Steps...

Started by Dinny Breen, July 24, 2017, 08:23:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinny Breen

Definitely getting worse...1st Cork goal the latest...
#newbridgeornowhere

tonto1888

I was thinking that when I watched the Sunday game last night

magpie seanie

It's absolutely rampant and has been for years. Easily the most abused rule in the game. I have great sympathy for defenders because it is practically impossible to stop an opponent if they're allowed to violate this rule. Players should use the ball or face the consequences. If gaelic football was refereed correctly it would be much better.

Referees need to understand that allowing advantage doesn't mean you allow 10-12 steps. Hand up for advantage, when they take too many steps bring it back for the free.

seafoid

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 24, 2017, 08:38:12 AM
It's absolutely rampant and has been for years. Easily the most abused rule in the game. I have great sympathy for defenders because it is practically impossible to stop an opponent if they're allowed to violate this rule. Players should use the ball or face the consequences. If gaelic football was refereed correctly it would be much better.

Referees need to understand that allowing advantage doesn't mean you allow 10-12 steps. Hand up for advantage, when they take too many steps bring it back for the free.
Steps mean tackling is a mess. It is impossible to time a tackle if steps are abused
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

magpie seanie

Quote from: seafoid on July 24, 2017, 08:40:20 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on July 24, 2017, 08:38:12 AM

Steps mean tackling is a mess. It is impossible to time a tackle if steps are abused

Exactly.

DuffleKing

Couldn't agree more. It's an epidemic at this stage but won't get any airtime because enforcing it isn't a route to more scores therefore it couldn't possibly improve the game.

haranguerer

A bugbear of mine - I've said on here before that I think you can attribute a lot of issues with the game directly to allowing too many steps. Should be able to time positioning and tackle so as to only contact the ball, but when you know the lad is going to get 8 steps to get round you you physically need to stop him, which makes the whole thing a mess.

TheClutch

I couldn't agree more with this. I remember when I was younger going to watch inter county games and being amazed at how many steps the players were being allowed, and it is getting worse. Some referees use the old "its steps or seconds" excuse as reasoning behind it, definitely making defenders life more difficult. 
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

vallankumous

Quote from: TheClutch on July 24, 2017, 09:39:35 AM
I couldn't agree more with this. I remember when I was younger going to watch inter county games and being amazed at how many steps the players were being allowed, and it is getting worse. Some referees use the old "its steps or seconds" excuse as reasoning behind it, definitely making defenders life more difficult.

The rule allows for 'time it takes to make 4 steps'.
It is let go too often though.

TheClutch

Quote from: vallankumous on July 24, 2017, 09:45:23 AM
Quote from: TheClutch on July 24, 2017, 09:39:35 AM

The rule allows for 'time it takes to make 4 steps'.
It is let go too often though.

Yeh I agree.
Ryan Johnston from Down does a very exaggerated bounce when he is on the ball. Brings the ball almost up over the height of his head very slowly in an almost basketball type fashion before actually bouncing the ball, in which time he has taken 6-7 steps and I've never seen him get blown for it at club or county level - smart play or bending the rules?
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)

Smokin Joe

Quote from: TheClutch on July 24, 2017, 10:08:23 AM

Yeh I agree.
Ryan Johnston from Down does a very exaggerated bounce when he is on the ball. Brings the ball almost up over the height of his head very slowly in an almost basketball type fashion before actually bouncing the ball, in which time he has taken 6-7 steps and I've never seen him get blown for it at club or county level - smart play or bending the rules?

Alan Brogan used to do something similar but Johnston is way more exaggerated.  It's very smart by him as the refs seem to judge it as he is bouncing the ball (even though it hasn't left his hand yet) and so he is allowed to take a large amount of steps.

manfromdelmonte

Ciaran Kilkenny takes 3/4 steps while carrying the ball in the hand as he bounces
I would call that a foul

rosnarun

Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 24, 2017, 10:11:27 AM

Yeh I agree.

Alan Brogan used to do something similar but Johnston is way more exaggerated.  It's very smart by him as the refs seem to judge it as he is bouncing the ball (even though it hasn't left his hand yet) and so he is allowed to take a large amount of steps.
I think that is fair enough as the ball is there to be tackled while it is being held out waiting to be bounced .  a good tackle should win that ball back as opposed to the head first ball under there arm method of some players
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Esmarelda

Quote from: rosnarun on July 24, 2017, 10:21:43 AM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on July 24, 2017, 10:11:27 AM

Yeh I agree.

I think that is fair enough as the ball is there to be tackled while it is being held out waiting to be bounced .  a good tackle should win that ball back as opposed to the head first ball under there arm method of some players
The ball can be knocked from a player's hand at any time so on that basis, and to clamp down on the likes of Johnston, I think the bounce should be deemed to have begun when the ball leaves the hand.

I've been saying for ages that the rule should be changed to three seconds rather than four steps, for the reasons outline above. Three seconds, no interpretation needed.

nrico2006

Funny enough that this topic came up as the woman was watching hurling yesterday and she has tried to grasp the rules over the years and was watcing it under the textbook steps guidance, 4 steps/4 seconds.  She kept getting confused at the number of steps being took and why it was allowed.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'