Men in Black --Referee Documentary on Setanta

Started by Gold, July 28, 2015, 11:09:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

Anyone see this on Setanta Freeview?

Watched 2 of the episodes. First Followed Barry Kelly the Westmeath Hurling Referee and 2nd followed Allain Rolland the Rugby Referee.

Both were miked up during matches so you could hear what they said to players-- Kelly was brilliant, chatting away to players and slagging them etc--fantastic refereeing I thought--nothing like the shite we get (a lot of the time) in club games.

Rolland was top class too--chatting away to players--all players knew both men knew what they were on about and didn't really answer back. Absolutely fantastic show.

My view is that in local gaa some refs can defo favour some teams over another. You don't know what refs are thinking etc--in this programme the Ref's communication was fantastic.
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Canalman

Very good programmes alright.

Watch out also for another Setanta programme/ documentary about an Irish professional poker player. Jaw dropping stuff.

Also liked the one about the underage soccer team at Home Farm .

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Gold on July 28, 2015, 11:09:36 AM

Watched 2 of the episodes. First Followed Barry Kelly the Westmeath Hurling Referee and 2nd followed Allain Rolland the Rugby Referee.

Both were miked up during matches so you could hear what they said to players-- Kelly was brilliant, chatting away to players and slagging them etc--fantastic refereeing I thought--nothing like the shite we get (a lot of the time) in club games.

Rolland was top class too--chatting away to players--all players knew both men knew what they were on about and didn't really answer back. Absolutely fantastic show.

My view is that in local gaa some refs can defo favour some teams over another. You don't know what refs are thinking etc--in this programme the Ref's communication was fantastic.
I hate referees using the first name of some players on one team, and not on another.
It creates a perceived bias in my opinion

You either use all their names, or none at all.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Gold on July 28, 2015, 11:09:36 AM

Hey some referees talk to players but the amount of crap referee's get from players on how to referee would melt your brain
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea