Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Bingo on April 09, 2012, 03:26:20 PM
Ran the Mountpleasant 5km this afternoon outside Dundalk. Very wet but managed to do it in 19.57, so broke the 20 min mark for first time. Fairly happy with that.

Are you running long Bingo?
MWWSI 2017

Bingo

Muppet,

Actually started cycling first to do a bike leg of local tristhlon last July. Did a bit of running after that and got more into it over winter, ran first 5km race in december  and pushed on since doing few 5kms, few 10kms and duathlons etc. enjoying it a lot if truth be told.

muppet

Quote from: Bingo on April 09, 2012, 08:40:56 PM
Muppet,

Actually started cycling first to do a bike leg of local tristhlon last July. Did a bit of running after that and got more into it over winter, ran first 5km race in december  and pushed on since doing few 5kms, few 10kms and duathlons etc. enjoying it a lot if truth be told.

Fair play. When did you start and were you a couch potato beforehand or were you still pretty fit?
MWWSI 2017

imtommygunn

Good running Bingo.

Funny thing about running is that when you meet a target you set yourself you just end up setting another one so you'll need a new target now!

Bingo

Quote from: muppet on April 09, 2012, 08:45:55 PM
Quote from: Bingo on April 09, 2012, 08:40:56 PM
Muppet,

Fair play. When did you start and were you a couch potato beforehand or were you still pretty fit?

Wouldn't have called myself a fully fledged couch potato but was getting there. Always played a bit of football and more recently 5 a side but it was getting infrequent, so had to start something. That was last July. Started running regularly in September and still on bike as well.

Tommy - doing a few 10kms now and a half marathon in may. 40 min 10km be target but long way off, about 4mins to be exact!

imtommygunn

Once you are fit enough bingo the key to improving at 10ks , in my view, is tempo running.

Bingo

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 09, 2012, 09:09:28 PM
Once you are fit enough bingo the key to improving at 10ks , in my view, is tempo running.

Have been doing a bit recently and some interval runs as well - 400m at fast pace, jog for 400m and repeat. Doing about 8 reps of that.

Have a few Tempo running programmes for 10km that I will probably try and follow in the coming weeks.

lurganblue

Strongly considering getting started to try and run a marathon again. I haven't ran seriously in about a year or so. I had previously signed up to do Dublin but got injured two weeks before it. Do any of you have a good schedule for about 20 weeks? I see a lot of ones online but I don't like the run for 20mins Tuesday, then run for 30 mins Thursday etc ones. I would prefer set miles. Any help would be appreciated.

leaveherinsir

Quote from: Bingo on April 10, 2012, 10:15:25 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on April 09, 2012, 09:09:28 PM

Have been doing a bit recently and some interval runs as well - 400m at fast pace, jog for 400m and repeat. Doing about 8 reps of that.

Have a few Tempo running programmes for 10km that I will probably try and follow in the coming weeks.
i found tempo running has been working for me, ive been doing 30 mins, got up to 4.3 mile roughly. ran a 5 mile race on sat past and set a new p.b. of 33min 24secs.  Then on sunday i ran a 10k and set another p.b of 43min 10sec. Also had a ran half marathon at end of march, doing the longer (10 mile) training runs helps the strength. And a few runs in the Sperrins makes the runs on flatter ground easier!

imtommygunn

Very good leaveherinsir.

I ran sub 36 for the first time on Sunday in that great ireland run in dublin.

Some turnout at it and I'm told Bekele was in a class of his own but I didn't see too much of him! 27:47 and on that course too is unbelievable.

Ballinaman, if you're reading, did you do the great ireland?

Lurganblue runningtimes is the best online resource for running. Not sure if there schedules are miles or minutes though but sure just roughly translate one to the other if needbe based on training times. Have a look on it.

ballinaman

Didn't run it...clashed with the Mayo match, went for an 18 miler around the park that morning though. Seemed like a serious buzz around the place, I was finishing up when the junior race had started. The course seemed tough enough because I normally do the park anti clockwise skirting the walls and there are a fair few hills the other way around. Fair play on sub 36, huge run. Doing the night run on Sunday week, league final is on earlier in the day and will only be itching for a pint if we win.. ;D. First race since the Marathon so should be interesting to see how it goes.

imtommygunn

It was hilly last 5k alright and a mad amount of people about.

One of my training mates doing that night time run which sounds like a good one. I wouldn't fancy a league final first but wouldn't know being from antrim :-[

5k next for me and then back to the drawing board for training to try and get another chunk of my time and maybe do a half.

ballinaman

You did well to do a PB in a race with such a large field, can be like interval training at the start dodging people. Aye, serious drag at 5km to 6 km and 7km to 8km, usually happy to be going down those hills. Night run looks like a flat course so we'll see how it goes, am sure enough nervous energy will be expended knowing Mayo though...ye'll be there in the hurling soon enough maybe?!?
Half on 12th of May is the big one for me, home turf and would love to do sub 1.23

imtommygunn

In with the "elites" at the start so missed the masses as I was about 4 rows back...(it's easy enough to get into - just need to be associated with a club)

1:23 would be a good time for a half. I've yet to do one properly so not sure where I'd be at.

Ha, yes Mayo always seem to keep their supporters guessing. Sure you beat them last year so no reason not to repeat that. Some day that will be us, some day...

Bingo

Registered for this Nightrun myself. Should be interesting and i'd expect it to be a fast route with hopefully the wind at our back going down by the Liffey!

Serious time their imtommygunn. I'll not be in that league for the 10km, looking round the 43/44m mark myself. Haven't been doing as much running last few weeks as I'd have like to have been.