Unionist/Orange/ Loyalist tradition/culture

Started by Gaoth Dobhair Abu, July 03, 2008, 01:45:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

What is your idea of unionist (inc. orange and loyalist) tradition?
Do they actually have any?
Or is it being made up as we speak?
Tbc....

Denn Forever

Are you trying to start a fight?  Why is Salthill and tourist places full of people from NI around the 12th July.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

ziggysego

You've a bit of a bee in your bonnet tonight sir. Of course they've a culture, just not one you or I can identity with. No doubt some would say the same about the Irish culture. I say let them get on with it, as long as they don't try to use it use it to intimidate others and impose themselves on others.
Testing Accessibility

Fishbat

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on July 03, 2008, 01:45:00 AM
What is your idea of unionist (inc. orange and loyalist) tradition?
Do they actually have any?
Or is it being made up as we speak?

Its not really a culture in that it only exists to oppose Gaelic culture - we all know that if the north was suddenly fenianless these parades would cease, flegs would be nowhere to be seen, not a bowler hat nor stiff arse in sight.   How in the name of god can ye base your entire life and thinkings on a foreign skirmish over 300 yrs ago and call it culture

false principles based purely on hatred for Irishness

and thats why you'll not see a parade on Rathlin - the Puffins just don't give a f*ck.........now if they were fenian Puffins....well..

Have all ye Prods quit talking to your neighbours yet?  must be near that time for a harrumph or a growl instead of good morning

Orior

As per a letter in the belfast telegraph last night unionist culture is either

a) Milton, Shakespeare, Handel, Vaughn Williams, Keats and Shelley

or

b) the 'right' to paint kerbstones, sectarian murals, sectarian parades etc
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

An Fear Rua

Its Grim up North

EC Unique

Quote from: ziggysego on July 03, 2008, 01:57:07 AM
You've a bit of a bee in your bonnet tonight sir. Of course they've a culture, just not one you or I can identity with. No doubt some would say the same about the Irish culture. I say let them get on with it, as long as they don't try to use it use it to intimidate others and impose themselves on others.

On Tuesday night Ballygawley was effectly closed down for approx 3 hours while 'they' paraded up and down the street. If people who lived on the street wanted to get out in their car it was hard luck.. I would count this as Intimidation and imposing themselves on others. Bear in mind that Ballygawley is about 95% Catholic. No fun to parade where it is mostly protestant!! ::)

An Fear Rua

why dont the 95% do something about it then??
Its Grim up North

EC Unique

ziggysego

Quote from: EC Unique on July 03, 2008, 09:46:03 AM

On Tuesday night Ballygawley was effectly closed down for approx 3 hours while 'they' paraded up and down the street. If people who lived on the street wanted to get out in their car it was hard luck.. I would count this as Intimidation and imposing themselves on others. Bear in mind that Ballygawley is about 95% Catholic. No fun to parade where it is mostly protestant!! ::)

Well that's one of the areas I would have a problem with it. They really need to talk with the local people and come to some kind of arrange that everyone is happy with. Shutting a town down for 3 hours is crazy.
Testing Accessibility

An Fear Rua

Quote from: EC Unique on July 03, 2008, 09:58:07 AM
Quote from: An Fear Rua on July 03, 2008, 09:54:16 AM
why dont the 95% do something about it then??

What do you suggest?

I would suggest that you look at forming a committee/public forum/group or similar to investigate the legal precedent if any to apply to have these stopped as they are unwelcome, and if that fails move to the next stage...Maybe ask your parents how their generation went about raising their concerns....
Its Grim up North

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Ah but Ziggy, I'm asking a question, which I'm really interested in seeing what the members of this board think about.
If you think that they have a culture then what do you think distingushes it from "us"?
Also is it a culture or just traditions
Tbc....

ziggysego

Just upbringing GDA, sure who knows what I'd be doing if I was from the Hospital Road or from East of the Bann. As John Hume said 'You cannot eat a flag'
Testing Accessibility

Uladh

There aren't many uses left in a modern society for the gatling gun but marching season is one.

downredblack

Quote from: ziggysego on July 03, 2008, 11:03:19 AM
Just upbringing GDA, sure who knows what I'd be doing if I was from the Hospital Road or from East of the Bann. As John Hume said 'You cannot eat a flag'

You can fly it but you can't fry it .