Catholic nonsense

Started by seafoid, September 30, 2016, 09:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 30, 2016, 11:49:10 AM
Quote from: Hardy on September 30, 2016, 11:06:09 AM
Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 30, 2016, 11:02:44 AM
What breed is the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world?

Dunno, but he appears to be deaf.

Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world,
have mercy on us.
have mercy on us.
grant us peace.

Or:
Lord have mercy  Lord have mercy
Christ have mercy  Christ have mercy
Lord have mercy  Lord have mercy

What's the difference? The midway change of foot could be detrimental, where Lord is hacked off that you hopped off to Christ and then Christ is annoyed you went back to Lord?
The more you analyse it, the more pitfalls you find.

Are they not one and the same person?

I never did get that holy trinity thing, even with the Shamrock analogy!

Orior

Quote from: Hardy on September 30, 2016, 10:37:08 AM
Quote from: Orior on September 30, 2016, 10:07:38 AM
The Church does not change doctrine to align itself with fashion or popular opinion.

Why have hell, purgatory, limbo, indulgences, the Six Commandments of the Church, fast days, self flagellation, etc, disappeared from the narrative, then? Limbo officially abolished, I think and the others just not mentioned any more. What was the motivation for these changes, if not aligning with the zeitgeist? Unless there was some peer-reviewed research that discovered limbo didn't exist after all, like it was discovered that Pluto isn't a planet anymore?

I have no idea chief. I was only quoting what a priest once told me.

We would need a member of the clergy to answer these questions. Do you mind if I post these on a catholic church discussion board?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

StephenC

Hail, holy Queen, Mother of mercy, hail, our life, our sweetness and our hope. To thee we cry, poor banished children of Eve. To thee we send up our sighs, mourning and weeping in this valley of tears.

All of this stuff fits the thread title.

seafoid

The whole mercy thing. Why do we need mercy?  If we were born sinners because we came via vaginas and not the ether how is it our fault ?

LCohen

Quote from: seafoid on September 30, 2016, 12:34:13 PM
The whole mercy thing. Why do we need mercy?  If we were born sinners because we came via vaginas and not the ether how is it our fault ?

Excellent point. Is the original sin thing exclusive to catholics or is the belief in it a wider chrisitian thing?

How do catholics justify it? Surely they know the garden of eden story is just a story? Without it where does orignal sin come from?

More importantly what was god doing impregnating a virgin (in a weird kind of way) to create a son, who was also him (in a weird kind of way involving a third spirity party) so that the son could be murdered (how fucked up is this shit??) so that we could be absolved (which apparently he could do anyway) of a sin that passes from a person that did not exist (and as the all seeing, all powerful creator he presumably knew this??).

The whole thing from premise to dogma to practice is batshit

heganboy

To be very clear on this. It wouldn't be just Catholicism that is "batshit"
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

seafoid

Quote from: LCohen on September 30, 2016, 12:44:06 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 30, 2016, 12:34:13 PM

Excellent point. Is the original sin thing exclusive to catholics or is the belief in it a wider chrisitian thing?

How do catholics justify it? Surely they know the garden of eden story is just a story? Without it where does orignal sin come from?

More importantly what was god doing impregnating a virgin (in a weird kind of way) to create a son, who was also him (in a weird kind of way involving a third spirity party) so that the son could be murdered (how fucked up is this shit??) so that we could be absolved (which apparently he could do anyway) of a sin that passes from a person that did not exist (and as the all seeing, all powerful creator he presumably knew this??).

The whole thing from premise to dogma to practice is batshit
You start from the notion that sex with women is very grubby and unworthy

And you build it from there
Even though that is how the species survives but never mind

God needed some kind of USP
So it had to be a Virgin birth

weareros

Always enjoyed the paradoxical Tertullian quote on faith:

"And the Son of God died: it is by all means to be believed, because it is absurd.
And, buried, He rose again: it is certain, because it is impossible"

The thing is, substitute God for your county at the beginning of every year and it would capture the faith of many a GAA fan.

T Fearon

Serious amount of trolls on this Board.I'd say everyone of you if hit by a bus would be asking for a priest.

Longshanks

Quote from: T Fearon on September 30, 2016, 02:11:31 PM
Serious amount of trolls on this Board.I'd say everyone of you if hit by a bus would be asking for a priest.

Honestly mate you are the last person who should be talking about trolls..

No wides

Quote from: T Fearon on September 30, 2016, 02:11:31 PM

Fair point nothing like a good ass pounding before leaving the mortal world, sorry it's just kids my mistake.

Jim_Murphy_74

Do church still have an interest in women's menstrual cycles?

In 1944, John Charles McQuaid, archbishop of Dublin, wrote to Dr Conn Ward, parliamentary secretary to the minister for local government and public health, and informed him that at the "Low Week meetings of the Bishops, I explained very fully the evidence concerning the use of internal sanitary tampons, in particular, that called Tampax. On the medical evidence made available, the bishops very strongly disapproved of the use of these appliances, more particularly in the case of unmarried persons".

Surely there is still a danger than internal tampons could sexually arouse women, and in particular unmarried women, provoking themselves to do something immoral?

/Jim.

T Fearon

Did you read Fr McAllion's letter in Irish News yesterday.Who is the first person,with an impressive record of success the authorities turn to for Exorcisms?,Yes the local priest.As he says this is evidence of a divine being.

No wides

Quote from: T Fearon on September 30, 2016, 02:22:39 PM
Did you read Fr McAllion's letter in Irish News yesterday.Who is the first person,with an impressive record of success the authorities turn to for Exorcisms?,Yes the local priest.As he says this is evidence of a divine being.

You read a lot of shite in the Irish News this weather, even makes the Bible believable.

theskull1

Great Podcast here from Sam Harris ... reading from his book The End of Faith 

https://soundcloud.com/samharrisorg/46-the-end-of-faith-sessions-3

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera