League tables for schools

Started by Milltown Row2, February 04, 2014, 02:19:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

CD

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 04, 2014, 02:19:13 PM

How good is your local school?

http://trinitymirrordataresources.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/northern-ireland-schools-gadget.html

I hope that nobody in NI uses data like this to guide them in their choice of school for their children. Data like this doesn't give any context - how many Newcomer, Special Needs etc - some schools conveniently don't include data that affects figures. It's corruptible and because our Grammar schools know it goes on the public domain, it is corrupted. Take it with a pinch of salt!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: CD on February 04, 2014, 02:25:07 PM

http://trinitymirrordataresources.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/northern-ireland-schools-gadget.html

I hope that nobody in NI uses data like this to guide them in their choice of school for their children. Data like this doesn't give any context - how many Newcomer, Special Needs etc - some schools conveniently don't include data that affects figures. It's corruptible and because our Grammar schools know it goes on the public domain, it is corrupted. Take it with a pinch of salt!

I think most people know which schools are best for their kids, I would only send my kids to the school that best suits their needs, i.e local and what matches their ability. A lot of kids develop later in life and do very well in the secondary environment but wouldn't have done as well in the Grammar schools
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

My Alma Mater is 2nd .... Derry 1 & 2 leading the way in terms of best school's!

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: screenexile on February 04, 2014, 03:10:32 PM
My Alma Mater is 2nd .... Derry 1 & 2 leading the way in terms of best school's!

Was Sister Immaculata there in your time SE, I see she was buried at the weekend, Her and McCartney were far from the worst to be in charge of a school

Orior

That data is for last year, and the second place is down to the legacy of the previous principal. Watch out for a big drop in this current year.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

CD

Quote from: hardstation on February 04, 2014, 08:12:36 PM

Aye, this is the type of thing you hear teachers say when their school does shite. Then a couple of years later, the school does well and these tables are the be all and end all. You'll get a full page spread in the Irish News of how the school has turned it around. Complemented with a lovely picture of the Principal grinning like a Chesire cat behind his/her desk.

They haven't done shite - they just keep the picture poor enough to get the place pumped full of additional funding whilst not quite shite enough to be the subject of investigation or intervention. It's a fine balancing act and one at which NI principals seem to be adept!
The schools that clearly need looked at are these so called elite grammar schools who received the creme de la creme of pupils with A grades in year 8 and 5-10% of these kids aren't getting 7+ GCSEs at A-C. Surely these children have been failed!
Who's a bit of a moaning Michael tonight!

Gaffer

Quote from: CD on February 04, 2014, 10:21:33 PM
Quote from: hardstation on February 04, 2014, 08:12:36 PM

Aye, this is the type of thing you hear teachers say when their school does shite. Then a couple of years later, the school does well and these tables are the be all and end all. You'll get a full page spread in the Irish News of how the school has turned it around. Complemented with a lovely picture of the Principal grinning like a Chesire cat behind his/her desk.

They haven't done shite - they just keep the picture poor enough to get the place pumped full of additional funding whilst not quite shite enough to be the subject of investigation or intervention. It's a fine balancing act and one at which NI principals seem to be adept!
The schools that clearly need looked at are these so called elite grammar schools who received the creme de la creme of pupils with A grades in year 8 and 5-10% of these kids aren't getting 7+ GCSEs at A-C. Surely these children have been failed!

And another reason these 'elite' grammars should be investigated is that they fail to differentiate their lessons to cope with the different abilities in the classroom. they feel that it is up to the pupils to 'keep up'

You often hear a pupil being described as 'not being fit for such and such a grammar school. A pupil should be fit for any school. It is the professional responsibility of the teachers to adapt the lessons to suit his/her ability
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

ONeill

This is class.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rois

Quote from: ONeill on February 04, 2014, 11:29:42 PM

This is class.
You can see why it missed out on top spot - I blame the English teachers

THE MIGHTY QUINN

This is class.
What makes it so class is that it would have been easier to type it without the apostrophe. It actually took a bit of effort to get it wrong.

stibhan

These results are very easily rigged by schools.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: stibhan on February 05, 2014, 08:30:57 AM
These results are very easily rigged by schools.

So they make up that students get or don't get A-C grades?

Minder

Quote from: THE MIGHTY QUINN on February 05, 2014, 07:43:39 AM
This is class.
What makes it so class is that it would have been easier to type it without the apostrophe. It actually took a bit of effort to get it wrong.

Or it could have been predictive text and he wasn't that arsed about fixing it.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

bigball

These 2 schools have the highest rates of dropout when their students go to university. Pushed, mollycoddled and spoon fed all their way through school, then can't cope when it comes to surviving on their own in the big world.