Kerry v Cork - Munster Final

Started by Kerry Mike, June 25, 2007, 09:28:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tatler Jack

Sean O'Sullivan is unlucky to be omitted. I felt last year his introduction into the team was as important as moving Donaghy to FF. Surprised also that Griffin is omitted if he is fit - his performance in the AI Final was one of the main reasons the game was over after 20 mins.

The balance in Cork forward line looks better this year and Goold is a much better forward than Conor McCarthy who just runs into cul de sacs especially against Kerry.
Should be close - another draw for the Munster Council?

Kerry Mike

Tatler there will be lots of dissapointed lads in the subs, but that the way it is, I assume PAt O'Shea and co-selectors are picking the team based on what they are seeing in training and not on reputation alone.
So if thats the case lads will have to burst a gut to one stay on the team and secondly to get onto the team.We are in a great position that we have a fully fit panel to pick from.

I am happy enough with the line up , I think it is a very strong setup, you have fellows like Griffin, Sean and Darren O'Sullivan and Paul O'Connor who made a good impression when brought on against Waterford all chomping at the bit for a piece of the action and that is a good thing. I think of the 15 starting positions there is really only 3 spots up for grabs at the moment, Mike Frank in the corner gets another run and also Declan O'Sullivan on the wing.

Sunday will also be a huge test for Mike Quirke. Murphy and Kavanagh are two fine midfielders and it will be a great battle there with Darragh O'Se thrown in to the mix as well. If it dosent work out for Quirke there is Griffin or Scanlon to bring in as well as the option of bringing Donaghy out to the middle. But its the key area.

Expect Galvin and Declan to play their roles for the breaking ball and hopefully be the platform to give the space  for Gooch and MFR to operate on the wings and in the corners.

Cork look very strong too espeicailly down the middle and I cant really see much in it, it could depend who wants it the most. Cant wait to see who come out on top between Donaghy and Canty.
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

magickingdom

big ask for quirke and i wouldnt be surprised to see tommy griffin on at some stage. heard donaghy was out sick one or two days this week so i hope he's ok. it'll be important that marc o se keeps masters quite too... all in all should be very interesting. btw in easons today getting the keys to the kingdom and the shop assistant said it was flying out the door all day. they'll be plenty bitching going on...

SuperDooperCooper

This is the first time our new look defense will be tested. Michael Meehan scored 2-7 against us in a recent challenge match defeat (1-19 to 4-11) and he didn't perform at all against Mayo or Leitrim. Waterford weren't up to much but they did manage to hit the cross bar and for all our riches on the bench genuine defensive cover is thin on the ground. Will be strange to be facing Cork without the pony he was made for these games.
Cork won Munster last year because they won midfield and this will be the vital area on Sunday. The diamond of Spillane, Murphy, Kavangh and O'Neill are all big men. I can't see Quirke lasting in midfield later in the year especially if we get to Croke Park where mobility will be an issue, it appears that Tommy Griffin doesn't have the game time behind him in time for the Munster final on Sunday.
I feel Kerry have more class up front MFR,Gooch, Declan O'Sullivan, Brozie and even Galvin and are all natural score getters and Donaghy on song can create and score (even if he isn't the most stylish kicker of the ball). However I'm not expecting too much from Donaghy on Sunday as he has only 6 weeks action under his belt since the dislocated shoulder, every week will bring him on as long as he is on song when (if) we get to Croker I will be happy.
Cork struggle to turn possession into scores, this is hardly a revelation but remains true. Master lack genuine pace to be considered top class but he is exceptionally accurate, I haven't seen Cussen in action but if he can feed Masters then Cork could still be playing in September. Gould needs to step up for Cork, talent unquestioned however he now needs to deliver on the senior stage. McMahon and O'Connor offer effort is not great scoring potential.
If Kerry gain over 45% possession we will win (as we did in the All-Ireland) semi final. I'm confident that Kerry & Cork will meet again before Sam is handed out.

Datsun Donaghy

Not sure this is entitled to be called a Final - Play-off would be the appropriate title. Afterall, there are only two footballing counties in Munster!!!!!!!

QuoteDD: If I said there was only 1 or 2 hurling teams in Ulster I am sure all the other counties who field teams and are trying to promote the game there would be highly offended. The same applies to the Munster counties and their efforts to promote football.

So file that in your filing cabinet and feck off!!!

Thanks for that K-M
I can take that as a big, fat "You're right - but I don't wish to admit it" kind of reply. In truth, it's a real easy point to use to wind you Munster boys up with. Simply due to the fact that it's true.

We have a few achillies of our own - so many that I can't get the feckin' filing cabinet drawer closed, but it's Championship time so let the slagging commence!!

darbyo

I think Cork will win this one, sometimes one team can beat another team not because they are better but because they can win certain match ups. Overall Kerry are still a better team than Cork but Cork have the players to nullify Kerrys main men. Canty will destroy Donaghy, Spillane will give Brosnan plenty of it and Cork will win midfield, Quirke isn't an intercounty midfielder. O'Neill and Cussen could cause untold damage with their height against a Kerry backline that lacks the height to dominate them in the air. In saying that I don't rate either player as particularily good footballers but Cussen in particular could be a big player on the edge of the square.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteIn truth, it's a real easy point to use to wind you Munster boys up with. Simply due to the fact that it's true.

The only thing that is "true" is that we are the current AI champions, that we have won 34 AI and that in 120 years of trying the entire province of Ulster has won a grand total of, what, 15 AI ??

...Thats what we know to be "true" everything else is just nordie speculation and whinging.

tyssam5

Mike, That shoulder must be heavy?

Go on down and have chat with Séan Walsh, apparently he wants a few rules of the game changed  :D

SuperDooperCooper

Anyone see a listing of the Cork subs?

Kerry Mike

None yet, but wouldn't you love to see the likes of the following somehow making an appearance. There would be some skelping....

Fionan Murray
Niall Cahalane
Conor Counihan
Kevin Kehily
Colman Corrigan
Larry Tompkins
Billy Morgan

AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

INDIANA

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on June 27, 2007, 10:49:54 PM
QuoteIn truth, it's a real easy point to use to wind you Munster boys up with. Simply due to the fact that it's true.

The only thing that is "true" is that we are the current AI champions, that we have won 34 AI and that in 120 years of trying the entire province of Ulster has won a grand total of, what, 15 AI ??

...Thats what we know to be "true" everything else is just nordie speculation and whinging.

But when you only had to win two games  a season to win half of them. Clare/Tipp/Waterford/Limerick are hardly the last bastions of Gaelic Football in the country. I think Kerry people forget that sometimes.

Kerry Mike

QuoteBut when you only had to win two games  a season to win half of them.

Could you give us a few examples of the 17 years where we only had to win 2 games to win the AI?
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football

INDIANA

so you consider beating clare/waterford/tipperary etc as quality opposition? leave it out- I could think of several club teams that would beat those counties comfortably that's the point I was making. Kerry can get all High and Mighty about how many All-Irelands they've won- but with all due respect the annual meeting with Cork was the only challenge they have ever faced in Munster. I'm not knocking Kerry football- far from it but i am adding a sense of perspective to the likes of Mr Sheehy who appears to have lost his.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on June 29, 2007, 01:58:48 AM
QuoteKerry can get all High and Mighty about how many All-Irelands they've won

No we dont, its when begrudging gobshites constantly speculate as to how their aunt would be their uncle if she had balls that
we feel the need to remind them of the only "known" facts.

and who the hell are you to comment to the merits of Kerry AI wins anyway....who did Dublin have to beat in the 70's, 80's  ?

..not to the mention ye won half ye're AI with non-dubs (many of them Kerrymen) playing on the "Dublin" team
.. not to mention most of them were back in the early part of the century
..not to mention the 1.5 million ye have to pick from

Yet another friendly and conciliatory post from Sheehy... is there no end to this man's congeniality!?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Bensars

I know Donaghy was only back from injury for the waterford game and was held relatively quiet. Any word if he has improved since then ?