Catholic nonsense

Started by seafoid, September 30, 2016, 09:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Say you went to mass after a long hiatus and you listened to the words in a different way.

One of my favourites is "Jesus and Mary and Joseph assist me now and in my last agony. "
You could  die very pleasantly.

Another one is "do not consider what we truly deserve but look on the faith of your church"

Surely it is high time for a new metric. And what do we truly deserve? What did we do to deserve it?

Orior

The Church does not change doctrine to align itself with fashion or popular opinion.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

johnneycool

Quote from: Orior on September 30, 2016, 10:07:38 AM
The Church does not change doctrine to align itself with fashion or popular opinion.

How long can you receive communion between confessions?

I always thought it was 4 weeks when I was frogmarched up to confessions on a monthly basis, but was talking to a friend about this, regular receiver of the sacrament and she told me she goes to confession about every 6 months.

What are the guidelines?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: johnneycool on September 30, 2016, 10:32:20 AM

I always thought it was 4 weeks when I was frogmarched up to confessions on a monthly basis, but was talking to a friend about this, regular receiver of the sacrament and she told me she goes to confession about every 6 months.

What are the guidelines?

is confessions still going on?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hardy

Why have hell, purgatory, limbo, indulgences, the Six Commandments of the Church, fast days, self flagellation, etc, disappeared from the narrative, then? Limbo officially abolished, I think and the others just not mentioned any more. What was the motivation for these changes, if not aligning with the zeitgeist? Unless there was some peer-reviewed research that discovered limbo didn't exist after all, like it was discovered that Pluto isn't a planet anymore?

Hardy

I forgot about the torture. That's not big in fashion or popular opinion right now.

johnneycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 30, 2016, 10:35:27 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on September 30, 2016, 10:32:20 AM

What are the guidelines?

is confessions still going on?

I think so, the wee girl had her first one last year.

Bord na Mona man

What breed is the lamb of God who takes away the sins of the world?

Hardy

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 30, 2016, 11:02:44 AM

Dunno, but he appears to be deaf.

Lamb of God, you take away the sins of the world,
have mercy on us.
have mercy on us.
grant us peace.

seafoid

Slow to anger and rich in mercy. It must be some sort of Suffolk

LCohen

When you are asked to reject satan, his works and all his empty promises should dome sort of laminated sheet be passed around outlining these works and promises? Surely it is wrong to dismiss men without considering them?

When the bloke in the dress stands in front of a grieving family who have lost their child recites the line "God in his wisdom took him/her ...." I think they should outline the nature and benefit of his particular brand of wisdom

Excommunication? What are the rules on that one? Sleep with someone of the same gender wand they want you out.

Abuse a child and get sent to Uruguay or the philipines. No excommunicated for many.
Facilitate an abuser and stay, work on to retirement age, keep your title and full pension. No excommunication
Hide assets so abuse victims cannot claim compensation and well, we don't talk about that one. No excommunication

Anyone who agrees that these outcomes are just or moral hasn't the right to dine with the humans

First confession should be re-labelled First & Last Confession

StephenC

Limbo left in limbo now. Real shame.

Bord na Mona man

'Our lady of perpetual soccer' - 2,000 years ago they predicted expanded Uefa competitions.

seafoid

Quote from: LCohen on September 30, 2016, 11:27:00 AM
When you are asked to reject satan, his works and all his empty promises should dome sort of laminated sheet be passed around outlining these works and promises? Surely it is wrong to dismiss men without considering them?

Satan and all his empty promises always remind me of Rupert Murdoch

the antisemitism in the doctrine is very subtle as well.
those effin Pharisees

And why did Judas get such a bad rap? Wasn't he just fulfilling Scripture? If he hadn't done it we would not be destined for Heaven. Give the man a break.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Hardy on September 30, 2016, 11:06:09 AM

Dunno, but he appears to be deaf.

have mercy on us.
have mercy on us.
grant us peace.

Or:
Lord have mercy  Lord have mercy
Christ have mercy  Christ have mercy
Lord have mercy  Lord have mercy

What's the difference? The midway change of foot could be detrimental, where Lord is hacked off that you hopped off to Christ and then Christ is annoyed you went back to Lord?
The more you analyse it, the more pitfalls you find.