Presbyterian Mutual Society asks for help!!!!

Started by Jimmy Joe, January 30, 2009, 09:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Presbyterians allegedly believe in the Bible and its denunciation of wealth.

Therefore they should fear not as the good book says the Lord will provide, and they are better off spiritually without riches or money in any event. ;D

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: nifan on January 30, 2009, 11:05:28 AM
They use that building for loads of conferences etc so they may actually make some profit with it anyway GDA.

Hmm wanting cake and eating it come to mind!

Sorry but if that building is an asset then surely they should sell it to help out the poor old Holywood dears - it would be the Christian thing to do.
Tbc....

SidelineKick

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 30, 2009, 01:10:22 PM
I know prods that say "haitch" and catholics that say "aitch". What are we to do about them?!

I've never heard anyone say Mack-er-a! Is this a myth?!

Indeed it is not! Mackera and Mackerafelt! Only "they" would say it though, and not all of them.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Gnevin

Quote from: T Fearon on January 30, 2009, 01:12:14 PM

Therefore they should fear not as the good book says the Lord will provide, and they are better off spiritually without riches or money in any event. ;D
Tony you really are a hateful piece of work, who can't see beyond their blinkered point of view. If this place goes under the ripples which it will spread out in to the economy will not ask your religion .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Gnevin on January 30, 2009, 01:17:24 PM

Tony you really are a hateful peace of work, who can't see beyond their blinkered point of view. If this place goes under the ripples which it will spread out in to the economy will not ask your religion .
Well spotted!

SidelineKick

Quote from: Gnevin on January 30, 2009, 01:17:24 PM

Tony you really are a hateful peace of work, who can't see beyond their blinkered point of view. If this place goes under the ripples which it will spread out in to the economy will not ask your religion .

Indeed.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Maguire01

His earlier reference to 'cult followers' wasn't in best taste either, but unfortunately you come to expect it.

lfdown2

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 30, 2009, 12:46:49 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on January 30, 2009, 12:21:06 PM
how does a bank refuse deposits because of a persons religious beliefs??
Presumably because it's a society and not a bank. The clue being in the name.

apologies maguire, not all as bright as yourself, does this mean a building society could refuse deposit on account of race religion sex etc?

haranguerer

The compensation scheme only applies to organisations regulated by the FSA, this wasn't.

While not wishing to find humour in the misfortune of others (honest...), it was a little amusing to see one interview with a family affected - they'd been faithful and staunch presbyterians all their lives, but now this presbyterian organisation had lost their money, they were strongly considering converting!  :o

Mebbe its Gods way of making sure they all get into heaven - eye of a needle and all that. :P

I still think there should be a bailout of some sort, even as a gesture, and I'd love it if help came from the south and not gordon brown. That could do more for a united ireland than anything else - its funny what money can do!

Maguire01

Quote from: lfdown2 on January 30, 2009, 01:26:11 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on January 30, 2009, 12:46:49 PM
Quote from: lfdown2 on January 30, 2009, 12:21:06 PM
how does a bank refuse deposits because of a persons religious beliefs??
Presumably because it's a society and not a bank. The clue being in the name.

apologies maguire, not all as bright as yourself, does this mean a building society could refuse deposit on account of race religion sex etc?
It wasn't my intention to be rude - maybe i should have had one of these  :P as sarcasm doesn't always come across.

I think this probably answers your other query:
Quote from: haranguerer on January 30, 2009, 01:31:30 PM
The compensation scheme only applies to organisations regulated by the FSA, this wasn't.
High street banks and building societies are regulated.

nifan

Quote from: Hereiam on January 30, 2009, 12:41:49 PM
Sorry NI fan that doesn't wash my son, any one I know that have money in this are property developers/contractors who have went bust, yes there is probably people who have saving in this but I can bet you they knnew what there savings were been used for.

How many do you know? How many private investors was there.

"they knnew what there savings were been used for."

and what was that - that story you told us earlier about keeping the catholics down? Where did you hear that one?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on January 30, 2009, 12:55:14 PM
Why would any Catholic choose to deposit money in a specifically Protestant institution when there are numerous secular banks and credit unions?
Why wouldnt they if the interest rate was very enticing ?
Would it be that they were not allowed ?

heganboy

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

YogiBear

Did some laughing when I first heard the Presbyterian Mutual Society was gone bust and am still laughing, God works in mysterious ways but they shouldnt worry read the bible and they will be grand.

nifan

Quoteany one I know that have money in this are property developers/contractors who have went bust,

I read it has 10,000 investors, I am sure they where not all evil property developers/contractors