Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DennistheMenace

Details hardstation you big tease.

quit yo jibbajabba

lads/lassies; back to this oul heart rate thingy;

used it today for the first time at gym; goin by the figures to be in the fat burnin zone my heart rate neded to stay round the high 120's; when i started in no time at all, i had to lower the speed on the treadmill to round 7.5kph; now im by no means a fitness fanatic (6ft, 15st, 36yrs old) but i can comfortably run round the old 12kph mark, getting up to 13kph for round 15,20 mins once ive done a week or two (7.5-8min miles approx);

basically am i getting the figures wrong? It seemed wile slow to be at when im used to pushin it a bit more than this; did 20mins on the bike then too, also goin a fair bit slower than usual.  Am i on the right tracks?  fat loss is my initial goal, ill happily take things outside once ive a stone off;

feedback,comments please :)

ONeill

I think that everyone's maximum bpm is different, so you might be a bit higher than that. My running bpm was around 160 2 months ago (170 when stepping it up a bit). Now it's around 145-150. It seems the fitter I get the lower my average bpm. In saying that, ran for the first time tonight in over a fortnight and had a cardiac arrest after 2 miles. You can fairly lose it in a short space of time.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Trevor Hill

Has anyone ever suffered from heel spurs? I assume I have got this from mountain running/walking over the last 6 months. I haven't had a proper diagnosis yet, will probably get to see a doctor next week. Just wondering how to get rid of the pain in the meantime.

quit yo jibbajabba

cheers o'neill; would agree with the losin it quickly theory; hadnt been in a week or two;
i would anticipate bein able to run a bit faster at this bpm in a week or two, but would guess it would still be a fair bit short of what i can do when i feel i am pushin myself;

like i say, burnin fat is my main goal at present; should i stick with the slow (v slow) runs in the meantime, or just keep pushing things to my limits?

Tyrones own

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on July 22, 2009, 10:19:07 PM
cheers o'neill; would agree with the losin it quickly theory; hadnt been in a week or two;
i would anticipate bein able to run a bit faster at this bpm in a week or two, but would guess it would still be a fair bit short of what i can do when i feel i am pushin myself;

like i say, burnin fat is my main goal at present; should i stick with the slow (v slow) runs in the meantime, or just keep pushing things to my limits?

You'll have to vamp up that pace a bit for fat burning purposes, 120 bpm won't get it done.
As O'Neill says, everyone's max will be different but for your age and weight 120 is quite low
With the calculation i use i have you at between 128 and 147 approx 70-80% of you max
on day's you want to go longer distances take the pace down a bit and vice versa.
Getting yourself into the hills (cross country) when you feel ready will take the weight off
fairly quickly.. or get the auld ten speed out of course and alternate your workouts.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Mayo4Sam

any of you lads doing gaelforce this year?
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

quit yo jibbajabba

Tyrones Own, thanks for this;

i used a calculation 207 - 0.7times my age(36) which equalled 182, then 70% of this was 127.4; is this not correct?

i'd love to push it a bit faster, and can do so; just curious as to the whole science of it that by goin at a pretty slow rate, i was burning fat (then the fitness part could come when the fat was "gone")

imtommygunn

Trevor heel spurs sound to be like plantar fiscalis...

I assume you have problems with the base of your feet? The best way to treat this is to get a tennis ball and when you're watching tv or whatever take your shoes off and roll the tennis ball about with the painful part of your foot. I had mild plantar fiscalis and got rid of it myself by doing this while still training.

The heart rate thing is hard to stick to. I would read runners world a lot and there is a section on it about what heart rate training you should be doing. There are many varying theories on it. The one I read which someone had used, had theory behind and worked was 180 - your age. If you're unfit take away 5, if you're reasonably fit leave as is and if you're very fit add 5.

I find it very hard training under a heart rate of 150.

What's gael force?

Tyrones own

Quotei used a calculation 207 - 0.7times my age(36) which equalled 182, then 70% of this was 127.4; is this not correct?

Yes that is correct although I use the 220 instead of the 207.

Quotei'd love to push it a bit faster, and can do so; just curious as to the whole science of it that by goin at a pretty slow rate, i was burning fat (then the fitness part could come when the fat was "gone")

No in my opinion it's the opposite, running at around the 120 BPM pace will through time build
a degree of fitness alright but to get the kind of results you're looking for it comes down to the
old "no pain no gain" deal I'm afraid.
You don't sound like you're unfit at all so don't be afraid to step it up a bit, see how you feel.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

fred the red

Lads

can anyone recommend any suitable footwear for a bitta road running?

Trevor Hill

Quote from: fred the red on July 23, 2009, 06:10:44 PM
Lads

can anyone recommend any suitable footwear for a bitta road running?

Asics gel kinsei 2s

imtommygunn

There are 3 types of trainer:

neutral - for those who don't overpronate
stability - for mild over-pronators
motion control - for extreme over pronators

check which one of these you are and then asics or mizuno are usually your best bet. running shops like up and running will determine this by doing a gait analysis.

fred the red

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 23, 2009, 08:45:41 PM
There are 3 types of trainer:

neutral - for those who don't overpronate
stability - for mild over-pronators
motion control - for extreme over pronators

check which one of these you are and then asics or mizuno are usually your best bet. running shops like up and running will determine this by doing a gait analysis.

i under pronate, what would you recommend for this?

imtommygunn

Neutral are recommended. (Just looked on google) Under pronation is called suprination I think...

I use asics. Just bought a pair of gel cumulus 11 of start fitness.

It's the cheapest place about for running stuff.