Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam

See the lad who finished 17th in the marathon alledgedly cheated, there seems to be some chat on-line about it, this is from the Daily Mail

http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/iphone/homepage.aspx#_article440eb407-e20d-4133-ac6d-29ea9ffc813d
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

ballinaman

Saw this story a day or two after the race over on boards.ie in the athletics section, the lad was seen by a friend of a poster entering the race down by the RDS. The lad doesn't have a 20mile split so probably nipped down through Clonskeagh after the half way marker. Posters on boards said he has history similar amazing 2nd half splits.

You'd wonder what would motivate you to do that, you may as well come 300th as 30th and there was always a high probability of being caught in a high profile race such as the marathon.

Milltown Row2

What a nobhead, I mean what will he ever think of achieving? bragging rights in the pub afterwards? Hope if he's part of a running club that he's kicked out.

I have been doing the spin classes for few months and the amount of blaggers that go is unreal, why turn up if you don't put on resistance on the bike??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ballinaman

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 08, 2012, 08:10:30 PM
What a nobhead, I mean what will he ever think of achieving? bragging rights in the pub afterwards? Hope if he's part of a running club that he's kicked out.

I have been doing the spin classes for few months and the amount of blaggers that go is unreal, why turn up if you don't put on resistance on the bike??
Ya, very strange. Wore a crusaders ac top from Dublin but seems like he turned up to training once to get the top and never saw him again. Hope he's banned from AAI races for a long time

imtommygunn

That fella in england who got the bus to finish third got kicked out of a race recently and is banned from all steve cram organised races so he may get similar treatment.

What is the point. Hard to understand why you'd bother. Not exactly an achievement.

Mayo4Sam

He can't be right in the head in fairness, he's obviously in reasonable shape given his splits, you'd feel sorry for him that it's not enough to finish and have that achievement.

Am 50-50 about that 5k on Saturday, would like to have a time but at training this evening felt like there was lead in my legs still

Mayo4Sam

Anyone else do the park run this morning? Lovely course and perfect conditions.
Very well run, although a steward did go missing in the last half km and I think a few lads may have gotten away with a short cut.
I'll be back though

Milltown Row2

Thinking of doing the Larne half marathon, 23rd March. Anyone done it before?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

thewobbler

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 10, 2012, 08:01:10 PM
Thinking of doing the Larne half marathon, 23rd March. Anyone done it before?

Not done it before, but It's on my radar too Milltown. I'm training towards it now, and if I don't come out of it suicidal I'll do the Belfast marathon.

tyroneboi

Now that i am winding down from the football i was thinking of doing either the Omagh Half Marathon on the 23rd March or the Larne Half a week later on the 30th March. I wonder would both be too much?

imtommygunn

I was hoping to do Larne too MR. They changed the course this year but when I did it, and I don't think it's changed that much, it was basically 5-6 mile flat, 2 miles of tough enough hills and then the rest was flat. Omagh is a lot hilier overall. Tyroneboi it wouldn't be too much if you're fit enough but you could do one and enter on the day of the other if you're fit for it.

Great turnout at that first parkruin Mayo4sam. I know a few who went down from here. I ran the waterworks one in Belfast and beat my PB in it from bang on 2 years ago.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 11, 2012, 09:26:59 AM
I was hoping to do Larne too MR. They changed the course this year but when I did it, and I don't think it's changed that much, it was basically 5-6 mile flat, 2 miles of tough enough hills and then the rest was flat. Omagh is a lot hilier overall. Tyroneboi it wouldn't be too much if you're fit enough but you could do one and enter on the day of the other if you're fit for it.

Great turnout at that first parkruin Mayo4sam. I know a few who went down from here. I ran the waterworks one in Belfast and beat my PB in it from bang on 2 years ago.

One of my students is trying to call my bluff and get me to do it. He finished last year on 1.40 or thereabouts. I'd need to beat that to be able to show my face!! I'm aming for 1.30, so will put in a few 6 milers in coming weeks just to see how I fare.

Looking running shoes also, any decent priced ones out there at the minute?

ballinaman

Looking at new ones myself when I get back going in a few weeks.

Normally use Asics 2170's but looking at the Nike Lunar glides, little bit cheaper and have got good reviews too. Never used Nike before, have a neutral arch, anyone here use Nike?

Congrats on the PB tommy, you tipping close to 17 or even under for 5k?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: ballinaman on November 11, 2012, 02:42:35 PM
Looking at new ones myself when I get back going in a few weeks.

Normally use Asics 2170's but looking at the Nike Lunar glides, little bit cheaper and have got good reviews too. Never used Nike before, have a neutral arch, anyone here use Nike?

Congrats on the PB tommy, you tipping close to 17 or even under for 5k?

£100! Is that the rate now? last time I bought a pair was 4 or so years ago, christ nowt cheap now.

leaveherinsir

Havnt been on here in a while. Some good marathon running there guys. Injured at minute myself but on road to recovery. Lookin forward to getting back running soon!