Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on September 24, 2012, 12:15:18 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 24, 2012, 12:01:48 PM
Bingo the pacers are generally very good. I'd say a good bet would be to go out with them (either 3:30 or 3:45) and try and stick to them. I'd say 3:30 could be within your grasp given 2:55 for a 21 miler.

Yeah, thats definately a consideration. Is it best to go with faster ones and hope to stay with them or slower pacers and try and have something to finish with, I'd be of cautious thinking and would think 3.45 and finish stronger would work for me.

Ya, I'd go with that plan Bingo, race starts at 22 miles and its psychologically tough if you were to get dropped by 3.30 group then. I got dropped by the 3 group at 15 miles and then the 3.15 group at 22 miles last year...ouch, finished in 3.22 then.

Hope to give 3 a right shot this year to be honest, feel I'm much better prepared than last year. I've done  four 21 milers and five 18's already, did a 10km race last sunday and finished up in 35.40 .

Going to go out now to flush the drink and clear the head after yesterday.

imtommygunn

I would say that's a plan Bingo. Haven't done a marathon but it's what I would do myself if or when I did one.

BM that's a good time for a 10k. I ran about that 2 weeks ago then picked up a hamstring niggle :-\ Back at it now though. The leg speed shouldn't be a limiting factor and you should be set-up alright assuming you're tempoing and long running alright. Do you do marathon pace sessions much?

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on September 24, 2012, 01:32:36 PM

Ya, I'd go with that plan Bingo, race starts at 22 miles and its psychologically tough if you were to get dropped by 3.30 group then. I got dropped by the 3 group at 15 miles and then the 3.15 group at 22 miles last year...ouch, finished in 3.22 then.

Hope to give 3 a right shot this year to be honest, feel I'm much better prepared than last year. I've done  four 21 milers and five 18's already, did a 10km race last sunday and finished up in 35.40 .

Going to go out now to flush the drink and clear the head after yesterday.

Thats my way of thinking on it at this stage and in the Newry half I kept a steady pace with a view to finishing stronger and it worked well. Was following your advice on that day on same basis that the race only starts at 9 miles or something along those lines.

You've alot of miles on the clock, so hopefully you hit the mark, savage running in fairness.

Hard luck yesterday but I'm sure you fed up hearing that!

ballinaman

imt...Yep, have been doing the end of the long runs at marathon pace. Did the last 4 on Saturday morning at 6.45 pace and the 17 miles before it at 7.20 pace.
The 10km race was a strange one, been a good few months since I did a race and didn't know how i was going to go, felt grand at the end and put the shoe down for the last 1km in 3.07. Ran out to bull island there along by Clontarf, good to clear the head, absolutely devastated about yesterday, think I'll be doing some amount of running this week :-\

Good stuff bingo, you've made serious improvements in the last year, times are flying down for ya.
Hope to stay with the 3hr group until 21 miles and i'll see how i feel, will either push on for 2.57/58, if not going great, just hang on to them for 3hrs! Definitely done with the marathon if I get under the 3, 10km training much more enjoyable and less time consuming!

imtommygunn

If you'd a 3:07 left in you in the last k BM then you mustn't have been pushing yourself hard enough the rest of it!!

Sounds like both you boys have most of the work done anyway. If you've the work done you'll do alright.

Running can be pretty therapeutic BM so should help rightly.

ballinaman

Aye, felt grand all the way through, probably should have taken a few more seconds off the time but it was a fairly tactical race, managed to get 3rd with the final push. Ya, need all the relaxing I can get. Still mad as hell to be honest!

ballinaman

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on October 02, 2012, 01:56:59 PM
Any interest lads? Looks mad...imagine the quads burn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z94NVESBto0&feature=player_embedded

Crazy stuff, the hill itself looks tough, never mind getting up the ski jump after that.

I love a bit of hill running but that just seems a touch out of my range yet!

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on October 02, 2012, 02:02:35 PM

Crazy stuff, the hill itself looks tough, never mind getting up the ski jump after that.

Yep, the ski jump would be the right kicker after it levels out...the training for it would be hilarious.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on October 02, 2012, 02:08:08 PM

Yep, the ski jump would be the right kicker after it levels out...the training for it would be hilarious.

I trying to think of somewhere to train and the only place I can think of is trying to run up the side of the house!

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on October 02, 2012, 02:12:42 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on October 02, 2012, 02:08:08 PM

I trying to think of somewhere to train and the only place I can think of is trying to run up the side of the house!
;D

Bingo

Gladiator.....READY

Ballinaman......READY

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on October 02, 2012, 02:17:21 PM
Gladiator.....READY

Ballinaman......READY

John Anderson would start the marathon if i had my way......

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on October 02, 2012, 02:19:43 PM
Quote from: Bingo on October 02, 2012, 02:17:21 PM
Gladiator.....READY

Ballinaman......READY

John Anderson would start the marathon if i had my way......

If i had my way, he'd finish it as well....for me!

Milltown Row2

Lads any decent 10k races coming up?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea