Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrones own

Quote from: imtommygunn on December 30, 2010, 11:06:54 PM
Fetcheveryone, I find, is a very simple interface for the training diary and is pretty nifty to use.

All I want is average HR, pace / mile and distance for each run which fetch has. It summarises all this very well. Also a very useful feature on it is you put in what shoes you did the run in and it records this. Useful as most trainers only have ~500 mile in them so a good indicator of when to change.

Garmin connect has loads of bells and whistles but I wouldn't use the half of them. It's very good no doubt.

I was just reading the 410 bezel is much better. I'm contemplating upgrading. However it's £330 on amazon! 260 on a GPS site though.Might take a look at the 310. The 305 was very chunky - I'm guessing it's the same?
Yes it's the same style as the old 305 and so is quite bulky...but the bells and whistles are fantastic, different modes for the bike and also working out indoors.
I use most all it has to offer especially the HR monitor, cadence and the mapping of terrain during training for a bike race, would highly recommend it if ye can get past the price
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Baile an tuaigh on December 31, 2010, 02:45:07 AM
Quote from: lurganblue on December 30, 2010, 11:54:36 PM
They sound very good lads but f**k they are wile dear!! May just have to bite the bullet though

I bought the garmin 205 a bout four years ago. Used it still to day, would feel like I am running naked if I didn't have it on. It cost 250 US dollars.

My youngest brother just finished his first marathon in Dublin earlier this year and for Christmas I bought him the garmin 305 version which unlike the 205 will record your heart rate. It cost 350 US dollars which is probably 175 pound. If your interested you can PM me and I will give you the stores information where I purchased it. Its in Chicago though.
Bat, would you say the Garmin 205 is the same watch as the 305, just minus the heart rate monitor. Im interested in buying one of these, i had a loan of a 305, but i didnt use the heart rate attachment, not really interested in wearing it, but i like the watch for timing etc.

BennyHarp

Im surprised how addictive this running lark is. I started (from a very unfit position) on the 10th of January and ran 1.5 miles which nearly killed me. I stuck at it and have gradually upped the distance over 3 or 4 nights a week to 4.5 miles with no stops the past two nights. There is a fair oul thrill after you've done the running and i honestly cant believe that i am in a position where i am actually looking forward to going for a run.

My times arent great (just under 30 mins for 3 miles) but im more concerned with just trying to get further each week. The free MAPMYRUN app for the Iphone is a good job by the way, tracks your route and distance, gives time and distance updates every mile (or km) and also tells you how many calories youv'e burned.
That was never a square ball!!

lurganblue

I've been using runkeeper pro the last few weeks as someone on here said it was free for January.  thought id try it.  great job. helps me out with pacing my runs as i used to always think i was going to slow and speed up...

Orior

Dont ramp up too quick.

Make sure you have at least a day rest between runs. Two or three day rests would be better at this point in your career.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

wanderer

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 26, 2011, 03:46:37 PM
Im surprised how addictive this running lark is. I started (from a very unfit position) on the 10th of January and ran 1.5 miles which nearly killed me. I stuck at it and have gradually upped the distance over 3 or 4 nights a week to 4.5 miles with no stops the past two nights. There is a fair oul thrill after you've done the running and i honestly cant believe that i am in a position where i am actually looking forward to going for a run.

My times arent great (just under 30 mins for 3 miles) but im more concerned with just trying to get further each week. The free MAPMYRUN app for the Iphone is a good job by the way, tracks your route and distance, gives time and distance updates every mile (or km) and also tells you how many calories youv'e burned.
Quote from: Orior on January 26, 2011, 04:56:28 PM
Dont ramp up too quick.

Make sure you have at least a day rest between runs. Two or three day rests would be better at this point in your career.

I agree with Orior, each to their own, but the best advice I can give is to get as much rest as runs at this stage or you will get start to get niggles/injuries kicking in when you want them the least.
Everyone is different, but the rule of thumb is to not increase by more than 10% of the previous distance, and total your weekly distances to keep an eye on it

No1

leaveherinsir

Im running the Larne half marathon today, anybody else doing it, or have done it before?

imtommygunn

Yeah I've done it before - my advice would be conserve a bit of energy for second half.

It's flat to ~6 mile and then you've a mile or two of steep enough hill then downhill and back. Save some for the hill and descent then it's flat on the way back so you can hammer on.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 19, 2011, 10:12:14 AM
Yeah I've done it before - my advice would be conserve a bit of energy for second half.

It's flat to ~6 mile and then you've a mile or two of steep enough hill then downhill and back. Save some for the hill and descent then it's flat on the way back so you can hammer on.
Cheers, just finished beatin the porridge into me!! Bring it on, im lookin forward to it!!

lurganblue

Getting awful pain in the outside of my knee and up into the side of my thigh. Usually kicks in after about 5/6 miles. Really starting to hold me back. Any ideas on how to prevent this. Tried resting but again it comes back. Got a gait analysis and proper trainers, no help. Starting to think running isn't for me

imtommygunn

You can treat it with a foam roller though a physio is obviously a better bet. Have you had it treated? Even with new trainers it still won't go away if you haven't had it treated.

It's generally caused through over pronation. If it's still bad with new trainers then orthotics would be an option. It also happened me when I first started running however I've got over it now.

Goo luck in Larne LHIS. I know a good few ones doing it - always a good race.

lurganblue

yea i got physio treatment on it last year but it had limited success tbh.  i do over pronate according to the gait analysis and thus got trainers to suit.  rested for about 2 months but it quickly returned once i was up and running again. admittedly i wouldnt be the most flexible in the world so maybe getting one of these foam rollers would help

wanderer

Quote from: lurganblue on March 19, 2011, 11:20:01 AM
Getting awful pain in the outside of my knee and up into the side of my thigh. Usually kicks in after about 5/6 miles. Really starting to hold me back. Any ideas on how to prevent this. Tried resting but again it comes back. Got a gait analysis and proper trainers, no help. Starting to think running isn't for me

Have had that before myself. Get yourself a good sports massage at least twice, lay of the running for a few weeks (replace with cycling or swimming if you can) and you'll be better than before in no time.
New trainers and foam rollers are a good job when it has been loosened off, but its somewhere between hard & impossible to stretch properly until you get it massaged (in my experience), and it will keep re-occuring.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 19, 2011, 01:45:46 PM
You can treat it with a foam roller though a physio is obviously a better bet. Have you had it treated? Even with new trainers it still won't go away if you haven't had it treated.

It's generally caused through over pronation. If it's still bad with new trainers then orthotics would be an option. It also happened me when I first started running however I've got over it now.

Goo luck in Larne LHIS. I know a good few ones doing it - always a good race.
You were right enough, good run, i struggled on the way home tho, last 3 miles was one foot after the other stuff  :(. Really wanted to run under 1hr 40mins and missed it by 23 seconds. Sore as bejaysus this morning too!