Laois Divisional Championship

Started by Don Draper, September 17, 2018, 10:11:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

The hurlers managed a Senior B championship what is it about the football clubs that makes this so bad. They have already changed the league structure to 1a and 1b.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on October 18, 2018, 11:45:49 AM
The hurlers managed a Senior B championship what is it about the football clubs that makes this so bad. They have already changed the league structure to 1a and 1b.
Senior A if I'm not mistaken.

redsetanta

Senior A, senior B but you know what I mean!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Don Draper

Quote from: redsetanta on October 18, 2018, 12:48:10 PM
Senior A, senior B but you know what I mean!
I do, but thats the point, they wouldn't even accept Senior B.

Downtheroad

Quote from: Don Draper on October 18, 2018, 11:57:21 AM
Senior A is the most ridiculous name for a second tier competition. It's a embarrassment when I hear it mentioned as it should be called what it really is which is intermediate. I reckon a fair few junior Kilkenny clubs would compete in our so called Senior A in hurling. Back to the thread, We should at the very least divide the current Senior championship into 2 and called it Senior B even if to keep clubs happy. At least it would be progress.   

Don Draper

Quote from: Downtheroad on October 18, 2018, 01:00:47 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on October 18, 2018, 11:57:21 AM
Senior A is the most ridiculous name for a second tier competition. It's a embarrassment when I hear it mentioned as it should be called what it really is which is intermediate. I reckon a fair few junior Kilkenny clubs would compete in our so called Senior A in hurling. Back to the thread, We should at the very least divide the current Senior championship into 2 and called it Senior B even if to keep clubs happy. At least it would be progress.
Makes perfect sense. If the Clubs had a clue, they'd go for it too, as it would give a few of them who have been circling the drain for two decades or so, a chance win something and a crack at a Leinster or All Ireland.

From the Terrace

That's a good analogy don. Could't agree more. The county board have got a manager that everyone is happy with i think, It's now time to sort this put it across to the clubs correctly. i for one would be contented we're moving in the right direction.

Laois Rising

I would still like to see the concept of Gaels done away with and simply dividing teams as they are now into A and B won't achieve that.

A streamlined system of 12 senior teams (8 clubs and four divisional), 12 intermediate and 12 junior seems to make logical sense to me. You call re-brand the intermediate as premier A or senior A if that keeps some of the clubs happy. I still can't fathom why they opposed to playing at a level where they can be genuinely competitive and have the possibility of aiming for and winning a county title. I guarantee if the likes of Killeen, Crettyard, Ballyfin, the Heath etc. were all playing one another in an intermediate competition the eventual winners would take immense pride from winning out such a competition and celebrate it appropriately. For 5/6 clubs in Laois every year their goal is to simply avoid relegation. I went through my own playing days in such a scenario and the reality is after a number of years of doing it you grow weary and tiresome of it. Having something to play for that is attainable is far more enjoyable and rewarding for players. Winning championship games and "going on a run" also lifts the spirits in a club, parish and community.

I hope some sense prevails in the near future in relation to restructuring the Laois championship because at present the current system is at best mediocre and not serving clubs or the county team as it should.           

Jd

I think a lot of ideas here would work with the 8 club 4 regional  teams being a particularly  good idea.  But how do you decide the starting format.  The last two intermediate  champions were Emo  and O Dempseys  and both have consolidated their place at senior but the heath have always stayed  up senior.  Ballylinan  were in last year's final but would you say they're better than Port who have done nothing  since the 90s  Stradbally  were last outside of Portlaoise  to win senior but when they're not on a run they can be awful. Graigue are a big club but are they better than Arles who have won a senior when they were playing intermediate.  Courtwood  won intermediate this year and would probably beat more than half of the current  senior  clubs but Arles Killen have been in senior finals in the time they were down as far as junior.  I'm  not being awkward  but every club being sent down can argue that they are better than some club staying up.  I would advocate a gradual process  where two go down every year and 1 comes up or possibly 3 down with the third based on league performance

Laoiseabu

Portlaoise are the king pins,the rest are six in one,half a dozen in the other . No point arguing who's better than who, any any given day any of the others ( besides Portlaoise ) could beat one another . There is definitely too many teams in the senior grade by the way . Needs to be reduced

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Laois Divisional Trial Tournament. 
Round 2, Saturday 20th Oct

West Northwest v North East    Mountmellick: 4.45pm
East Central v South East          Stradbally: 6.30pm

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Unlaoised

West north west were hammered by a North east side short of o dempseys and coutwood players

West north west were always going to be the weakest team in this format and it doesnt seem fair that Ballyfin a weak senior club is their only senior football team .

Only Tyrell from camross and ryan mulanney from castletown are playing from the five or six hurling clubs so they are left to scrape a team from young guys from the Rock mountmellick Rosenallis and Ballyfin whos 3 best and county players are away in sean moore darragh connolly and james finn

Emo or port should been included with them they had only 15 yesterday which defeats the purpose of this excercise everyone there yesterday including the heath and emo people i was chatting were of the same that west north west team were always going be tye weakest and most disjointed.

Needs to be tweeked for next year .

Some good football on show from the north east with too many to mention evan costello evan keane and colm murphy really stood out in the second half for the north east .

Eoin keogh was the  best for the loosers with colm coss and james moore doing okay in spells
Ryan mullaney tried his best too

Not too many on the bank to watch this but still few pound more for the kolbe centre where people were being generously giving alot more than the two euro entrance fee being charged.
LAOIS ABÚ

Chrimtain

Quote from: Unlaoised on October 21, 2018, 01:56:53 PM
West north west were hammered by a North east side short of o dempseys and coutwood players

West north west were always going to be the weakest team in this format and it doesnt seem fair that Ballyfin a weak senior club is their only senior football team .

Only Tyrell from camross and ryan mulanney from castletown are playing from the five or six hurling clubs so they are left to scrape a team from young guys from the Rock mountmellick Rosenallis and Ballyfin whos 3 best and county players are away in sean moore darragh connolly and james finn

Emo or port should been included with them they had only 15 yesterday which defeats the purpose of this excercise everyone there yesterday including the heath and emo people i was chatting were of the same that west north west team were always going be tye weakest and most disjointed.

Needs to be tweeked for next year .

Some good football on show from the north east with too many to mention evan costello evan keane and colm murphy really stood out in the second half for the north east .

Eoin keogh was the  best for the loosers with colm coss and james moore doing okay in spells
Ryan mullaney tried his best too

Not too many on the bank to watch this but still few pound more for the kolbe centre where people were being generously giving alot more than the two euro entrance fee being charged.

I was at this match on Saturday, and although the West North West team were beaten, I thought Mullaney and Shelly played well for them. I presume Conor Meredith's absence from the North East panel (according to the programme) means that he is not committing to Laois for 2019.

Laois Rising

Quote from: Jd on October 19, 2018, 05:55:09 PM
I'm  not being awkward  but every club being sent down can argue that they are better than some club staying up.  I would advocate a gradual process  where two go down every year and 1 comes up or possibly 3 down with the third based on league performance

No club is being sent down by a selection committee in the boardroom. The eight clubs would be relegated on merit by finishing in the bottom two of their group. As I mentioned in earlier post dividing 16 clubs into 4 groups of 4 allows you scope to do this. I guarantee if this was put in place every club would have their house in order for the 2019 championship season. You could relegate 4 clubs one year and four clubs the next if you didn't want something as dramatic.

The two down, one up model doesn't work (look at fiasco of a few years ago). It is also so ridiculously drawn out and you are dealing with odd numbers that lead to convoluted championship structures. If memory serves me correct, Crettyard received a bye the year of the 15 club championship and therefore avoided possibility of relegation despite not winning a game. Why would you slowly pull away at a plaster when one good quick pull of it gets the job done. Same analogy should apply to reforming our current club structures.

To tease out the 4 groups of 4. You could seed teams based on their previous five years championship results e.g. 10 points championship win, 8 points beaten finalist, 6 points semi finalist, 4 points quarter finalist and 2 points third round loser. After adding the accumulated points, top four teams on points 1st seeds, second four 2nd seeds etc. Where clubs are tied on points you might then use league position as the deciding factor.   

As for tying championship relegation/promotion to league-very unfair to do when clubs do not have access to their county players for large parts of the league. Something I wouldn't be in favour of.     

Chrimtain

I notice that Adam Campion of St Josephs was one of those to catch the eye of the Leinster Express reporter at the second match in Crettyard. I saw him play for St Joe's during the year and thought he looked tenacious at corner back.