Tour de France 2009

Started by ONeill, July 02, 2009, 01:12:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No way ref

Quote from: ONeill on July 08, 2009, 12:30:49 AM
Quote from: Minder on July 07, 2009, 11:11:00 PM
Does Armstrongs chemist get a yellow jersey too if he wins the tour again?

Why do you say that?

Armstrong has beaten all comers in his seven year winning run and most of those he beat have all tested positive for EPO at some stage. It's hard to believe that an athlete who takes nothing illegal can continually beat the worlds best who are all taking the best chemical aids money can buy.
Seems a bit crazy

ONeill

Quoteand most of those he beat have all tested positive for EPO at some stage.

Really? That's quite a lot, and a bit confusing too.

Our society really is riddled with the British tabloid 'let's think the worst of people' attitude. You saw it in Jackson's death, you see it with Armstrong. With no proof, and even when the evidence appears clear-cut, people refuse to accept that some are better than others.

Armstrong is the most tested cyclist out there. Can you not simply put it down to the fact that he perhaps has more ability in that discipline than others. Is Phelps also on drugs? Carl Lewis, Federer, Red Rum...

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

gallsman

Quote from: ONeill on July 08, 2009, 01:22:48 AM

Our society really is riddled with the British tabloid 'let's think the worst of people' attitude. You saw it in Jackson's death, you see it with Armstrong. With no proof, and even when the evidence appears clear-cut, people refuse to accept that some are better than others.

Armstrong is the most tested cyclist out there. Can you not simply put it down to the fact that he perhaps has more ability in that discipline than others. Is Phelps also on drugs? Carl Lewis, Federer, Red Rum...

Hmmm, I thought it was shown that he'd tested positive at the US trials before either LA or Seoul and US Track & Field decided to cover it up.

maddog

Impressive form by the Astana team in the team time trial, quite a difficult discipline on such a tricky course. Todays stage down to perpignan 196.5km looks set up for Cavendish again but with him looking unbeatable in a bunch sprint other teams are bound to be sending guys on long breakways to try and slip the field. They wont hand it on a plate to Cavendish everyday.
Armstrong is looking good but noticed he seemed to be struggling at times in the final few Km of the team TT. The first mountain stage on Friday will tell us where Armstrong is at. I suppose if he doesnt win he will have to try a new drug. ::)

magpie seanie

Quote from: ONeill on July 08, 2009, 01:22:48 AM

You're dead right here O'Neill. Its a sort of "if someone appears to be doing better than you its because they are cheating or whatever. The antithesis to the American view of life which I believe is much healthier.

Declan

Anyone hear Paul Kimmage on off the ball last night??

ONeill

Quote from: gallsman on July 08, 2009, 09:04:36 AM

Hmmm, I thought it was shown that he'd tested positive at the US trials before either LA or Seoul and US Track & Field decided to cover it up.

Really? It was shown that he covered up a positive test? Tell me more.

ONeill

Declan

ludermor

Has Armstrong ever sued anybody who made the drug allegations against him?

ONeill

He has received many out of court settlements.

There's some quota of hacks out there to get him and they do seem to be honest in their conviction that he is a doper.

Declan

QuoteHas Armstrong ever sued anybody who made the drug allegations against him?

This is an excerpt from that Walsh interview re the settlement case with hte Sunday Times.

From way back, when Lance sent his lawyer Timothy Herman to London to settle with the Sunday Times, to effectively make sure the case was never heard in open court, the guy who worked for the Sunday Times and was negotiating for the Sunday Times was the managing editor Richard Caseby. Richard and Timothy Herman sat down and thrashed out an agreement. When the agreement was completed, Herman said to Richard, "This was never going to court."And Richard said something to the effect of why not? And Herman said, "Lance has long term political ambitions, and this would not have been helpful, going to court and having all this stuff out there."

maddog

Quote from: ONeill on July 08, 2009, 11:16:54 AM
He has received many out of court settlements.

There's some quota of hacks out there to get him and they do seem to be honest in their conviction that he is a doper.

The old green eyed french media are non too fond of him. You have to go back to 85 for the end of their golden era 75-85 (only interupted by the pesky Zoetmelk in 1980). And it kills them, as it did when Lemond broke the mould in 86 being the first English speaking rider to win it.

gallsman

Quote from: ONeill on July 08, 2009, 10:39:16 AM
Quote from: gallsman on July 08, 2009, 09:04:36 AM

Really? It was shown that he covered up a positive test? Tell me more.

I didn't say Lewis covered it up, did I? I said USATF did. Which was wrong, as it was the US Olympic Committee. He tested positive three times before Seoul, but was cleared after he claimed "inadvertent use". Nevertheless, no record of the failed tests appeared for another fifteen years, which seems to perfectly fit in with the definition of "cover up".

ONeill

I thought it was more that he actually was banned for taking some kind of cough mixture but he appealed it and it was overturned.