Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Belfast ain't good for a time BM! There are good 3 hour pacers in belfast though who'd do a good job getting you round - probably the same ones as monday.

Well done - first one always toughest by all accounts. I know quite a few who did it - most seem to struggle for some reason.

By the way - Edinburgh is regarded as one of the quickest about...

heganboy

3.22 is still some time. I am still very pleased that I beat 4 hours! (years ago before any of the smart arises jump in...)
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 03, 2011, 10:16:11 PM
Belfast ain't good for a time BM! There are good 3 hour pacers in belfast though who'd do a good job getting you round - probably the same ones as monday.

Well done - first one always toughest by all accounts. I know quite a few who did it - most seem to struggle for some reason.

Really?Bollox, thought it was supposed to be a nice enough course. Ya, the pacers on Monday were class. I was in the 3 hour group till 17, was like being in the peloton in the Tour de France!! Had to leave them go when the pain started, soul destroying to be passed by the 3.15 group at 21 miles but i dug deep and promised meself that i'd use the experience.

Aye, glad to have the 1st one out of the way. I've always been a 5k, 10K runner but the marathon is a different animal altogether. Gets ya because I'll have that 3.22 hanging over me for months until can get another go at it.

Fair play heganboy, sub 4 is serious running, marathon is brutal!

imtommygunn

Belfast has a lot of very exposed areas so you'll get hit by a lot of wind. Less numbers means you'll be more out on your own too if you lose the pace group. Also it's a hilly bollocks in places.  That aside it's great  ;) Seriously though it's not renowned for being fast.

3:22 is a great time especially for a first. I'm still at the 5k / 10k / 5 mile races etc. I'll do a few more of them before stepping up.

Sub 4 also good time heganboy. If you're going below 4 you're doing well.

ballinaman

Quote from: imtommygunn on November 03, 2011, 10:32:04 PM
Belfast has a lot of very exposed areas so you'll get hit by a lot of wind. Less numbers means you'll be more out on your own too if you lose the pace group. Also it's a hilly bollocks in places.  That aside it's great  ;) Seriously though it's not renowned for being fast.

3:22 is a great time especially for a first. I'm still at the 5k / 10k / 5 mile races etc. I'll do a few more of them before stepping up.

Sub 4 also good time heganboy. If you're going below 4 you're doing well.
Sound for the heads up. Had a look at Edinburgh there, 27th of May, 3 weeks later than Belfast so bit more time to prepare. Would like to do Belfast sometime though.  Going to join a club here in Dublin in the next few weeks so hopefully might bring us on again. Looking forward to getting back to shorter races now, hopefully head up to bingos Castleblaney 5k!
You're dead right though, take your time stepping up. Hard to stop once ya start!

Bingo

Thats a very good time for first marathon, fair play.

One of the lads done 3.17, he had done 3.18 in Berlin a while back, so he was delighted on a tough enough course by all accounts. It was his 4th marathon.

I'm considering doing it next year, hopefully will do some of the muti-sport events first - the Gaelforce races, enjoy them more than the running but if they go well, I'll take on with the marathon.

ballinaman

Quote from: Bingo on November 04, 2011, 09:44:37 AM
Thats a very good time for first marathon, fair play.

One of the lads done 3.17, he had done 3.18 in Berlin a while back, so he was delighted on a tough enough course by all accounts. It was his 4th marathon.

I'm considering doing it next year, hopefully will do some of the muti-sport events first - the Gaelforce races, enjoy them more than the running but if they go well, I'll take on with the marathon.
Those adventure races look really tough, I know a lad who did gaelforce and was out for about 6 hours, thats an awful long time to be out on your feet. You need the experience of one before chasing a time, I was a bit naive thinking about times when hadn't experienced what a marathon had to offer first. Need to run last 3 or 4 miles of the 20 milers at marathon race pace to get the body used to running at that speed with that many miles on the clock. Had been doing 7 half min miles in training for 21 miles but 6.52s which are needed for sub 3 are a different story altogether! Dying to get back out again, even though stairs are still sore from last monday! :D

Bingo

By all accounts they are tough but I enjoy the different elements to it, the cycling often covers alot of the distance/time. I'll target a few duathlons in the spring and the Gaelforce North in early summr before Gaelforce West in August.

I know a lad who took into running this year and over the last few months set himself for the marathon, some of the other marathons runners took him for a 20 miler about 3 weeks back and it broke him, he took a lift at about mile 18 and was out on his feet. He didn't do the marathon as he "didn't want to look like a dying c**t over the last few miles"  :D He'd be entitled to look how he wanted, no doubt he'll do it next year with more running in the years, he'd be an ignornat whore and won't settle now till he gets one in.

Never mind your stairs, Gerry Duffy was telling one of the lads that he is still struggling with mornings since his DECA Ironmans.

ballinaman

I had a look at miy pictures and it's safe to say i looked like a dying c**t  :D
Also didn't look great for people to come to see a Physio on Tuesday morning and here's me struggling to get out of the chair and move around the room trying to demonstrate exercises :D

Gerry is a legend, met him a a race in Mayo a couple of months ago and before the marathon,be good to chat to him again in Castleblaney.

Bingo

Quote from: ballinaman on November 04, 2011, 11:44:57 AM
I had a look at miy pictures and it's safe to say i looked like a dying c**t  :D
Also didn't look great for people to come to see a Physio on Tuesday morning and here's me struggling to get out of the chair and move around the room trying to demonstrate exercises :D

Gerry is a legend, met him a a race in Mayo a couple of months ago and before the marathon,be good to chat to him again in Castleblaney.

He is indeed, no doubt you've read his book - Who Dares runs? He is also trying to get Ken, his 32 marathons running partner, to run the 5km with him, apparently Ken hasn't done any running since it.

Rois

Quote from: ballinaman on November 03, 2011, 10:07:07 PM
3.22 in the end. Bang on target for  sub 3 till 17 miles and then got cramps/pain like I've never felt before in all my years of running races. Was in bits!Defo underestimated it, savage experience, some challenge. The experience of the 1st one under the belt and tweak the training,I'm going to give it a serious crack in Belfast next May. Chippers and pints for the next two weeks and then back at it again! :D

Briilliant!  Congrats.

I have NO intentions of ever doing a full marathon but I'll be back for the Dublin half next year.  I wish there was a half in the Belfast marathon, since there's everything else...

ballinaman

Great read. Bought it on Saturday off him at the Marathon expo and had it read before the race on monday. He's a serious runner as well, did 2.55 in his debut marathon in Edinburgh. Be good coup to have the both of them up.

Sound Rois. There is a half in Edinburgh. You say that now but the marathon will get ya...eventually... :D

the Deel Rover

Quote from: ballinaman on November 03, 2011, 10:26:09 PM

Really?Bollox, thought it was supposed to be a nice enough course. Ya, the pacers on Monday were class. I was in the 3 hour group till 17, was like being in the peloton in the Tour de France!! Had to leave them go when the pain started, soul destroying to be passed by the 3.15 group at 21 miles but i dug deep and promised meself that i'd use the experience.

Aye, glad to have the 1st one out of the way. I've always been a 5k, 10K runner but the marathon is a different animal altogether. Gets ya because I'll have that 3.22 hanging over me for months until can get another go at it.

What time would you be running 5k and 10k in Ballinaman ? I have started back myself and would be interested to see how slow i'm running in comparison to some of ye boyo's :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

ballinaman

Quote from: the Deel Rover on November 04, 2011, 04:39:23 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on November 03, 2011, 10:26:09 PM

What time would you be running 5k and 10k in Ballinaman ? I have started back myself and would be interested to see how slow i'm running in comparison to some of ye boyo's :D
First off i wouldn't be bothered about other peoples time if you have started back, just enjoy it and don't put too much emphasis on times. My PB's were back when I was 17 and training like a mad yoke. PB for 5K was 15.42 and 10K is 35.17. Would be happy with sub 18 in the Castleblaney 5k, haven't done a tap of short speed work for months.

Orior

Did my first ever 5k ParkRun this morning.

http://www.parkrun.org.uk/waterworks/course

Very embarrassing time, but less than 26 mins
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians