Catholic nonsense

Started by seafoid, September 30, 2016, 09:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 30, 2016, 02:11:31 PM
Serious amount of trolls on this Board.I'd say everyone of you if hit by a bus would be asking for a priest.

That post is an example. I for one would not ask for priest any more than I was ask for a faith healer. Your evidence to the contrary is either the delusional ramblings of a lunatic or the klondyke of data you are about to unleash........

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 30, 2016, 02:22:39 PM
Did you read Fr McAllion's letter in Irish News yesterday.Who is the first person,with an impressive record of success the authorities turn to for Exorcisms?,Yes the local priest.As he says this is evidence of a divine being.

I didn't read it so enlighten me. Who are these authorities? Are they not be definition self selecting i.e people of faith. People of faith see a resolution in faith. People who do not believe in spirits do not see an explanation of the problem in spiritualism nor a spiritualist as the source of the resolution. So what is the point your spiritualism comrade was trying to make?

seafoid

What is exorcism about anyway? Is it schizophrenia or are there really demons sent by the devil, whoever that is ? Why would the devil attack someone in Co Monaghan, for example? Is it like computer viruses?

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on September 30, 2016, 01:27:18 PM
Quote from: LCohen on September 30, 2016, 12:44:06 PM
Quote from: seafoid on September 30, 2016, 12:34:13 PM
The whole mercy thing. Why do we need mercy?  If we were born sinners because we came via vaginas and not the ether how is it our fault ?

Excellent point. Is the original sin thing exclusive to catholics or is the belief in it a wider chrisitian thing?

How do catholics justify it? Surely they know the garden of eden story is just a story? Without it where does orignal sin come from?

More importantly what was god doing impregnating a virgin (in a weird kind of way) to create a son, who was also him (in a weird kind of way involving a third spirity party) so that the son could be murdered (how fucked up is this shit??) so that we could be absolved (which apparently he could do anyway) of a sin that passes from a person that did not exist (and as the all seeing, all powerful creator he presumably knew this??).

The whole thing from premise to dogma to practice is batshit
You start from the notion that sex with women is very grubby and unworthy

And you build it from there
Even though that is how the species survives but never mind

God needed some kind of USP
So it had to be a Virgin birth

Seafoid,

Your just making things up again

Leonard,

Call it original sin, call it temptation, call it human nature, call it whatever you want. We have parts of our makeup that are contrary to what is good and right, such as selfishness, greed etc. We each have a choice whether or not to submit to them or take the moral path. Thats what original sin is for me, You dont have to Catholic to believe in it or Christian or even theist. Some people believe morals dont exist, tho  your second paragraph on Jesus would suggest you do since "shit is fucked up". So presuming you do believe in them perhaps you would explain what you believe they are and where they came from  and how we came about to have a choice in them?

How do you know its BS or do you just believe it is?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: T Fearon on September 30, 2016, 02:11:31 PM
Serious amount of trolls on this Board.I'd say everyone of you if hit by a bus would be asking for a priest.
If i was hit by a bus I am more likely to ask for a doctor, but maybe that's just me?  :-\
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

seafoid

The whole mercy thing. Why do we need mercy?  If we were born sinners because we came via vaginas and not the ether how is it our fault ?

Excellent point. Is the original sin thing exclusive to catholics or is the belief in it a wider chrisitian thing?

How do catholics justify it? Surely they know the garden of eden story is just a story? Without it where does orignal sin come from?

More importantly what was god doing impregnating a virgin (in a weird kind of way) to create a son, who was also him (in a weird kind of way involving a third spirity party) so that the son could be murdered (how fucked up is this shit??) so that we could be absolved (which apparently he could do anyway) of a sin that passes from a person that did not exist (and as the all seeing, all powerful creator he presumably knew this??).

Guilt and blame seem to be very catholic
I think sin is too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAYdc2_Y82w

"We weren't lost and we didn't need any book"
It always good to get the view of the pariahs.....

seafoid

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 30, 2016, 03:30:14 PM

Seafoid,

Leonard,

Call it original sin, call it temptation, call it human nature, call it whatever you want. We have parts of our makeup that are contrary to what is good and right, such as selfishness, greed etc. We each have a choice whether or not to submit to them or take the moral path. Thats what original sin is for me, You dont have to Catholic to believe in it or Christian or even theist. Some people believe morals dont exist, tho  your second paragraph on Jesus would suggest you do since "shit is fucked up". So presuming you do believe in them perhaps you would explain what you believe they are and where they came from  and how we came about to have a choice in them?

Joe

Every religion has a USP and something out of this world to get the people in
Islam has the horse that Mohamed flew on from Mecca to Jerusalem
We can't prove any of it. We can just decide whether or not to believe it

lurganblue

I'm hardly an avid mass goer, but now when I do go I feel like I'm a child again.  They've changed all the feckin words and I'm too old to sit down and have to learn them again.  Why the change? Were we doing it wrong beforehand?

T Fearon

If any other subject was described as 'nonsense' the thread would be pulled and if not the deeply offensive posts would attract bans for the perpetrarors.Sadly on this Board as everywhere else,Catholics are fair game it seems.Sad all the same.

cuconnacht

Did you read Fr McAllion's letter in Irish News yesterday.Who is the first person,with an impressive record of success the authorities turn to for Exorcisms?,Yes the local priest.As he says this is evidence of a divine being.

Fair enough.We can now remedy some of the mysticisms right down to the QED.
1.What is the telephone number of this local priest ?
2. Where do you live ?

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on September 30, 2016, 03:40:08 PM

Joe

Every religion has a USP and something out of this world to get the people in
Islam has the horse that Mohamed flew on from Mecca to Jerusalem
We can't prove any of it. We can just decide whether or not to believe it

I was more talking about your sex comment..

USP??  Religion exists in the first place because of faith not the other way around, Religion is simply a reflection of that faith

easytiger95

Sorry, what authorities are turning to exorcisms? Local authorities?

"That drain is blocked, completely fooked. Anyone any ideas?"

".....is there anything to be said for an auld exorcism?"

"Fair dues, brilliant idea. Now get the kettle on until the priest gets here."

And also, why wouldn't the first person you'd turn to for an exorcism be a priest? Are they doing them down in Halfords now? Surely all that demonstrates is cop on rather than faith?

Indeed isn't the very definition of faith trying to get an exorcism in the yellow pages? Intellectually, you know it shouldn't work but you still do it anyway.

"Howya Tony, what can I get you, a pint is it?"

"Yeah, and throw us on an exorcism as well."

"But I'm a barman."

"I know that, but I still have faith in you...and a short one while you're at it."

omaghjoe

Quote from: easytiger95 on September 30, 2016, 04:12:33 PM

Sorry, what authorities are turning to exorcisms? Local authorities?

"That drain is blocked, completely fooked. Anyone any ideas?"

".....is there anything to be said for an auld exorcism?"

"Fair dues, brilliant idea. Now get the kettle on until the priest gets here."

And also, why wouldn't the first person you'd turn to for an exorcism be a priest? Are they doing them down in Halfords now? Surely all that demonstrates is cop on rather than faith?

Indeed isn't the very definition of faith trying to get an exorcism in the yellow pages? Intellectually, you know it shouldn't work but you still do it anyway.

"Howya Tony, what can I get you, a pint is it?"

"Yeah, and throw us on an exorcism as well."

"But I'm a barman."

"I know that, but I still have faith in you...and a short one while you're at it."

A barman or a brahman  :P

LCohen

Quote from: omaghjoe on September 30, 2016, 03:30:14 PM

Seafoid,

Leonard,

Joe

Are you saying that this what Catholicism teaches original sin is and that it has backed away from the garden of eden, scriptural base and the whole passing down the genetic line business? Or are you suggesting that catholics don't believe in catholicism or are you just telling us what you believe and the mass ranks of catholics (the subject matter of the thread) believe something else?

As for morals. Call them morals, ethics, an understanding of consequence and of rights and wrongs or whatever you want. There is very sound evidence that they exist and very good explanations as to where they come from that do not need a god as either the creator or the overseer. Empathy does not need a god but it can explain positive behaviours. Kinship doesn't need a god. It fits perfectly well with darwinism. Grouped societies have their basis in genetic groupings. Behaviours originally encouraged, valued and rewarded in genetic groupings are now established and encouraged, valued and rewarded in non-family groupings.

LCohen

Quote from: T Fearon on September 30, 2016, 03:57:17 PM
If any other subject was described as 'nonsense' the thread would be pulled and if not the deeply offensive posts would attract bans for the perpetrarors.Sadly on this Board as everywhere else,Catholics are fair game it seems.Sad all the same.

Give me an example of a deeply offensive post on this thread