from the RTE panel & commentators who displayed a naked pro-Kildare bias throughout.
Fitness now rules football and we will only get football back when we restrict the handpass.

It's wile early for this posting craic isn't it!
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Rois

I was very glad to see Sean C stepping it up a gear today, thought he'd been quiet up to this but he, and the other 2 Moy men, were the pick of the team in the first half. Colm Cavanagh must have his starting place sewn up now - some great fielding in the middle, and how he stumbled and ricocheted his way through about five defenders to fist over a point shows that sometimes pure persistence pays off.
It's the third match in a row where Tyrone have had a stormer of a second half.  Mulligan looked in fine form when he came on. Glad to see Stevie fit to play some part, even if he didn't get touching the ball.

maco

Sadly, there are reports of the drowning of a Tyrone supporter in Dublin last night, and another man ill in hospital after trying to save him. Details of his condition not known at the minute.

backofthehand

Quote from: Rois on July 31, 2011, 09:58:19 AM
I was very glad to see Sean C stepping it up a gear today, thought he'd been quiet up to this but he, and the other 2 Moy men, were the pick of the team in the first half. Colm Cavanagh must have his starting place sewn up now - some great fielding in the middle, and how he stumbled and ricocheted his way through about five defenders to fist over a point shows that sometimes pure persistence pays off.
It's the third match in a row where Tyrone have had a stormer of a second half.  Mulligan looked in fine form when he came on. Glad to see Stevie fit to play some part, even if he didn't get touching the ball.
Sean played well, but still not working hard enough off the ball for my liking.

ross4life

We didn't get justice for our battling display yesterday, 64mins on the clock Tyrone 1-19 Roscommon 1-14 & for some poor wides we would have been closer. (15 wides in total)

1st half

Was a well I've seen us play for years, 4 points up could have been 6-7 & Shine,Cregg & Kilbride were roasting their markers. Tyrone got a goal against the run of play & I'm sure Mickey Harte was wondering how on earth they where leading at HT.

2nd half

As expected Tyrone brought on experienced players moved the gears & scored 5 points without reply & really that was the platform for this win.

We rallied somewhat when O'Gara came on to make it a 3 point game & again kicked some bad wides & Kilbride had a goal chance well defended. of course it was our luck that Sean Cavanagh decided to have his best game for 3 years! it will be a while before he scores 2-3 again i reckon. In the end the best team won no doubt but the final scoreline was extremely flattering. best of luck Tyrone i hope ye go on & win another All Ireland now.

The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

ross matt

Congratulations to Tyrone. They had in their side quality, experience plus physical and mental toughness. We more than match them for long periods of the match but in the end we were too young, too inexperienced at this level and mentally frail for the last ten minutes where we threw in the towel and the floodgates opened.

That being said great credit has to go the Fergie and the lads for the first half display. We really should have been up 4 or 5 points and there was nothing to suggest we wouldnt go on to win it. Finneran and Mannion dominated the air. Shine, Kilbride and Cregg had the Tyrone defence in severe trouble. Seanie Mac was brilliant in our defence. However we missed a certain  1-4 and really it cost us at the death.

We rallied well in the middle of the 2nd half but when Tyrone smelled blood and ran at us in straight lines we were in trouble. We have quality defenders but we need a stopper of a centre back with presence like Gormly in his prime. We also coughed up alot of ball at centre forward especially when showing for our own kick outs. But in the end as I feared we couldnt counter Sean Cavanaghs mobility. It was Roy of the Rovers stuff for him yesterday and he was a deserving man of the match. Its worth point out though that Karol Mannion also scored 1-2 from midfield for us so Sean kinda glossed over a problem area for Tyone that could be exploited by Dublin.

Whats important for us though is that we took them on in Croker and competed well for 3 quarters of the match and had them on the back foot for most of the 1st half. We have to learn from this. We have to mature physically and mentally. Above all we need to capitalise on our periods of dominace by coverting obvious scoring opportunities like all the top sides do. We need to bring in a few more players but as the minors showed yesterday they are on the way. Roscommon football is in a healthy state. Progress is slow and painful but it is progress.

Best of luck to Tyrone v the Dubs. They still boast some of the best players the game has ever seen and the way they can re-invent themselves continuously in order to compete at the top table is an example to any county. Met some of their supporters yesterday also  and they were friendly, polite and intelligent football people.